Continuous Cruising In London With Full Time Job. Can it be done?

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Bovine Droppings, A community of simi derelict rat boats, They are a eyesore who are a drain on local council services. Who demand more and more services, yet refuse to pay a penny. Only in the eyes of the freeloader are they a visitor attraction. But only to visiting rats. 

Obviously you could still take a boat along the canal back then. I was talking mostly about non-boating visitors...which I assume everyone on here understands the importance of to CRTs ability to show it's wider appeal etc.

Have any of you actually visited London recently?

These responses are just undisguised objection to seeing evidence of the existence of people with lower incomes rather than anything to do with boat movement/ccing etc.

Also, it's precisely because the local council don't provide enough services that some are forced onto boats. The council's don't provide the services used by boats (in the majority).

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Obviously you could still take a boat along the canal back then. I was talking mostly about non-boating visitors...which I assume everyone on here understands the importance of to CRTs ability to show it's wider appeal etc.

Have any of you actually visited London recently?

These responses are just undisguised objection to seeing evidence of the existence of people with lower incomes rather than anything to do with boat movement/ccing etc.

Also, it's precisely because the local council don't provide enough services that some are forced onto boats. The council's don't provide the services used by boats (in the majority).

On average in London  once a week,

More Bovine Droppings,  I know many people with flats along the  Regents canal, who like many of the locals see these  simi derelict boats lining the towpath as a eyesore and a major source of pollution from both smoke from the burning of tainted damp wood, House Coal, waste oil and noisy generators running through out the day and evening. NBTA like promote that everyone likes the slumboats on the canal. And from letters in the local papers and the council postbag it's bovine droppings. I was at a function at Kings Place next to the canal by York Way Bridge, you could hear the generators running the otherside of the canal from inside the building.  As for claims that they are not using local councils services, only a few weeks ago the NBTA were ranting about not being able to stay within 2 miles of their children's school. Local waste bins are full of boaters trash, Roads, Buses the Tube are funded by the council tax payer, These towpath squatters use many local services run by the local council. 

The fact is if you cannot afford area, you move to a cheaper area and find a job elsewhere. These towpath squatters which is what there are. Are freeloaders, chancers and spivs living of the backs of others who pay for moorings, insurance, licances and council tax on their moorings. Hiding behind the claim that they are on low incomes is no defence to what they are doing. Boaters who play by the rules have done what I have done, relocated and found a another Job, Yes I do pay for a mooring and council tax as well, I also comute to my office in Cambridge 30 miles away,   

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Hippies belong everywhere. Just thought I'd mention it. 

Saw a boat today with signs pronouncing it was "The hippy boat".

Was surprised that unlike the fudge boat and the cheese boat, they didnt jave any hippies to sell. ?

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

On average in London  once a week,

More Bovine Droppings,  I know many people with flats along the  Regents canal, who like many of the locals see these  simi derelict boats lining the towpath as a eyesore and a major source of pollution from both smoke from the burning of tainted damp wood, House Coal, waste oil and noisy generators running through out the day and evening. NBTA like promote that everyone likes the slumboats on the canal. And from letters in the local papers and the council postbag it's bovine droppings. I was at a function at Kings Place next to the canal by York Way Bridge, you could hear the generators running the otherside of the canal from inside the building.  As for claims that they are not using local councils services, only a few weeks ago the NBTA were ranting about not being able to stay within 2 miles of their children's school. Local waste bins are full of boaters trash, Roads, Buses the Tube are funded by the council tax payer, These towpath squatters use many local services run by the local council. 

The fact is if you cannot afford area, you move to a cheaper area and find a job elsewhere. These towpath squatters which is what there are. Are freeloaders, chancers and spivs living of the backs of others who pay for moorings, insurance, licances and council tax on their moorings. Hiding behind the claim that they are on low incomes is no defence to what they are doing. Boaters who play by the rules have done what I have done, relocated and found a another Job, Yes I do pay for a mooring and council tax as well, I also comute to my office in Cambridge 30 miles away,   

*sigh* I suppose the fact you know people with flats over looking the Regents canal says it all. Just like many owners of canalside properties around the country, they would no doubt like to see the canals empty of boats, shiny or not! The same attitude of the people who buy a house in a village then complain about the smell of cow manure and noise of church bells.

