Cruising the East Anglian Waterways

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Has anybody spent time cruising the East Anglian river network ?

If I go ahead with a narrow boat purchase which is near Ely I might stay around that area for the remainder of the summer and autumn. I'll spend the time getting used to living on the boat, making any personal changes for longer term living and prepare for spending spring to autumn next year travelling further afield.

Just wondering if there is enough to keep me occupied/interesting in this time.

Didn't realise that the Nene was quite so heavily locked so at least there will be enough practice to do locks single handed !

Yes, I think the area is one of the most attractive and interesting in the country, so much so that despite my home mooring being in the North of England, I have spent three summers exploring the Ouse and its tributaries and the MIddle Level.  Scholar Gypsy of these forums probably knows more about the system than anyone else here.   You will need to have a mooring for the winter, though, as continuous cruising  is not comparable to the canal system, there being no general permission to stay in one spot for up to 14 days.  Most Environment Agency moorings are 48 hours.

6 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Didn't realise that the Nene was quite so heavily locked so at least there will be enough practice to do locks single handed !

If you think the Nene is heavily locked you are in for a shock once you get onto the canals.

Thanks for the plug Mac of Cygnet. I've been based at Ely since 2014 & have not got bored yet. As noted above moorings are a bit constrained,  so it is worth joining GOBA great Ouse boating association who provide about 30 (Wicken Fen nature reserve has to be my favourite). And there are a number of places where with common sense wild mooring is possible. 

I personally enjoy exploring churches, of which there are quite a few very fine ones . They are often the only buildings of any real interest In the area

Lots of photos in my blog, happy to answer any questions.  Today I am going from Lincolnshire fens to Cambridgeshire, Boston to Wisbech, so won't be posting much...

Nene single handed is fine if you have a good system, mine is explained in one of my April postings  ....

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/contents/

As an aside to this thread, just read an interesting article in waterways world on the history of the Nicholson's canal guide; what is the reason Nicholson's don't make one for East Anglia? I know there are other guides available, had to use Imray when we did a trip to the Cam and really didn't find them very useful.  

3 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

As an aside to this thread, just read an interesting article in waterways world on the history of the Nicholson's canal guide; what is the reason Nicholson's don't make one for East Anglia? I know there are other guides available, had to use Imray when we did a trip to the Cam and really didn't find them very useful.  

I have an old Nicholsons that cover it

I think Imray guides (one for Nene one for G Ouse) are the most widely used and sold. But they dont include a full ordanance survey map so in my opinion not as good as Nicholson's for exploring surrounding area etc

• 2 weeks later...