Tim and Pru.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Enjoyed the last two episodes of Great Canal Journeys. Standedge Tunnel and Rochdale Canal are both localish to me.

The French canal was very lmpressive,nice and wide with manned locks!

It was quite amusing to see Tim weaving all over the canal because of wheel steering.This can be quite challenging for those of us used to a tiller,usually because of the gearing,a lot of wheel movement equals little rudder movement,so there is a tendency to oversteer untill you are used to it.

I do wish Tim would stop going on about his wife's illness,not that I am unsympathetic,but I think it spoils the programme a bit. Although there is one shot of her crossing a lock gate and without it being fully closed!  (I wouldn't be happy doing that) so she is quite a capable crew member.

Although the programme is only a snapshot of canal boating, I think it does a good job of promoting canals and boating.

I appreciate that Pru was, indeed, very brave to step across the gap between the gates, but remember that not only was there a camera man and probably a sound man and director present, I'm guessing the amount of safety back-up on site was huge as this was a TV job.Although I'm not detracting from her great 'have a go' attitude at all.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I've not re-watched an episode in a while, but I disagree about the program making frequent reference to Pru's dementia.

Anybody who has had to live with the consequences of somebody getting dementia, will be well aware just how difficult is is to get the subject openly discussed, and to understand it better.  In fact there often seems to be some kind of taboo that it should not be discussed.

I think the Wests and their family have taken an incredibly brave decision to openly discuss exactly what it mauns in practice, and the fact that Pru is clearly a very intelligent and erudite person but no more exempt from the diagnosis than anybody else to me sends a powerful message.

As we bet better at keeping the physical body alive for more and more years it is inevitable that this is an issue that will face more and more families.  In fact, when you have been involved i it, and get talking to people, itis staggering how many people have had experience of it.  It's just many make a point of not talking about it.

I heartily applaud what Tim and Pru have done, and other TV canal programs are available for those who would rather not have this kind of content.

TBH she doesn't seem that bad, we always find it slightly amusing when Tim starts going on about Pru`s dementia, compared to a few we know she`s sharp as a pin.

4 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Enjoyed the last two episodes of Great Canal Journeys. Standedge Tunnel and Rochdale Canal are both localish to me.

The French canal was very lmpressive,nice and wide with manned locks!

It was quite amusing to see Tim weaving all over the canal because of wheel steering.This can be quite challenging for those of us used to a tiller,usually because of the gearing,a lot of wheel movement equals little rudder movement,so there is a tendency to oversteer untill you are used to it.

I do wish Tim would stop going on about his wife's illness,not that I am unsympathetic,but I think it spoils the programme a bit. Although there is one shot of her crossing a lock gate and without it being fully closed!  (I wouldn't be happy doing that) so she is quite a capable crew member.

Although the programme is only a snapshot of canal boating, I think it does a good job of promoting canals and boating.

When we hire a boat with a steering wheel the first essential step, is to ascertain exactly where dead ahead is, then mark the wheel with a piece of insulation tape !

Interestingly it`s not actually that easy to find where dead ahead is because of side winds and/or currents.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I think the Wests and their family have taken an incredibly brave decision to openly discuss exactly what it means in practice, and the fact that Pru is clearly a very intelligent and erudite person but no more exempt from the diagnosis than anybody else to me sends a powerful message.

^^ Yes, this. I don't watch the programme, because I dislike vicarious travel and dumbed-down commentaries, but do I agree about getting dementia/Alzheimers/mental illness generally into the public eye.

40 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

TBH she doesn't seem that bad, we always find it slightly amusing when Tim starts going on about Pru`s dementia, compared to a few we know she`s sharp as a pin.

If you met her, as many of us have, you would realise immediately that she is suffering from dementia. The problem is that she always looks amazing, which detracts from awareness of her illness.

15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If you met her, as many of us have, you would realise immediately that she is suffering from dementia. The problem is that she always looks amazing, which detracts from awareness of her illness.

Surely it`s all relative, I`m forgetting loads of stuff I used to know (or thought I did......) many is the time I just cannot think of the word I need to use.

59 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Surely it`s all relative, I`m forgetting loads of stuff I used to know (or thought I did......) many is the time I just cannot think of the word I need to use.

Indeed, I've been forgetting stuff since I first took a  exam, many, many moons ago. ?

5 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

I appreciate that Pru was, indeed, very brave to step across the gap between the gates, but remember that not only was there a camera man and probably a sound man and director present, I'm guessing the amount of safety back-up on site was huge as this was a TV job.Although I'm not detracting from her great 'have a go' attitude at all.

Are you sure it was Put and not her body double? 

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

This illustrates the need for more widespread information very well. There is a world of difference between dementia and simple forgetfulness.

NHS linky

And by the way, don't call him Shirley.

Edited by Machpoint005

I was quite impressed by the 2 episode trip they did on the Vietnam canals which was shown on More4 this week & last. Not a lock anywhere.  I loved the outboard motors the Vietnamese create with a large motor on a long stern tube,

3 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

When we hire a boat with a steering wheel the first essential step, is to ascertain exactly where dead ahead is, then mark the wheel with a piece of insulation tape !

Interestingly it`s not actually that easy to find where dead ahead is because of side winds and/or currents.

Whilst I have the fullest of sympathy with Pru's dementia, it strikes me that Tim isn't that sharp himself (he is 84, whereas Pru is 86). The incident I recall was when he set off with the centre line clearly still attached to the mooring, causing the boat to come to an abrupt halt and tilt over. This was immediately blamed on Pru and she profusely apologised whereas he was on the helm so it was him who failed to notice that the boat was still moored. Bow line I can understand the failure to see from the helm, but the centre line?? come on, that was his fault.