But to try and answer your rant...I fully support smokeless zones etc. And envisage a future with electric charging points along the really central parts. I am as against noisey generators and burning the wrong fuel. But these are all ancillary arguments with solutions.

It is perfectly possible to work and cc in and around London. It does help to be paid well to afford to keep a boat and commute from further out some of the time...and to be doing it for a love of boating!

I suppose we have been seeing different boats when we have been in London. Most look fairly smart to me.

I take it you are against the principle of liveaboards without home moorings regardless of how nice their boat looks and how little they polute?

What should/could the boating scene be like in London if it wasn't predominantly liveaboards?
London will Never have the appeal of the Midlands canals (which I must add I love and have spent most of my boating time in!) with shiny holiday boats in big marinas. There isn't the land for marinas. And most people want rural cruising with lots of routes. (We left the Oxford canal after few years as lack of routes despite rural appeal). So the removal of liveaboards by making cc'ing rules incompatible with living/working on boat will remove most boats from the London canals. Would this really be better? Back to empty canals? Removing these people from boats would removing a large number of younger age demographic from boat ownership when everyone should be encouraging the younger generation to have an interest in canals if they are to survive into the future.

Fortunately, the impression I get from waterways press and CRT is that others are also aware of this important point.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Removing these people from boats would removing a large number of younger age demographic from boat ownership when everyone should be encouraging the younger generation to have an interest in canals if they are to survive into the future.

Do you have evidence that these people are living aboard for 'the love of boats and their interest in canals' rather than the 'love of cheap accommodation in one of the worlds most expensive cities' ?

• Greenie 3

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you have evidence that these people are living aboard for 'the love of boats and their interest in canals' rather than the 'love of cheap accommodation in one of the worlds most expensive cities' ?

I too have the general impression that people who live aboard for 'the love of boats and their interest in canals' tend to be spread all across the UK canal system, not trying to bend the rules and CC in London. There will naturally be exceptions but on the whole, London CCers tend not to have no more than a passing interest in or knowledge of canal history and industrial architecture. Most are there because they like London life, work in the capital and it is a leetle bit trendy and edgy to live on a boat. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too have the general impression that people who live aboard for 'the love of boats and their interest in canals' tend to be spread all across the UK canal system, not trying to bend the rules and CC in London. There will naturally be exceptions but on the whole, London CCers tend not to have no more than a passing interest in or knowledge of canal history and industrial architecture. Most are there because they like London life, work in the capital and it is a leetle bit trendy and edgy to live on a boat. 

Like all good stereotypes, there is a reason for it.  You quite correctly flagged most not all of them as fitting the profile.  @matty40s used to live on a boat in that London as I understand it ...

Well these rats moved to lunun in 1980 homeless and unemployed. Our boats were ratty at times. We got looked down on.

We grew to love canals worked on them ,restored our boats and polished our paint and brass.

Because of the opportunities of lifestyle Dr rat went on to design test equipment that stopped aeroplanes crashing, kept hearts beating and stopped cars and F1 cars from falling apart.

mr rat protected the public and stopped murders and suicide , and became a lecturer and trainer because living on a boat  he was able to afford to retrain.

But gasp sometimes the boats werent shiney the owners were doing 15  hr double shifts , or working overseas, when mr perfect boated by he shook his head...

So how many of those rats in london are on a similar journey? Im quite sure we are anything but unusual, give the poor sods a break, they probably are not enjoying things. 

• Greenie 3

On 15/07/2019 at 21:29, BWM said:

I'm surprised at your take on the conversation in this thread, and suggest that you re read comments from the beginning before arriving at the conclusion that i find any of your behaviour, cruising pattern or otherwise, reprehensible. From my perspective i see no such divide, and efforts to discuss any negative matters surely benefit all with a genuine interest in life afloat. 

I do wonder exactly how long you have been living on the canals, as those who were living aboard 15 years or more ago would remember the look on the faces of most boat owners you met when the subject of your being a liveaboard came up - noses went in the air and conversations often finished. Many marinas were sniffy, it mattered not a jot if you had a mooring or not.

