Llangollen Canal restricted opening

dor

Featured Posts

Update on 20/06/2019:

As of Monday 24 June, we are able to provide restricted passage through the ongoing repairs between Bridge 21, Wrenbury Frith Bridge to Marbury Lock, Llangollen Canal.

The times of passage will be 8.30-9.30am and 4-5pm daily, until works are completed onsite.

I am so glad that kelpie got caught on a weir on our way up the Llangollen and that it took a lot of people about an hour to get her free. if we hadn't

had that delay we would have been past the location of the stoppage before the canal was closed and we would still be up there!  As we  never saw the boat which had been ahead of us from Hurleston again we assume they got past. 

haggis

2 hours ago, haggis said:

I am so glad that kelpie got caught on a weir on our way up the Llangollen and that it took a lot of people about an hour to get her free.

Erm, you did what exactly?!  :help: Have I missed an interesting thread?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Erm, you did what exactly?!  :help: Have I missed an interesting thread?

Well, not sure it was interesting ? 

At a flight of locks, I went ahead to walk the dogs and set the next one while Iain closed up. We both noticed that the weir above the lock was pretty lively but didn't think it would cause a problem. How wrong can you be ? When Iain didn't appear at the next lock, I walked back to find kelpie stuck on top of the weir and Iain and a guy from the following boat pulling on ropes. When Iain had got off to close the top gate, Kelpie was pulled sideways onto the weir and as the lock gate was now closed, she couldn't be pulled backwards. My feeble pulling didn't help much so I walked back to the next lock and made it ready in case another boat came down and could pull us off. off course, one didn't. As more boats arrived below the lock the number of people pulling on ropes and coming up with good ideas increased and we eventually got kelpie moving but as she was pulled back towards the lock (we had the gate open now) she caught on the lock mouth but more rope hauling saw us free. 

The incident showed us, if indeed we needed to be showed, just how supportive of one another boaters are and we were very grateful for all the help we had. 

haggis

38 minutes ago, haggis said:

Well, not sure it was interesting ? 

At a flight of locks, I went ahead to walk the dogs and set the next one while Iain closed up. We both noticed that the weir above the lock was pretty lively but didn't think it would cause a problem. How wrong can you be ? When Iain didn't appear at the next lock, I walked back to find kelpie stuck on top of the weir and Iain and a guy from the following boat pulling on ropes. When Iain had got off to close the top gate, Kelpie was pulled sideways onto the weir and as the lock gate was now closed, she couldn't be pulled backwards. My feeble pulling didn't help much so I walked back to the next lock and made it ready in case another boat came down and could pull us off. off course, one didn't. As more boats arrived below the lock the number of people pulling on ropes and coming up with good ideas increased and we eventually got kelpie moving but as she was pulled back towards the lock (we had the gate open now) she caught on the lock mouth but more rope hauling saw us free. 

The incident showed us, if indeed we needed to be showed, just how supportive of one another boaters are and we were very grateful for all the help we had. 

haggis

Crikey! Thanks for the cautionary tale - glad it all came right in the end Haggis. :)

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Crikey! Thanks for the cautionary tale - glad it all came right in the end Haggis. :)

The "problem" was that the weir was quite close to the top gate and when kelpie was out of the lock most of her was parallel to the weir. At no time was she in danger as she was longer than the weir and wouldn't be pulled over but she took some shifting! With all those folk pulling on ropes it was amazing that only one ended up on their backsides ? as the ground was wet and slippery.  I have never seen a canal weir running as strong as they were on the Llangollen and the flow down the canal meant that some boats were struggling against it. 

We flew back down the next day despite CRT running a lot of water off to protect the banking  where the canal bank had been overtopped.  

haggis

44 minutes ago, haggis said:

The "problem" was that the weir was quite close to the top gate and when kelpie was out of the lock most of her was parallel to the weir. At no time was she in danger as she was longer than the weir and wouldn't be pulled over but she took some shifting! With all those folk pulling on ropes it was amazing that only one ended up on their backsides ? as the ground was wet and slippery.  I have never seen a canal weir running as strong as they were on the Llangollen and the flow down the canal meant that some boats were struggling against it. 

We flew back down the next day despite CRT running a lot of water off to protect the banking  where the canal bank had been overtopped.  

haggis

If the weir was close to the top gates you could have tried reverse flushing by letting some water out if the lock, opening the top paddles and then quickly dropping them to cause a wave to go back up the pound. We had to use this technique when the motor got caught on the rail by a top lock whilst bringing the butty up the lock.

36 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure I saw Kelpie pass by in Middlewitch on Monday or Tuesday?

I wondered where I’d heard that name. Now I know. 

(I am slow witted)

We went through Middlewich on our way to the Llangollen on a Tuesday then we came back though on the Friday. 

haggis

On 20/06/2019 at 21:21, Rob-M said:

If the weir was close to the top gates you could have tried reverse flushing by letting some water out if the lock, opening the top paddles and then quickly dropping them to cause a wave to go back up the pound. We had to use this technique when the motor got caught on the rail by a top lock whilst bringing the butty up the lock.

This is what I should have tried when it happened to me, problem is I only thought of it once I was free