Tim and Pru.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Surely it`s all relative, I`m forgetting loads of stuff I used to know (or thought I did......) many is the time I just cannot think of the word I need to use.

You clearly have little knowledge of the symptoms of dementia. Like Alan I watched a close relative slowly decline with dementia, and  It has nothing to do with long term memory loss, which can remain intact for a long lime, It is short term memory failure, which characterises dementia together with a gradual change in personality.

49 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Theres nowt to choose between em. I havnt seen them this year or indeed last year so am unsure if they still have their boat?

They certainly still had it last year, and I know where they moor it.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

If you met her, as many of us have, you would realise immediately that she is suffering from dementia. The problem is that she always looks amazing, which detracts from awareness of her illness.

That's curious, because I'm told I once shared a few locks with them. I had no idea who they were at the time and even now only the vaguest idea. 

I rather hope they found it quite refreshing to be treated like normal people.....

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

You clearly have little knowledge of the symptoms of dementia. Like Alan I watched a close relative slowly decline with dementia, and  It has nothing to do with long term memory loss, which can remain intact for a long lime, It is short term memory failure, which characterises dementia together with a gradual change in personality.

They will be in Brsunston for the Histotic Boat Rally next weekend

I can't watch the programme. Too much stuff I'm not interested in like life as an actor, poetry, their family, etc, and not enough about boats, boating and the waterways. I guess I'm not really interested in Tim and Pru and the programmes seem to be largely about themselves.

I'd rather just watch something like "All Aboard" where they mounted a camera on the bow of a boat and went along the K&A for 2 hours without any commentary. It was broadcast on BBC4 a couple of years ago. I think they did 3 or 4 different waterways.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I can't watch the programme. Too much stuff I'm not interested in like life as an actor, poetry, their family, etc, and not enough about boats, boating and the waterways. I guess I'm not really interested in Tim and Pru and the programmes seem to be largely about themselves.

I'd rather just watch something like "All Aboard" where they mounted a camera on the bow of a boat and went along the K&A for 2 hours without any commentary. It was broadcast on BBC4 a couple of years ago. I think they did 3 or 4 different waterways.

If you don't watch it and haven't seen all of the series, I don't think you are in any position to form an opinion. The programmes not aimed at boaters but the general public.  I like the series and it does give quite a bit of historical information and shows a lot of places i've not been to but will probably do so now.

18 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

................The incident I recall was when he set off with the centre line clearly still attached to the mooring, causing the boat to come to an abrupt halt and tilt over. This was immediately blamed on Pru and she profusely apologised whereas he was on the helm so it was him who failed to notice that the boat was still moored. Bow line I can understand the failure to see from the helm, but the centre line?? come on, that was his fault.

A cameo piece of theatre for the intro me thinks. Although I haven't seen many episodes since they moved off the English canals all credit to the pair of them. I hope we are as capable in our mid-eighties.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Typical of many similar programs these days, it's more about the presenter than the subject. It's quite possible to make a program that's interesting and informative, enlightening even, without majoring on the personal life of the presenter. As examples I'll offer Ray Mears and Jeremy Wade.  

And Tomorrow's World! We never heard a PEEP out of Raymond Baxter about his personal life.... missed a trick there didn't he!!

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And Tomorrow's World! We never heard a PEEP out of Raymond Baxter about his personal life.... missed a trick there didn't he!!

Ah, but in his day the were presenters not "celebrities."

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

If you don't watch it and haven't seen all of the series, I don't think you are in any position to form an opinion. The programmes not aimed at boaters but the general public.  I like the series and it does give quite a bit of historical information and shows a lot of places i've not been to but will probably do so now.

I enjoyed the book

I just read its Pru's birthday today she is 87, I will be very happy if I am still fit enough to go boating at that age

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

If you don't watch it and haven't seen all of the series, I don't think you are in any position to form an opinion.

You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, but seeing every minute of all the episodes in all the series isn't a prerequisite.

Anybody can formulate an opinion on what "more of the same" was going to be like. I don't need to see every episode of "Love Island" to tell me what I might get from it (FFOFA).

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mr Baxter, I believe was a successful Spitfire pilot during the war. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I enjoyed the book

I just read its Pru's birthday today she is 87, I will be very happy if I am still fit enough to go boating at that age

I'll be happy if I'm still around at that age.

• Greenie 2

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:48, David Schweizer said:

On the contrary, two close family members have dementia.

On 22/06/2019 at 14:55, ditchcrawler said:

I enjoyed the book

Too true innitt. My old mum was still leaning against the balance beam on occasion till the age of 95. Alas now at 98 and a half lol , she stays on the boat on the odd occasion she comes aboard now.

• Greenie 1

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:44, robtheplod said:

I like the Tim & Pru series, but only when doing the UK canals... not so much the others....

I found many of the foreign waterways very interesting and, in fact, have hiring a boat in France on our list of stuff we want to do. We went to Argentina about 10 years ago and whilst there went up to Tigre so it was fascinating to watch Tim & Pru going up the same river, somewhere relatively few Britains have ever gone to. Not that we were in a boat, we just went for a day trip from Buenos Aires by train !

Edited by Justin Smith