I'm trying to keep it impersonal. I'm a liveaboard CCer who tends more to the side of CMer than marathon cruiser. Part of my point is that PMers and marathon CCers have a general, undirected dislike of "rat boats" and "bridge hoppers" and CCers in general, because "they don't cruise enough". I'm simply holding up my hand, saying "Hey, this is what a CCer looks like. What's your beef?" And people say "oh, not YOU, you cruise enough." so I ask, OK, it's substantially less than what some suggest as real CCing. What in your opinion makes my pattern OK and not others'?

Where I'm getting at is this: you're all hunting the boogeyman. There is so much distaste for CCers but no one is actually willing to spell out exactly why or what they need to do to earn your approval. There are CCers who are in breach of the rules (at least 20 mile range, move to a new "place" at least every 2 weeks) and those people get dealt with by CaRT. Can the rest of us catch a break?

A lot of it seems to come down to the state of the boat they are on. Which, to point out the obvious, has nothing to do with how far they cruise. It's almost like it's not OK to criticise dirty run down boats so we have to criticise CCers in general.

I've only been on the cut for 10 months. So I'm ignorant of the history. But as a CCer I seem to have inherited a lot of ire that I feel is misplaced.

As of now, London is crowded but fine. You can visit and there will be place for you if you aren't overly fussy about the exact spot you moor. You probably won't get broken into or mugged and most people keep their boats in reasonable condition (there are the 10-20% eyesores, of course).

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Well these rats moved to lunun in 1980 homeless and unemployed. Our boats were ratty at times. We got looked down on.

We grew to love canals worked on them ,restored our boats and polished our paint and brass.

Because of the opportunities of lifestyle Dr rat went on to design test equipment that stopped aeroplanes crashing, kept hearts beating and stopped cars and F1 cars from falling apart.

mr rat protected the public and stopped murders and suicide , and became a lecturer and trainer because living on a boat  he was able to afford to retrain.

But gasp sometimes the boats werent shiney the owners were doing 15  hr double shifts , or working overseas, when mr perfect boated by he shook his head...

So how many of those rats in london are on a similar journey? Im quite sure we are anything but unusual, give the poor sods a break, they probably are not enjoying things. 

Well said. Our boat is a long way from perfect. Sure I'd love to have a bright shiny beautifully restored boat. Hopefully I'll get there one day. We do our best, it's not beautiful but we are getting there slowly.

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

message to spongers, hippies and gippos.  

let's face it, you do not belong in the heart of one of the most expensive cities on the planet.

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

So what do you propose to prevent this? Penalise all CCers across the entire network for the actions of a small percentage of boaters in London, a place none of you seem to want to visit anyway?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Part of my point is that PMers and marathon CCers have a general, undirected dislike of "rat boats" and "bridge hoppers" and CCers in general...

Where I'm getting at is this: you're all hunting the boogeyman. There is so much distaste for CCers... 

I've only been on the cut for 10 months... 

I'm afraid the real point us that you're talking bollocks. PMers etc do not have any sort of attitude to CCers, in thirty years of boating I have never heard anyone express such a thing as "distaste". In 10 months you do seem to have built up a hell of a shoulder chip and I suspect this reflects your attitude rather than anyone else's - you seem to have an irrational dislike of anyone whose boating pattern is different from yours. 

Try to get it into your head - 99% of boaters (whether we live on them, cruise on them, hire them or just go on holiday on them) don't give a toss about what anyone else is doing - we just like boats. 

PS you can't call it undirected , either, if it's directed at "rat boats and bridge hoppers". That's directed, rightly or wrongly. 

PPS I also suspect that your attitude reflects the fact that if you are tending to CMing, which in the past you seem to have denied but now say you do, the constant worry of whether you're going to be chucked off the cut is feeding this rather neurotic attitude that everyone hates you. We don't. We really aren't bothered. CRT may be, we aint. 

• Greenie 4
  • Unimpressed 1

35 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Where I'm getting at is this: you're all hunting the boogeyman. There is so much distaste for CCers but no one is actually willing to spell out exactly why or what they need to do to earn your approval.

Like Arthur, I don't see much (or any) negative attitude amongst PMers to CCers. 

Would-be CMers yes perhaps, but not CCers. 

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

So what do you propose to prevent this? Penalise all CCers across the entire network for the actions of a small percentage of boaters in London, a place none of you seem to want to visit anyway?

