Cassette

LadyG

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah now, there is a problem here you may not be aware of yet. 

Pumpout connoisseurs I've watched pumping out seem to like to rock the boat furiously from side to side whilst using a length of 10mm copper tube on the end of a main pressure hose pipe to lift and rinse out all the, um, solids that settle and stick on the floor of the tank.

I suspect like batteries, the capacity of your pump out tank is slowly reducing if you are not fully emptying it like this.

Or it is the other way around....? 

We just tip lithium in ours.......or is that blue stuff from Aldi? Cant remember.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pumpout connoisseurs I've watched pumping out seem to like to rock the boat furiously from side to side whilst using a length of 10mm copper tube on the end of a main pressure hose pipe to lift and rinse out all the, um, solids that settle and stick on the floor of the tank.

I suspect like batteries, the capacity of your pump out tank is slowly reducing if you are not fully emptying it like this.

Yep, this. Ours was reaching the point it would only last 2 weeks. I assumed a pipe had rotted & therefore wasn't emptying it. So we decided to replace it with a cassette. It turns out the pumpout was half full of dried up toilet paper... 

Edited by Ssscrudddy

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

....and with ours, we always get someone else to pump it out.

One or two excursions a year to sort out blockages is the only time we ever come near the stuff.

It's sorting out those blockages which puts me off a pump out.  Sounds horrific and far worse than dealing with a cassette!

Anyone remember (can find) the pictures posted a couple of years ago by (I think) "Are we there yet" showing an elsan station where someone had done a self pump-out and the end of the pipe had come out of the toilet bowl and leapt / thrashed around the room squirting the tank contents all over the walls, ceiling and floor ?

Makes Blaster Bates tale of "A shower of stuff over Cheshire" pale into insignificance

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The secret is that you not only rock the boat while the loo is being pumped out but you have filled several pails with canal water and when the glass in the pump put hose shows that things are coming to an end, you empty the pails down the loo and rock the boat some more. This successfully dislodges anything which might want to stay in the bottom of the tank. 

Having  worked with a cassette loo, I would never willingly go there again? . It is not the hassle of having to empty it with monotonous regularity but the stench you usually find at Elsans. 

I think we will stick with pumping out the loo after about six weeks of use by two of us!  

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 3

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

....and with ours, we always get someone else to pump it out.

One or two excursions a year to sort out blockages is the only time we ever come near the stuff.

Blockages? What are you eating? I prescribe more Guinness! 

OTOH, I inherited a tank with a, ahem, "pile" in it - this stuff sorted it... 

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

All has turned to liquid judging by the tube at my pump outs when using this ^^^^.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's sorting out those blockages which puts me off a pump out.  Sounds horrific and far worse than dealing with a cassette!

I agree, it does sound horrific!  So does a catastrophic tank "burp" showering the local WI cake stall at the waterside vicarage with uncomposted compost, but I doubt you'd experience that either unless you ate gunpowder and flushed some wadding!  :D

(OK, slight exaggeration, but treat it right and what's gonna block it?) 

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Blockages? What are you eating? I prescribe more Guinness!

(OK, slight exaggeration, but treat it right and what's gonna block it?) 

This years foray into the vacuflush pump revealed 2 pieces of sweetcorn, one in each of the inlet duckbill valves. What's the chance of that happening?

Sweetcorn now banned from the boat.

It really isnt a drama to flush it out. No worse than emptying a cassette.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

This years foray into the vacuflush pump revealed 2 pieces of sweetcorn, one in each of the inlet duckbill valves. What's the chance of that happening?

Sweetcorn now banned from the boat.

It really isnt a drama to flush it out. No worse than emptying a cassette.

Ah, sweetcorn!  Some of our members will remember Warship Sewage Treatment Plants which digest the waste biologically but occasionally go anaerobic and give off hydrogen sulphide, the "rotten egg" smell (until you can't smell it... then you die).  Whenever manual intervention is required, the one constant theme amongst the findings is a significant quantity of pristine sweetcorn - I'm pretty sure it gets used again.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, sweetcorn!  Some of our members will remember Warship Sewage Treatment Plants which digest the waste biologically but occasionally go anaerobic and give off hydrogen sulphide, the "rotten egg" smell (until you can't smell it... then you die).  Whenever manual intervention is required, the one constant theme amongst the findings is a significant quantity of pristine sweetcorn - I'm pretty sure it gets used again.

I've seen a fine crop of 'wild' tomatoes in the grounds of a sewage plant! ?

OK, well I was very fortunate in that my neighbour, by chance, volunteered to take me to the elsan point in his van, and when I opened the door, it was obvious someone had not been using the blue stuff ............ he should have left the door open ............ I was  having an upheaval, in fact several of them, i the general area...........

I would jut have left the thing there tbh.

anyway, my brave neighbour assured me he would empty it, but then he managed to break it!-

I never liked the lowness, or the bellows, so a an Excellence will arrive tomorrow.

Withthe blue and the pink and     stuff.

