Thames from Brentford to Oxford

Featured Posts

In the next few weeks I'll be turning onto the Thames at Brentford and heading to Oxford. I'm seriously considering spending a week or so on the Basingstoke canal and also want to take my time on the Thames section from Reading.

I've been looking for the license cost, but have drawn a blank there.

Advice please, is it worth buying a 1 month license for the trip, or go for a 1 day license for the day trip from Brentford to the canal junction, then buy weekly license (s) for the trip from Byfleet to Oxford? Also, how much does the license cost and can they be purchased on the day?

Thanks folks.

Afore ye start - have you looked at the state of the Basingstoke? 

I'm under the impression that it's closed in places - because of lock failures and it may be suffering for water problems.

I'm sure somebody will put me right.

A day's ticket will see you up the River  to the Wey easily 

Steve at Shepperton will happily sell you a week's license  for the rest of the River, but you might be slightly pushed to do the trip leisurely on a week's ticket - after all you're going uphill.

When are you planning to do the trip?

Short term licences here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-charges/river-thames-boat-registration-charges-1-january-2019-to-31-december-2019#visiting-launches

The trick is calculating your boat's chargeable area - I think experienced lockies have a rule-of-thumb  for NBs

Edited by OldGoat
addenda

Basingstoke was fine a couple of weeks ago. If your boat has more than 5 foot 10 of air draft you won't get past Ash. Well worth getting to the end. 5 foot 9" air draft the canal was 2" down and water filled to brim.

Transit still exists.

Don't forget the Wey either.

Edited by mark99

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I'm under the impression that it's closed in places - because of lock failures and it may be suffering for water problems.

Steve at Shepperton will happily sell you a week's license  for the rest of the River, but you might be slightly pushed to do the trip leisurely on a week's ticket - after all you're going uphill.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-charges/river-thames-boat-registration-charges-1-january-2019-to-31-december-2019#visiting-launches

The trick is calculating your boat's chargeable area - I think experienced lockies have a rule-of-thumb  for NBs

Thanks for this.

I've contacted the Basingstoke canal society, although on their web site, the canal does appear to be all okay at the moment.

I'm thinking of getting to Brentford around 14th July, so would look to spend the next week on the Basingstoke.

Kevin

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Basingstoke Canal is open now and worth the effort. I would say that as I live in Mytchett

Basingstoke....take a tip from me.... take 9 days to do it return journey as it costs the same as a week. That way you can enjoy the upper part where there are some good moorings. The first two days are quite frenetic as you do 4 flights of locks. Also if you go up the locks with two long botes say 62 foot you will struggle to get in and out of locks as the gates on some don't open fully.

Thirdly some of the lock gates have large bolts sticking proud which can wreck your blacking and gouge the steel. Badly made gates... could easily be countersunk.

Edited by mark99

Apologies for my incorrect information.

A further point - and I may be corrected -

but don't you have to book a passage up the first flight

and isn't there a transit arrangement between National Trust and the Basingstoke canal ?

Perhaps a bit more research is needed (on both sides)

Just in case the OP and others  are interested (nobody was when I last posted) -

10th - 14th July is the Henley music festival (expensive to attend) BUT you can moor to the remains of the regatta booms and watch the fireworks for free..

19th - 21st July is the Thames Traditional Boat Rally where there are lots of real boats (including Dunkirk veteran boats) - well worth a visit, but you'll be charged to moor 

OTOH if you're not the slightest bit interested and the thought of mingling with lots of "white plastic" , then avoid Henley  from 3rd - 21st July....