You will get no sense from @Murflynn on this one Ivan.  He hates CC'ers with a passion, but either does not know or won't admit why.  He won't say how far a distance would work for him, he won't suggest an extra fee that he thinks is reasonable in his eyes to charge CC'ers as opposed to those with a mooring (£100-150 per year would be in line with what CRT get from marinas)

26 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

marathon CCers have a general, undirected dislike of "rat boats" and "bridge hoppers" and CCers in general, because "they don't cruise enough".

I think I may be one of those you have in your mind as marathon CC'ers, because this year we have done hundreds of miles and hundreds of locks, and I have mentioned this before.  It's not our usual cruising pattern, and we have made many notes in our Nicholson guides about places we want to come back and visit at leisure, but we happened to be booked into events around the country that needed getting to.  

I am not hypocritical enough to dislike "rat boats" ... as I probably have one!  Bridge Hoppers and Continuous Moorers, yes, because they cause us friction at CRT towers.  CC'er is an epithet at Milton Keynes, and I don't think it's really me or you or @dmr they have in mind when they mutter it, but it's an attitude that needs adjusting. 

Just accept that no matter what you do, you will get grief from some boaters about what you are doing, and ignore them entirely.  If they won't accept that we are not all the same, there is no point arguing with them.  Shrug and boat ... and be extra nice to them when you meet them on the cut.  Help them when they are struggling with locks, or stuck on a mudbank, and say that's what proper boaters do for each other.

A chap who owns a marina was telling me this afternoon that he thinks there are boaters, and there are those who own boats, and never the twain shall meet!  He has a good point, and it is one I have heard before.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm afraid the real point us that you're talking bollocks. PMers etc do not have any sort of attitude to CCers, in thirty years of boating I have never heard anyone express such a thing as "distaste". In 10 months you do seem to have built up a hell of a shoulder chip and I suspect this reflects your attitude rather than anyone else's - you seem to have an irrational dislike of anyone whose boating pattern is different from yours. 

Try to get it into your head - 99% of boaters (whether we live on them, cruise on them, hire them or just go on holiday on them) don't give a toss about what anyone else is doing - we just like boats. 

PS you can't call it undirected , either, if it's directed at "rat boats and bridge hoppers". That's directed, rightly or wrongly. 

PPS I also suspect that your attitude reflects the fact that if you are tending to CMing, which in the past you seem to have denied but now say you do, the constant worry of whether you're going to be chucked off the cut is feeding this rather neurotic attitude that everyone hates you. We don't. We really aren't bothered. CRT may be, we aint. 

In defence of Ivan, the other 1% are well represented on this thread.

I have to say that from being a regular visitor to London for work and pleasure - including a period of regular meetings at the aforementioned Kings Place - and from first hand accounts from people I know who have, and still do, boat in London there is a lot said above that I would judge to be motivated by feelings that go beyond purely boating issues.

JP

• Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

"you seem to have an irrational dislike of anyone whose boating pattern is different from yours. "

Where do you get that idea? Please quote one statement I have made... just one... that indicates that I dislike any other boater? In return I'll quote you ten from this thread alone of people who have negative things to say about CCers. I have no shoulder chip whatsoever. On the contrary, I'm just trying to understand and alleviate the conflict. I apologise if I have come off that way at all. It's not something I give much thought to, to be honest, but this thread here is specifically about CCing London, so perhaps staying on topic is why it seems that it matters more to me than it does.

I have neither denied nor confirmed that I'm CMing, I have described my cruising pattern - I've ranged about 60 miles this year, and on average I'd say I move two out of three weekends. I'm happy to wear the CM badge if you think it applies, I'm more just trying to understand. I'm not worried about being chucked off the cut, I'm within CaRT's rules (for now...).

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Like Arthur, I don't see much (or any) negative attitude amongst PMers to CCers. 

Would-be CMers yes perhaps, but not CCers.

Alright, I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You will get no sense from @Murflynn on this one Ivan.  He hates CC'ers with a passion, but either does not know or won't admit why.

Oh wait... maybe not? I'm confused...

I don't think it's really me or you or @dmr they have in mind when they mutter it, but it's an attitude that needs adjusting. 