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

I've seen a fine crop of 'wild' tomatoes in the grounds of a sewage plant! ?

I've visited a few, in the course of my work, the worst one was near a hospital!

but actually "sewage" is a "sweet" liquid, but anything not moving/treated will be gagging!

15 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

That's a great idea.... Link 

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago from Aldi, considerably cheaper, reduced to £6.99 and very robust.

Edited by jam
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, jam said:

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago from Aldi, considerably cheaper, reduced to £6.99 and very robust.

And people buying this cheap stuff from China Aldi, ebay etc is a significant contributor to global warming, to cross-reference the other thread.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And people buying this cheap stuff from China Aldi, ebay etc is a significant contributor to global warming, to cross-reference the other thread.

I think you will find that expensive, is still the same product from China.

No matter ..........

I just did a trip to Tesco rather than Lidl just to use their facilities, this is what my life has become. [weep]

I threw out old potti thing as the smell was ingrained .................. 

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by LadyG

On 20/06/2019 at 10:39, Mike the Boilerman said:

Indeedy

Over winter all our pumpouts have been been done by boatyards with us doing as much helping as we can. Day before Yesterday found a nice CRT user operated pumpout machine at Red Bull services and did the first really good job for ages. At the end could see right down to the bottom of the tank with no sludge at all. There are now very few boatyards able to do a good proper pumpout.

To be fair to the boatyard on the Rochdale, it was not really their fault, the canal is so shallow on the service berth at Hebden Bridge its almost impossible to rock the boat :),

.............Dave

...............Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Indeedy

Over winter all our pumpouts have been been done by boatyards with us doing as much helping as we can. Day before Yesterday found a nice CRT user operated pumpout machine at Red Bull services and did the first really good job for ages. At the end could see right down to the bottom of the tank with no sludge at all. There are now very few boatyards able to do a good proper pumpout.

To be fair to the boatyard on the Rochdale, it was not really their fault, the canal is so shallow on the service berth at Hebden Bridge its almost impossible to rock the boat :),

.............Dave

...............Dave

I find myself wondering how many boats are on brokerage because the poo-tank only lasts a week between pump-outs 

???

• Haha 1

I think the story about poo tanks filling up with sludge is a bit overstated, though my experience of this is only for the dump thru' where you can easily see any problems developing. I suspect that really a lot of tanks are just too small, and some inexperienced boaters just put far too much water into them. Because it looks like a proper bog does not mean its like a house bog with infinite capacity. However there are an increasing number of boatyards who just suck the contents out without any attempt at boat rocking or flushing and this is asking for trouble.

When we started boating the local services were run by a long term liveaboard who, (once we had convinced him that we were not wan***s) taught us a whole load of useful stuff, including the art of a good pumpout.

A pumpout that can go less than about 6 weeks is less use than a cassette.:).

Non boaty visitors can be a bit of a problem too.

.............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I think the story about poo tanks filling up with sludge is a bit overstated, though my experience of this is only for the dump thru' where you can easily see any problems developing. I suspect that really a lot of tanks are just too small, and some inexperienced boaters just put far too much water into them. Because it looks like a proper bog does not mean its like a house bog with infinite capacity. However there are an increasing number of boatyards who just suck the contents out without any attempt at boat rocking or flushing and this is asking for trouble.

When we started boating the local services were run by a long term liveaboard who, (once we had convinced him that we were not wan***s) taught us a whole load of useful stuff, including the art of a good pumpout.

A pumpout that can go less than about 6 weeks is less use than a cassette.:).

Non boaty visitors can be a bit of a problem too.

.............Dave

Think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments. We have a 1200 litre tank on ours and it lasts forever. I have also reduced the water flow hence less fill up of the tank and saving on water. Lets not forget the other golden rule to save the tank, if its wee let it be, if its brown flush it down, all helped with a regular dose of bowl cleaner?

17 minutes ago, jam said:

Think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments. We have a 1200 litre tank on ours and it lasts forever. I have also reduced the water flow hence less fill up of the tank and saving on water. Lets not forget the other golden rule to save the tank, if its wee let it be, if its brown flush it down, all helped with a regular dose of bowl cleaner?

That will make a right old mess if it ever bursts :) I assume you have a widebeam as that's over a ton of S*** when its full.

And what sort of bowel cleaner do you use? I find cheaper beers work well :)

................Dave

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

That will make a right old mess if it ever bursts :) I assume you have a widebeam as that's over a ton of S*** when its full.

And what sort of bowel cleaner do you use? I find cheaper beers work well :)

................Dave

58' ex hire boat (narrow) with two toilets.

Aldi pink bowl cleaner and I'm sure it also keeps the sludge level down.

Edited by jam

11 hours ago, dmr said:

Indeedy

.............Dave

...............Dave

Probably the best pump outs we ever had were when we were based at Stockton Top Marina.  The chap doing them used to put the nozzle of a Karcher pressure washer down the opening of the bowl to give the tanks a good blast after the initial pump out.