Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Maybe Cyclists Should Have Compulsory Insurance

Featured Posts

A CYCLIST who crashed into a yoga teacher after she stepped into the road while staring at her phone has today been ordered to pay up to £100,000 in compensation and court costs.

Gemma Brushett, 28, was knocked unconscious after she was hit by Robert Hazeldean on a busy crossing as he rode home through central London in 2015.

At Central London County Court today, Judge Mauger awarded her £4,161.79 in damages after saying the 8mm scar she suffered to her lip did not wreck her "very attractive" appearance.

The judge also ordered Mr Hazeldean to pay her legal bills, thought to be in the region of £100k, because he was not insured at the time of the crash.

The landscape designer, who has since moved to Côte d’Azur in France to start a new life, said he was "deeply disappointed" by the decision and could be left "bankrupt".

He said: “Today finally brings to a close four years that have taken a great toll on my mental health.

“I am of course deeply disappointed with the outcome, reeling from the impact it will have on my life, and concerned by the precedent that it might set for other cyclists.

“I would urge other cyclists to take out insurance through British Cycling to help protect them from experiencing what I’ve gone through.”

“I am more grateful than I can say for the support of my wonderful girlfriend and my friends and family. I would not have got through this without them."

Judge Mauger said Mr Hazeldean was “a calm and reasonable road user.”

But ruled he was liable to pay damages as "cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways."

Although Ms Brushett was "was looking at her phone" when she walked into the road in front of him, Mr Hazeldean knew the road was not entirely clear when he tried to ride through.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

They certainly should, my wife has and she only cycles about once a year. Its peanuts and as a road user cyclists should have it just the same as other road vehicles.

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They certainly should, my wife has and she only cycles about once a year. Its peanuts and as a road user cyclists should have it just the same as other road vehicles.

In my view that includes number plates and some form of tax for the over (say) 12s. failure to display said plates confiscation of the bike and a hefty fine. That would at least make it easier to identify the pratts.

• Greenie 4

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

In my view that includes number plates and some form of tax for the over (say) 12s. failure to display said plates confiscation of the bike and a hefty fine. That would at least make it easier to identify the pratts.

Regrettably, I agree.

Time was - when we all rode penny farthings, there were  few accidents insurance was - perhaps - a luxury.

Nowadays with sports bikes easily capable of  motor vehicle speeds in towns, there is a need for proper insurance to be made compulsory - but implies some form of registration -Hmmm... 

Just now, OldGoat said:

Regrettably, I agree.

Time was - when we all rode penny farthings, there were  few accidents insurance was - perhaps - a luxury.

Nowadays with sports bikes easily capable of  motor vehicle speeds in towns, there is a need for proper insurance to be made compulsory - but implies some form of registration -Hmmm... 

In my opinion though a good idea cycle registration would not need to be covered. The person could be covered. A policy could be made available as is now and the person is covered whilst riding whatever cycle they are on. The cycle itself would not be insured but thats not the issue, the policy would cover damage/ injury/death to others and thats what is important.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In my opinion though a good idea cycle registration would not need to be covered. The person could be covered. A policy could be made available as is now and the person is covered whilst riding whatever cycle they are on. The cycle itself would not be insured but thats not the issue, the policy would cover damage/ injury/death to others and thats what is important.

Yes, that makes more practical sense, so have a (now defunct) Greenie

The challenge then is  how to persuade folks to take out cover if they don't have to. I can get all sorts of extra cover with my house insurance, but then what about if you live on a boat or rent a property?

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Yes, that makes more practical sense, so have a (now defunct) Greenie

The challenge then is  how to persuade folks to take out cover if they don't have to. I can get all sorts of extra cover with my house insurance, but then what about if you live on a boat or rent a property?

It has to be made compulsory. If you ride a cycle you have to buy insurance. I suppose age would have to come into it somewhere but it cannot be that hard to do. After all everyone who watches tv has to have a licence but the set isnt insured. Anyone fishing has a licence its the person not the equipment thats licensed. I even pay insurance against damage when I go metal detecting and that isnt compulsory.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A CYCLIST who crashed into a yoga teacher after she stepped into the road while staring at her phone has today been ordered to pay up to £100,000 in compensation and court costs.

Great, so now instead if making PHONE ZOMBIES take responsibility for their selfish behaviour we are now rewarding them and enabling them. I remember I as kid we had the public announcement adverts for the green cross code and now rather than tell people to look where they're going, we're embedding traffic lights in pavements to help them NOT look where they are going. 

If you are a cyclist of any kind you can help to protect yourself By having third party insurance. Even if your bike is cheap and you don't cycle a lot don't underestimate the idiocy of other people. Third party insurance specific to cyclist can be obtained through cyclists' organisations and associations. 

