Sunblest narrowboat?

Featured Posts

I am curious to know if the narrow boat Sunblest is still floating around these days?.

The Sunblest from memory was (or is?) possibly a 60ft hire narrow boat with a nearly traditional 'back end' and was hired from a boat yard on the north Oxford canal at Fenny Compton for a two weeks holiday back in the early summer of 1985. The Sunblest was a nice boat and handled well and with it's nearly traditional back end felt authentic to handle.

Edited by Flower of Gloster

There are boring people in here that will correct you by stating that Fenny Compton is not on the North Oxfordbut the South Oxford north of Oxford. 

Not seen the Sunblest, sorry. A boat for loafing? Is the name of your present boat an ingredient of Sunblest? 

Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

There are boring people in here that will correct you by stating that Fenny Compton is not on the North Oxfordbut the South Oxford north of Oxford. 

Not seen the Sunblest, sorry. A boat for loafing? Is the name of your present boat an ingredient of Sunblest? 

Hope this helps.

Yes thank you for your observation you are correct Fenny Compton IS on the south Oxford canal and NOT the north Oxford canal my mistake.

We took the Sunblest from Fenny Compton then up to Braunston then I recall going down the GU to is it Gayton Junction(?) and then down and up the Northampton branch and flight in one afternoon and then I recall going back along the GU to Norton Junction(?) and across to Foxton where we stopped at the Foxton top lock and then we returned back across to Norton Junction and back on the GU to Brauston then after a night or two at Braunston a little way along the north Oxford but that didn't look to promising then finally after 2 weeks we headed back to Fenny Compton that was back in 1985. 

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can we have less of the half-baked jokes please, sandwiched between the serious posts?

Many thanks...

No. I guess the boat in question was the best thing since sliced bread...

6 minutes ago, Flower of Gloster said:

These days I'm bit of a breadhead with plenty of bread in the bank so if the Sunblest is still floating around I've got the dough to buy her so I'll drink a toast in anticipation before this topic goes stale?.

Ooh, you were quite Nimble with the bread-related stuff there, Flower!

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

I am curious to know if the narrow boat Sunblest is still floating around these days?.

The Sunblest from memory was (or is?) possibly a 60ft hire narrow boat with a nearly traditional 'back end' and was hired from a boat yard on the north Oxford canal at Fenny Compton for a two weeks holiday back in the early summer of 1985. The Sunblest was a nice boat and handled well and with it's nearly traditional back end felt authentic to handle.

The British Waterways Board index number for SUNBLEST was 62223, and my records indicate it still had a Hire and Reward licence at the end of 1985. This index number appears to have fallen out of use some time between 1985 and 2005, but what happened to SUNBLEST and whether it was renamed and a new index number issued I can not answer :captain:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

The British Waterways Board index number for SUNBLEST was 62223, and my records indicate it still had a Hire and Reward licence at the end of 1985. This index number appears to have fallen out of use some time between 1985 and 2005, but what happened to SUNBLEST and whether it was renamed and a new index number issued I can not answer :captain:

Thank you Mr Harrison, a bit of 'back on topic' sensible information. 

So was SUNBLEST named because of a connection with the SUNBLEST brand of bread? Or was the bread named after the boat, does anyone know?

SINBLEST as a brand of bread still appears to be sold by Allied Bakeries, but does anyone know when SUNBLEST bread was first launched as a brand?