• Greenie 1

Being a cynic - I think it's all been carefully choreographed - perhaps to indicate that the canals are not only for the fit and healthy but also for those to whom life has many challenges.

Certainly Pru's first 'accident' with the centre line in the lock has happened to many of 'us' and her response was staged. It spoils the series for me, which are far superior to the other series attempt which  pales into insignificance . 

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Being a cynic - I think it's all been carefully choreographed - perhaps to indicate that the canals are not only for the fit and healthy but also for those to whom life has many challenges.

Certainly Pru's first 'accident' with the centre line in the lock has happened to many of 'us' and her response was staged. It spoils the series for me, which are far superior to the other series attempt which  pales into insignificance . 

Whilst I'd agree that a lot of judicious editing takes place, I'm not so sure how easy it would be to choreograph the script for a dementia sufferer. Having said that, they have done a massive amount to increase the profile of our canals and whatever the pro's and con's of the actual programme making, they are certainly to be lauded for that. How many times when in conversation with a non-boater at a lock or on the towpath do they say,"Oh, I've seen that series with Tim and Pru", I enjoy it for what it is.

• Greenie 1

Ah, that's awesome Ray, thanks for the memory jog! First heard that on Terry Wogan's radio show and spent ages figuring out how to play in on guitar (probably be much quicker for someone who's any good!) - time well wasted.  Tom also wrote "No Regrets" so he's deservedly got a decent pension. 

3 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

The best description of age related memory loss was from ( if I remember correctly) was from some jazz singer who said memory is like a bucket.When it's  full it overflows.

I can remember quite clearly my schooldays and misspent youth,my working days and some lovely people that I have met,but I have some difficulty remembering what I did two days ago!

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

The best description of age related memory loss was from ( if I remember correctly) was from some jazz singer who said memory is like a bucket.When it's  full it overflows.

I can remember quite clearly my schooldays and misspent youth,my working days and some lovely people that I have met,but I have some difficulty remembering what I did two days ago!

My sister has a similar description by saying that her head is full and to remember new things it is necessary to forget others to make space for them :rolleyes:. It doesn't however explain forgetting what I did yesterday though:unsure:

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I've not re-watched an episode in a while, but I disagree about the program making frequent reference to Pru's dementia.

Anybody who has had to live with the consequences of somebody getting dementia, will be well aware just how difficult is is to get the subject openly discussed, and to understand it better.  In fact there often seems to be some kind of taboo that it should not be discussed.

I think the Wests and their family have taken an incredibly brave decision to openly discuss exactly what it mauns in practice, and the fact that Pru is clearly a very intelligent and erudite person but no more exempt from the diagnosis than anybody else to me sends a powerful message.

As we bet better at keeping the physical body alive for more and more years it is inevitable that this is an issue that will face more and more families.  In fact, when you have been involved i it, and get talking to people, itis staggering how many people have had experience of it.  It's just many make a point of not talking about it.

I heartily applaud what Tim and Pru have done, and other TV canal programs are available for those who would rather not have this kind of content.

I totally agree with most of your comment Alan,but your last paragraph about tv programmes  does sound a tad snide to me.It sounds like you're having a go at Mad Harold.

7 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes agreed. Like you we have come across them many times in this location and its true to say that the bad boat handling skills shown on the tv programme are not just for the camera, he really is that bad!!  Nice couple though.

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Whilst I'd agree that a lot of judicious editing takes place, I'm not so sure how easy it would be to choreograph the script for a dementia sufferer. Having said that, they have done a massive amount to increase the profile of our canals and whatever the pro's and con's of the actual programme making, they are certainly to be lauded for that. How many times when in conversation with a non-boater at a lock or on the towpath do they say,"Oh, I've seen that series with Tim and Pru", I enjoy it for what it is.

I agree with you, but my wife isn`t so sure, her theory is most of the people watching Great Canal Journeys are actually already boaters (of varying degrees of frequency) already ! She may be right, or the truth may be somewhere between the two. Whatever the truth, I love the series.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes agreed. Like you we have come across them many times in this location and its true to say that the bad boat handling skills shown on the tv programme are not just for the camera, he really is that bad!!  Nice couple though.

Surely the imperfect boat handling skills on the show are one of the biggest sellers of boating holidays. Many of those I tell of our boating holidays are a bit intimidated about having to handle a "big boat". They learn that every boater makes mistakes, the great majority really are something and nothing with no damage done, thus seeing it on the TV may reduce their intimidation and increase the chances they`ll hire. And make no mistake, the more boaters there are, including hirers, the better for the canal system.

Edited by Justin Smith

3 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I agree with you, but my wife isn`t so sure, her theory is most of the people watching Great Canal Journeys are actually already boaters (of varying degrees of frequency) already ! She may be right, or the truth may be somewhere between the two. Whatever the truth, I love the series.

Surely the imperfect boat handling skills on the show are one of the biggest sellers of boating holidays. Many of those I tell of our boating holidays are a bit intimidated about having to handle a "big boat". They have to learn everyone makes mistakes, and the great majority really aren`t that serious, thus seeing it on the TV may reduce their intimidation !

This may be true, but believe me, he really is that bad. Last time we came across them on their narrowboat we were gaining on them on a straight stretch of the Oxford and I looked in my binos and could see it was them as we expected. I never intimidate so for ages we hung back and I kept knocking he boat out of gear on and off for several minutes until eventualy pru looked behind and smiled and waved us by. Tim moved over a little, dead slow to let us past and immediately went straight up the bank bless him.

• Happy 1

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

only seen Pru steering

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

only seen Pru steering

Theres nowt to choose between em. I havnt seen them this year or indeed last year so am unsure if they still have their boat?