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/benefits

And if possible invest in a good GoPro that you can wear as a body cam. There has been a huge population explosion in the last few decades thing are not as safe or as easy as they were in the 70s and we need to adapt to protect ourselves. Just remember Phone Zombies do it driving cars too. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Third party insurance specific to cyclist can't be obtained through cyclists' organisations and associations. 

Where can you get it then?

• Haha 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Bought the wifes on line in seconds.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Third party insurance specific to cyclist can't be obtained through cyclists' organisations and associations. 

I think it can.

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Great, so now instead if making PHONE ZOMBIES take responsibility for their selfish behaviour we are now rewarding them and enabling them. I remember I as kid we had the public announcement adverts for the green cross code and now rather than tell people to look where they're going, we're embedding traffic lights in pavements to help them NOT look where they are going. 

If you are a cyclist of any kind you can help to protect yourself By having third party insurance. Even if your bike is cheap and you don't cycle a lot don't underestimate the idiocy of other people. Third party insurance specific to cyclist can't be obtained through cyclists' organisations and associations. 

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/benefits

And if possible invest in a good GoPro that you can wear as a body cam. There has been a huge population explosion in the last few decades thing are not as safe or as easy as they were in the 70s and we need to adapt to protect ourselves. Just remember Phone Zombies do it driving cars too. 

Thing is a cycle is a vehicle. If a cyclists through his fault ( happens a lot ) smacks into a car at speed it can right the car off but he/she doesnt usualy have insurance. Most other vehicle users have insurance so why shouldnt that one class of vehicle owner be allowed not to? Todays cycles can travel at speed more than enough to kill someone.

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it can.

Well spotted. :D

11 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Apparently it was at a crossing and there were 'loads' of people crossing and the cyclist was trying to work his way thru them.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Although Ms Brushett was "was looking at her phone" when she walked into the road in front of him, Mr Hazeldean knew the road was not entirely clear when he tried to ride through.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thing is a cycle is a vehicle. If a cyclists through his fault ( happens a lot ) smacks into a car at speed it can right the car off but he/she doesnt usualy have insurance. Most other vehicle users have insurance so why shouldnt that one class of vehicle owner be allowed not to? Todays cycles can travel at speed more than enough to kill someone.

This is exactly what happened to me a few years ago in Central London. Cyclist tried to squeeze through a gap that wasn't there, wobbled and bounced off my stationary car, damaging two panels. Cost me £500 to fix, coz he just peddaled off, leaving me stranded in traffic.

Thst is why i believe cyclists should be identifiable and insured.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung & clarification
  • Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Todays cycles can travel at speed more than enough to kill someone.

A bike has always been able to do that. It's just had these days there are 12,000,000 more people in this country than there was in your beloved 70's so everything is busier.

Just to put that in to perspective there is only 5,500,000 people in Scotland, so you old guys managed to birth a whole two new Scotlands. :giggles:  It's all your fault we're over crowded. :P

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I suppose that's easier than meet a girl, get to know her, propose to her ...

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Sounds easy, how many wifes did you buy?  One is enough for me...

7 minutes ago, dor said:

Sounds easy, how many wifes did you buy?  One is enough for me...

You know the punishment for bigamy?  

Two mothers-in-law!

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently it was at a crossing and there were 'loads' of people crossing and the cyclist was trying to work his way thru them.

No excuses in that case .  Why didn't he just pay up?

For a minor injury £2k might have settled it.

Insurance is a red herring in my opinion. This victim would still have been injured and suffered her non-life-changing 8mm scar worth £4k whether or not the cylist was insured. 

A better solution in my opinion would be a 10mph national speed limit for bicycles. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Insurance is a red herring in my opinion. This victim would still have been injured and suffered her non-life-changing 8mm scar worth £4k whether or not the cylist was insured. 

A better solution in my opinion would be a 10mph national speed limit for bicycles. 

Given that cars kill and injure thousands of times more pedestrians than bikes, wouldn't a national speed limit of 10mph for cars make more sense?

Just pointing out that this is all a massive over-reaction to what should have been a trivial incident, not one which lead to 100k legal bills...

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A better solution in my opinion would be a 10 mph national speed limit for bicycles. 

Would that be enforced in the same way as a 4 MPH restriction on the canals?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

This is exactly what happened to me a few years ago in Central London. Cyclist tried to squeeze through a gap that wasn't there, wobbled and bounced off my stationary car, damaging two panels. Cost me £500 to fix, coz he just peddaled off, leaving me stranded in traffic.

Thst is why i believe cyclists should be identifiable and insured.

Absolutely. If they were easily identifiable at least some may think twice about stupid behaviour. I have no idea why some here can't see that. The only practical way is number plates and registration. I bet the DVLA computer could do it easily.

2 minutes ago, hider said:

Would that be enforced in the same way as a 4 MPH restriction on the canals?

You mean by allowing the roads to pothole and collapse so you can't go faster then 7mph (analogy to lack of dredging)