I'm in agreement... just trying to understand the attitude, and give my point of view and perhaps some food for thought to help those with that attitude see it from another perspective.

Just accept that no matter what you do, you will get grief from some boaters about what you are doing, and ignore them entirely.  If they won't accept that we are not all the same, there is no point arguing with them.  Shrug and boat ... and be extra nice to them when you meet them on the cut.  Help them when they are struggling with locks, or stuck on a mudbank, and say that's what proper boaters do for each other.

I think this is the sagest advice so far on this thread.

Anyways, thanks for the discussion, I'm bowing out now, it has been interesting!

Edited by ivan&alice
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm afraid the real point us that you're talking bollocks. PMers etc do not have any sort of attitude to CCers, in thirty years of boating I have never heard anyone express such a thing as "distaste".

I strongly disagree Arthur.  Try telling random boaters that you meet that you are a liveaboard CC'er, and see what comments you get.  Nearly all of the pushback comes from those of a certain age, and most of them are flying both IWA and AWCC pennants.

As a member of both organisations, I get very cross about this.  I also get very cross about people who get a CC licence* and then abuse it, as it reflects badly on those of us who use the CC licence in the way it was meant to be used when the committee overrode BW's arguments in the 1995 act.

The dislike appears on the cut, not just on the internet, and we have seen it in person.  Low percentages, sure, but it IS out there.  We would probably see more of it if the grumpies boated more!

I do often wonder if it is at least partially fuelled by jealousy of the lifestyle ...

* Yes, I am fully aware there is no such thing as a CC Licence, but it's easy shorthand!

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

*sigh* I suppose the fact you know people with flats over looking the Regents canal says it all. Just like many owners of canalside properties around the country, they would no doubt like to see the canals empty of boats, shiny or not! The same attitude of the people who buy a house in a village then complain about the smell of cow manure and noise of church bells.

But to try and answer your rant...I fully support smokeless zones etc. And envisage a future with electric charging points along the really central parts. I am as against noisey generators and burning the wrong fuel. But these are all ancillary arguments with solutions.

It is perfectly possible to work and cc in and around London. It does help to be paid well to afford to keep a boat and commute from further out some of the time...and to be doing it for a love of boating!

I suppose we have been seeing different boats when we have been in London. Most look fairly smart to me.

I take it you are against the principle of liveaboards without home moorings regardless of how nice their boat looks and how little they polute?

What should/could the boating scene be like in London if it wasn't predominantly liveaboards?
London will Never have the appeal of the Midlands canals (which I must add I love and have spent most of my boating time in!) with shiny holiday boats in big marinas. There isn't the land for marinas. And most people want rural cruising with lots of routes. (We left the Oxford canal after few years as lack of routes despite rural appeal). So the removal of liveaboards by making cc'ing rules incompatible with living/working on boat will remove most boats from the London canals. Would this really be better? Back to empty canals? Removing these people from boats would removing a large number of younger age demographic from boat ownership when everyone should be encouraging the younger generation to have an interest in canals if they are to survive into the future.

Unlike yourself I'm not ranting I leave that to you. You clearly believe in the rights of the free-loading squatter boater. As true to form your talking bovine droppings again. People who own properties next to waterways don't hate boats or do they want them banned. What they don't like is water-borne traveller sites setting up outside their homes. With their heavily polluting ways. Many of the people that I know have lived in the same houses and flats (Some of which have in the family for years) for 20 or 30 years, They have no rights to be able open a window without being smoked out or deafen by the squatters generators. Home owners don't mind boats mooring up for the night or passing through. It's the ones that don't move unless it is to the water point and back, like most of the squatter boats on the Regents Canal (Which has the highest number of section 8's per mile of any C&RT waterway.)

Who going to pay for these charging points, not your NBTA squatter pals. It will be the local council tax payer through the Mayors Levy. These charge points would soon be tamped with to give free power by-passing the meter. These squatters will not change, they will carry on burning tainted damp wood (Free), House coal (cheap) and what ever else they can burn, but paying for smokeless coal will be the last thing they will do. Furthermore these charge points will not be able to supply enough power to heat a boat by electric. Or do you having any idea of the cost, even just running a basic 3kw electric fire will over the winter months run up a bill of over £500 over three months as one water-bug owner found out, Two years ago.

