Continuous Cruising In London With Full Time Job. Can it be done?

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I remember 'rafting-up' against the harbour wall at Port St. Mary (Isle of Man).

We were 5-deep and we were on the inside - it was an "interesting" experience during a storm thru the night that burst fenders with banging and crashing about, we broke free and all 5 of us were 'floating about' most of us dressed in nothing but underpants trying to get untied and engines started.

It gets like that on the Quayside in Poole in the summer.   

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Perhaps you could remove the words "of today" and it would still be true. In my 20s and early 30s I earned a fair salary as a schoolmaster and I thoroughly enjoyed spending most of it. It was only when I got married, and my wife told me that I wanted to buy a house, that I started saving really seriously

It's nothing new.

Mrs A has the good financial discipline, Or you still be out buying top of the range gold tipped natural Indonesian kooboo rattan school canes :).

But then I was aready married with a daughter and saving to buy a house in my twentys. Most of the people I wnet to school were the same when it came to money. We had a good Headmaster who talked about financial discipline once a week.     

1 hour ago, dogless said:

I understood the disagreement between Aickman and Rolt was over this issue.

Aickman wanted the waterways preserved as a rich mans playground, preserved and prettified.

Rolt wanted them preserved as living waterways, evolving naturally.

As I said previously I don't know the answers, but to just dismiss people living aboard seems grossly unfair.

Rog

This is an interesting point. I often wonder what 'side' in this whole debate working boatmen would have taken and the canal proprietors?

But there really is room for everyone. And if the canals are going to continue to get government money they must be demonstrated to be well used, busy and to have as broad an appeal to as wide a cross section of society as possible! I want to still be cruising them in 30/40 years time!!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But we know they are not going to continue.

Another 'couple of years' and (God help us) C&RT need to become self sufficient.

I'm sure that will change once that nice Mr Boris gets hold of the levers of power. After all he told us we will be £350m per week better off once we have left Brexit. So plenty of money to hose around at the canals system next year, isn't that right?

It was that nasty Mr Cameron (I think) who was gonna starve the canals of free money, and he's gone now thank goodness. 

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

what if I have nothing of use at all to contribute except making decent tea and giving encouraging smiles?

at the age of eight I had no skills to contribute.   .....   so I carried bricks up ladders and pushed half-full barrows of concrete.

unless you are seriously physically disabled you DO have something to contribute.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

All those poles look a right mess. And they haven't even fitted any windows. 

Those cowboys have had you over a treat, I reckon!!

looks like he can't afford a boundary wall either.  that orange plastic stuff won't last. 

36 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

at the age of eight I had no skills to contribute.   .....   so I carried bricks up ladders and pushed half-full barrows of concrete.

unless you are seriously physically disabled you DO have something to contribute.

Are you saying my encouraging smiles don't count as a contribution?  They ARE rather dazzling!

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Are you saying my encouraging smiles don't count as a contribution?  They ARE rather dazzling!

So your blinding them instead, that would a H&S problem, You need to cut down on the tooth whiten.