Cassette

LadyG

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know what a soakaway is, and it is not designed to be "pumped out", just the opposite...................

I used to inspect soakaways .... in England..........

And I have lived with on for about 65 of my 71 years, I did live in town for a few years and when they stop soaking away then they need pumping out. A majority today are well overloaded with people having more showers and baths plus running a washing machine more often. The one we have at the moment is probably 50 years old, maybe more. We have only lived here for 40 years.

On 25/06/2019 at 09:34, tree monkey said:

Dad worked at a slaughterhouse, it closed down a long time ago, and posh houses were built on the site, I know where the err fluid waste used to go ;)

Bet they have fantastic roses

The garden of my cottage in  Devon was, for years, the stable for a neighbours pony. Things grew well for many years.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was England not Scotland and we call the soakaways 

Regardless of what side of the border you're on the terminology doesn't change, a sump and a soakaway are two different things. 

11 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Regardless of what side of the border you're on the terminology doesn't change, a sump and a soakaway are two different things. 

I think Ditchcrawler was being polite and making an excuse for lady G telling him he was mistaken about what he has in his garden. He not only has lived there for many years, he is a clever and observant guy so my money is on him knowing what he has. 

I am amazed at how many different jobs Lady G has had and now another one of inspecting soakaways has popped up. She must be a lot older than i thought  ? I bet her CV is really interesting. 

haggis

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

A sump is a captive 'tank' that requires emptying out periodically (when full)

A soakaway is literally that - the bottom half tends to be 'solid' and the top half of the walls are porous allowing the liquids to percolate thru and soakaway into the surrounding ground.

Modern sewage systems tend to have the 'soakway' running (piped) into either a ditch or a reedbed where the water can percolate thru the ground with the reed-bed actually futher cleaning &  filtering the water.

We decided to go with the 'ditch' alternative and obtianed a discharge licence from the EA.

Image result for septic tank reed bed
Related image

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am amazed at how many different jobs Lady G has had and now another one of inspecting soakaways has popped up. She must be a lot older than i thought  ? I bet her CV is really interesting. 

Allegedly she helped Noah take his ark down the Caledonian canal.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I know this - I was under the impression that ditchcrawler thought they were called something different in Scotland. :)

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think Ditchcrawler was being polite and making an excuse for lady G telling him he was mistaken about what he has in his garden. He not only has lived there for many years, he is a clever and observant guy so my money is on him knowing what he has. 

haggis

Me being a social klutz again. :blush:

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A soakaway is literally that - the bottom half tends to be 'solid' and the top half of the walls are porous allowing the liquids to percolate thru and soakaway into the surrounding ground.

Modern sewage systems tend to have the 'soakway' running (piped) into either a ditch or a reedbed where the water can percolate thru the ground with the reed-bed actually futher cleaning &  filtering the water.

We decided to go with the 'ditch' alternative and obtianed a discharge licence from the EA.

Image result for septic tank reed bed
Related image

Allegedly she helped Noah take his ark down the Caledonian canal.

I cant ever remember reed beds being mentioned when I was a kid

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

It seems to be a pretty recent 'invention' - using nature to clean our effluent.

It was something we looked at when we built in 2005 but it needed quite a large area of 'soakaway / reed beds', so just went for the ditch-discharge method.

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Noah and I spent many hours worrying about the construction of black water tanks for forty days and nights, In the end, we opted for traditional thunderboxes. ? 

5 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I know this - I was under the impression that ditchcrawler thought they were called something different in Scotland. :)

Me being a social klutz again. :blush:

I was just using the terms sump, and soakaway in  a generic sense. No doubt some systems are designed to produce a clean discharge, but these are more sophisticated.

In my days with the Min of Ag in England [1967-75], people without mains sewerage had the option of a septic tank, which would be emptied regularly, they must still exist. No scope for reed beds............................

Back on topic: the trolley arrived from Robert Dyas, wish me luck :)

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Noah and I spent many hours worrying about the construction of black water tanks for forty days and nights, In the end, we opted for traditional thunderboxes. ? 

I was just using the terms sump, and soakaway in  a generic sense. No doubt some systems are designed to produce a clean discharge, but these are more sophisticated.

In my days with the Min of Ag in England [1967-75], people without mains sewerage had the option of a septic tank, which would be emptied regularly, they must still exist. No scope for reed beds............................

Back on topic: the trolley arrived from Robert Dyas, wish me luck :)

What about all the weep pipes that ran under the gardens to soak away the liquids.

The Robert Dyas trolley worked great, it tows behind the bike.

I need a source of masks, the one I use for sanding is not up to the job. Also will add more Blue, and turn on the immersion heater before I set off for the Elsan, solar seems to be a fail, adds to list of "why does this not work?" 

On 26/06/2019 at 21:28, Iain_S said:

Most septic tanks discharge into a soakaway. Not much point overflowing into a sump. The aim is not containment, but to allow the discharge to be aereated before slow release into the environment, by which time it's pretty harmless.

Thats what we had in Scotland, it was a huge tank designed for three houses with 10 occupants per house! Sue and I bought all three cottages and made one large property out of them lovely place. Duffy used to pump out the solids because otherwise they would go solid!! if left for the ten years plus needed to fill the tank up

On 26/06/2019 at 22:27, LadyG said:

I know what a soakaway is, and it is not designed to be "pumped out", just the opposite...................

I used to inspect soakaways .... in England..........

So you were the Long Arm of the law? 

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Because I was board

Well, "wood" you believe it?  I watched it because I was bored, never realised septic tanks were so interesting.

On 29/06/2019 at 11:52, NB Esk said:

Well, "wood" you believe it?  I watched it because I was bored, never realised septic tanks were so interesting.

Yes, I kinda feel sorry for those poor worm, what a sad life. Mr Septic tank seems a genuine guy, I'm wondering if these are the same as these special worms: 

Had a fairly uneventful visit to the Elsan ................ correct amount of blue this time, usual Marigolds [one trip], safety goggles and mask plus lots of kitchen roll impregnated with lavender oil. I had I switched immersion heater on so I could have a nice shower! Sorted..

LadyG is like a dirty Elsan point, best ignored. If you encourage her she will go on and on and on and on and..............................................................

Others on here have her permanently on ignore this member list, its the best way.

It really is not that bad emptying a cassette/potty/pump out in a C&RT Elsan point. thousands manage it easily every week without all the daft gear or being a drama queen.

Buzz Aldrin returning to the space ship after having emptied the ships Porta-Pottie in the sea of Tranquility, for all mankind.   Another full up abandoned for all mankind cassette can be seen on his righthand side.

Note the protective clobber he wore in case of splashes.

as16-114-18388 Buzz.jpg

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1