As for me being ant-live-aboard without a mooring, Like most people what I'm against is the live-aboard without a mooring who is not navigating round the system as the CC Licence was intended. But who instead squats in the same place only moving to the water point and back or moving backwards and forwards between the same two points once a fortnight.

C&RT have clearly stated that a CC Licence is not compatible with holding down a job or for access for schooling.

These squatters boaters are only interested in living in London as cheap as possible and not boating as such. To them it is just means to a end and more money for nightclubbing.

As for your claim that if it was not for your squatter pals there would be no boats along the Regents canal. There are many private moorings belonging to boats clubs in the basins along the Regents canal who have been there far longer then theses squatters.

When I was working in London the boat was moored at Langley boat yard and travelled in by train from the local station. I had no need to squat in the middle of London like your pals in the NBTA who motto is 'Moor where we like, As long as we like, And we not paying any mooring charges'

The rules are quite simple that even a supporter of the NBTA should be able to understand. If want to stay in the same area, get a mooring and pay your council tax. We don't want the canals turned in to one large water-borne traveller site. What C&RT should do is start charging for mooring in London for these who overstay on the tow-path in one spot for longer than two weeks and don't move less than 20 miles each time in one direction with no return to the same area within two months.

As for encouraging younger generation you do so from a early age by taking them out on the water for trips and holidays. You don't promote it as a cheap place to live, Which is all the squatters along the Regent canal think it is, But then if your not paying for mooring or council tax for staying in the same council area. It does seem cheap more so when they don't have a licence either. Take that floating caravan that C&RT removed under a section 8 order, two months back it changed its name and index number three times in two years to try and stop it being removed. This is not the only case that C&RT is dealing with multable changes of names and index numbers.

2 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Well said. Our boat is a long way from perfect. Sure I'd love to have a bright shiny beautifully restored boat. Hopefully I'll get there one day. We do our best, it's not beautiful but we are getting there slowly.

As for insuring that people are truly navigating a round the system as the CC licence was intend. No need for GPS just a number of check points around the system where the boat is recorded passing through.

• Greenie 2

Maybe it's just London. Too many people all squashed together, bound to cause conflict. At least it keeps all these apparently unpleasant types away from the rest of us. Even when I lived on board, I only experienced people wishing they could, too. And all being aware of how those who cruised all year helped to keep the system open. 

Like a sensible person, as soon as I could I moved north where there's space and Yorkshire. And room for tolerance, even of hippies... 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 2

I've read Mr. Sprite's last few posts with interest. One point I would pick him up on: do you really think that people living in inner London are unaccustomed to the constant sound of diesel and petrol engines? It's just that they more often emanate from the road at the front and not the canal behind - but it's the same noise. So to brand the city's boaters as the sole source of "noise pollution" is grossly unfair.

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You will get no sense from @Murflynn on this one Ivan.  He hates CC'ers with a passion, but either does not know or won't admit why.  He won't say how far a distance would work for him, he won't suggest an extra fee that he thinks is reasonable in his eyes to charge CC'ers as opposed to those with a mooring (£100-150 per year would be in line with what CRT get from marinas)

No I don't hate CCers - but I do hate being misquoted.   I do hate CMers.

...............  and I have never been asked about the supplementary points that you draw attention to.

..............................  perhaps you should review the posts in this and other threads and identify where I have suggested otherwise.

SHAME ON YOU.   :angry:

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've read Mr. Sprite's last few posts with interest. One point I would pick him up on: do you really think that people living in inner London are unaccustomed to the constant sound of diesel and petrol engines? It's just that they more often emanate from the road at the front and not the canal behind - but it's the same noise. So to brand the city's boaters as the sole source of "noise pollution" is grossly unfair.

C'mon Athy - even ignoring the smoke and smells, do you really think that a boat sat with its engine running sounds anything like a car going past your house.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C'mon Athy - even ignoring the smoke and smells, do you really think that a boat sat with its engine running sounds anything like a car going past your house.

No, it sounds like a car, or more likely a lorry or 'bus, sitting in a traffic jam outside a house - a not uncommon scene in London. Oh, road traffic also produces fumes and smells.

Edited by Athy