Cassette

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

WHAT !!!

I realise you are a Scot, but a plastic 3gallon bucket and a bag of shavings could not be considered expensive when compared to the rest of the boating expenses.

I take you haven't priced up the Separett range recently.  Or the Airheads.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

WHAT !!!

I realise you are a Scot, but a plastic 3gallon bucket and a bag of shavings could not be considered expensive when compared to the rest of the boating expenses.

Well, yes.... if you're a tightwad and don't mind sitting on a sharp edged bucket - think "Oor Wullie" but with no breeks. ?

Putting it bluntly, it is suspected that some (but not all) longer term 'composting bog' users end up getting impatient and pour the wee straight into the cut and put the poo in the rubbish skips after 'not long enough'. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Putting it bluntly, it is suspected that some (but not all) longer term 'composting bog' users end up getting impatient and pour the wee straight into the cut and put the poo in the rubbish skips after 'not long enough'. 

"Composting", ie production  of a safe and suitable compost material requires ideal conditions,  and will not occur in a small box on a boat, it's just not going to happen. 

Kitty litter works, for kitties  for a short time as the poo dessicates, but then the pee soaks into the substrate a starts to pong.

Even if the poo is separate from the pee, it is not "compost" as there is no heat treatment, therefore the E. Coli bugs are still able to do their worst.

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Because composting toilets are quite expensive, if I was selling "my boat" then I would keep my composting toilet and buy a brand new never been used elsan to leave on the boat for the new owners. 

Every body loves a good toilet debate, they get started regularly. So you've added a fresh angle which is good. 

Nope. Not as pricey as fitting a macerating bog with tank and fittings, they are moocho more, mine was about 2k. You know what the reason is dont you :D

58 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nope. Not as pricey as fitting a macerating bog with tank and fittings, they are moocho more, mine was about 2k. You know what the reason is dont you :D

Would you take a macerating toilet out of the boat that you're selling and put it in the new boat you're buying, therefore facilitating the need to replace the toiled on the original boat with a cassette ??? :huh:

Just now, Tumshie said:

Would you take a macerating toilet out of the boat that you're selling and put it in the new boat you're buying, therefore facilitating the need to replace the toiled on the original boat with a cassette ??? :huh:

There are very good reasons for people using cassette or pump out bogs and not plastic bags full of poo left around for months to ferment innitt. Composting bogs have been around for decades, I remember people extoling their virtues to me thirty years ago. If they made sense on a boat then the numbers would be a third cassette, a third pumpout and a third composting innitt. They are rare as rocking horse droppings for a good reason :)

Just now, Tumshie said:

Cos blokes don't want to sit down when they pee? :ninja:

:giggles:

You may be right but I doubt it? Its a good one though. I have sat down to wee for about 20 or so years now, I found out a year or two ago my bezzy mate also does. Blasting porcelein and splashing urine all over the place is indeed unnecessary and gross. I do however stand up and use public urinals that are designed for such use.

Just now, Tumshie said:

Cos blokes don't want to sit down when they pee? :ninja:

:giggles:

Quite a common occurance on boats ? . The bowl on cassette loos and pump out loos is no where as deep as the bowl in a domestic loo and there is therefore more risk of splashes. For this reason I believe that many men sit down to pee on boats ? .I must admit though that I have not conducted an in depth survey on the subject!  

haggis

On 21/06/2019 at 00:16, Mike the Boilerman said:

And people buying this cheap stuff from China Aldi, ebay etc is a significant contributor to global warming, to cross-reference the other thread.

I haven't seen the other thread but note blue diamond toilet chemical sold at Aldi appears to be made in Yorkshire.

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

Quite a common occurance on boats ? . The bowl on cassette loos and pump out loos is no where as deep as the bowl in a domestic loo and there is therefore more risk of splashes. For this reason I believe that many men sit down to pee on boats ? .I must admit though that I have not conducted an in depth survey on the subject!  

haggis

Oh well there you go, you learn something new everyday...... Yeah I don't think we need a survey. :huh:

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I haven't seen the other thread but note blue diamond toilet chemical sold at Aldi appears to be made in Yorkshire.

The toilet chemicals I use are also a product of the UK.

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Look on every boat brokerage and see how many boats are pump out and how many are cassette and how many are composting. Probably fifty fifty on pumpout and cassette, then count how many are composting and ask yourself why??

Go back 20 years and how many were reverse layout. Go back ten years and how many were bread beam, go back 30 years and how many had inverters and 230 volts, go back 100 years and how many were diesel. When did you last see a recycling blue loo that were all the rage on hire boats 30 years ago The world changes. 

