Most photogenic stretches of The Rochdale?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Well I did say "not sure" so sounds like I am wrong, still a very pretty bridge....but then again (and probably wrong here too) I thought Stephenson was involved in digging the big summit tunnel so he was involved with this railway?

................Dave

thanks everyone for all the tips.  really helpful.  if you're interested the rochdale will be epiosde 3 in the series.   the overall journey is from shardlow to liverpool via the t&m, caldon, macc, peak forest, huddersfield narrow & broad, c&h, rochdale, bridgewater and l&l. 

Edited by larrysanders

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Well I did say "not sure" so sounds like I am wrong, still a very pretty bridge....but then again (and probably wrong here too) I thought Stephenson was involved in digging the big summit tunnel so he was involved with this railway?

................Dave

Yes sorry. I was being smart arsed. Check what you originally wrote versus the above. Not sure if it was George or Robert or both though.

JP

Stevensons workshop was the Paragon Works, a long engine shed between the canal and the railway at Smithybridge, now home to several small businesses. Lovely pics, but stop encouraging offcomers you lot. There's no water and lots of wolves! Fierce with sharp teeth! Disguised in sheep outfits.

• Greenie 1

On 21/06/2019 at 09:13, larrysanders said:

thanks everyone for all the tips.  really helpful.  if you're interested the rochdale will be epiosde 3 in the series.   the overall journey is from shardlow to liverpool via the t&m, caldon, macc, peak forest, huddersfield narrow & broad, c&h, rochdale, bridgewater and l&l. 

We had a short "out and back" hire on the Rochdale out of Sowerby Bridge. I quite like just either side of Bridge 7 ….  

_IMG1642

On 22/06/2019 at 05:37, Boaty Jo said:

When you're flying over Littleborough give us a heads-up and I'll brush my hair.

And I'll wipe my head with a damp cloth. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2019 at 10:26, Tim Lewis said:

Taken a while ago, 2002. I believe that the tree growth makes taking this photo problemetic now!

145b Rochdale Canal Gauxholme 15th September 0145.jpg

You can certainly see less of the canal from that viewpoint now.

20190701_133848.jpg.195ca5b13ddf4ca72236b979deb29323.jpg

Still a good view looking the other way.

20190701_133904.jpg.52f3f92663a40bf407182fdad9c76b8c.jpg

• Greenie 1

There might just possibly be another of those on the sluice on the stream weir at the east end, Warland Gate. The feeder runs behind the cottages and lock house from the stream. (Strange names, Summit pound runs North South) There are also ancient kilns in the hills, at Rakewood, where the M62 Viaduct is. There was coal and iron and strong westerlies blowing in the fire hole. Kiln Lane, Milnrow, is a clue. It runs up to the Rakewood area. 

Edited by Jim Riley