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Go back 20 years and how many were reverse layout. Go back ten years and how many were bread beam, go back 30 years and how many had inverters and 230 volts, go back 100 years and how many were diesel. When did you last see a recycling blue loo that were all the rage on hire boats 30 years ago The world changes. 

Not quite the same old sport. Thirty years ago we didnt have inverters for leisure boats and a 100 years ago the diesel engine was not so well developed. Blue recirc bogs have been superseded by modern cassette and pumpout types. The composting bog has been around for all of this time but still has made very little inroad into the boating market inland UK as they are not suited for the job for the majority of people.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Not quite the same old sport. Thirty years ago we didnt have inverters for leisure boats and a 100 years ago the diesel engine was not so well developed. Blue recirc bogs have been superseded by modern cassette and pumpout types. The composting bog has been around for all of this time but still has made very little inroad into the boating market inland UK as they are not suited for the job for the majority of people.

But they may be if enough boaters go down that route, CRT install compost units instead of elsan disposal and pumpout points. Who knows. 

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

"Composting", ie production  of a safe and suitable compost material requires ideal conditions,  and will not occur in a small box on a boat, it's just not going to happen. 

Kitty litter works, for kitties  for a short time as the poo dessicates, but then the pee soaks into the substrate a starts to pong.

Even if the poo is separate from the pee, it is not "compost" as there is no heat treatment, therefore the E. Coli bugs are still able to do their worst.

Their you go, I have been doing it for years with no problems but clearly as always you know better, I could post a picture of this years spuds growing very large fed from my composting bin, but then again I cant be arsed!!

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You may be right but I doubt it? Its a good one though. I have sat down to wee for about 20 or so years now, I found out a year or two ago my bezzy mate also does. Blasting porcelein and splashing urine all over the place is indeed unnecessary and gross. I do however stand up and use public urinals that are designed for such use.

3 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

Same here sit down wees are the order of the day unless out and about

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Their you go, I have been doing it for years with no problems but clearly as always you know better, I could post a picture of this years spuds growing very large fed from my composting bin, but then again I cant be arsed!!

Same here sit down wees are the order of the day unless out and about

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you have land based composting?

I also have my doubts about composting bogs on boats, unless there are land based facilities to do the final ferment, boxes of dried poo are not compost, it's dried poo.

I know some claim it's possible and I am happy to believe them but it must take a lot of time and effort to achieve real compost on a boat

38 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I also have my doubts about composting bogs on boats, unless there are land based facilities to do the final ferment, boxes of dried poo are not compost, it's dried poo.

I know some claim it's possible and I am happy to believe them but it must take a lot of time and effort to achieve real compost on a boat

This is the core of it really. Composting toilets are fantastic and I hope there will come a time when they are used more but an elsan toilet would be completely impractical on a boat if there weren't elsan emptying point up and down and all over the canal network and untill there is a proper system in place to deal with the compost it's always going to be an issue for most people. There just needs to be an enterprising person who comes up with that business plan, but I fear it's a bit chicken and egg at the moment. 

I can think of a few ways to do it but I can't think how to make them pay for them selves never mind be a business model. 

Edited by Tumshie

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I do but even if I was away for the summer it wouldnt be an issue, I have 3 of the big tubs and space to keep them in the stern, I do add all the veg matter to my composting bin, so I suppose I would add it to the loo. When I got back to my location Tip the contents into the composting bin and away it goes, it will have started the process on the trip and finish in the bin

Disgusting.

Sorry, its just not an acceptable way of living in the 21st century.

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

I do but even if I was away for the summer it wouldnt be an issue, I have 3 of the big tubs and space to keep them in the stern, I do add all the veg matter to my composting bin, so I suppose I would add it to the loo. When I got back to my location Tip the contents into the composting bin and away it goes, it will have started the process on the trip and finish in the bin

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, hider said:

Disgusting.

Sorry, its just not an acceptable way of living in the 21st century.

Nonsense,  a properly set up composting toilet with a use for the end product is a perfectly sensible way of dealing with human waste.

It's where the process hasn't been thought through where the problems occur 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Nonsense,  a properly set up composting toilet with a use for the end product is a perfectly sensible way of dealing with human waste.

It's where the process hasn't been thought through where the problems occur 

But still disgusting no matter how you claim it is "green" ,  "clean",   or sensible. If you want to live with your own faeces, you are most welcome. Just don't waste your time trying to justify it to me, its always going to be disgusting.