Outboard Engine troubles

Featured Posts

Hi all! I am completely new to the boating world. I have just bought a old wilderness beaver, the engine was meant to work but it just doesn’t now. I think it’s a 10hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I’ve been told that it probably needs replacing. My boat is only 23ft, do you think I could just get a two stroke? I don’t really know the difference but I do want the boat to be able to move eventually. What hp would I need if I decided to go with a 2 stroke? Engines are so expensive and it’s just cost me a bit to move the thing across the country!

19 minutes ago, Zanna said:

Hi all! I am completely new to the boating world. I have just bought a old wilderness beaver, the engine was meant to work but it just doesn’t now. I think it’s a 10hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I’ve been told that it probably needs replacing. My boat is only 23ft, do you think I could just get a two stroke? I don’t really know the difference but I do want the boat to be able to move eventually. What hp would I need if I decided to go with a 2 stroke? Engines are so expensive and it’s just cost me a bit to move the thing across the country!

Welcome to the forum.
It has been a few years since I ran outboards, but I always found two strokes expensive on fuel when compared to a 4 stroke.
How old is the Yamaha and do you know why it has stopped running? They always seem to have a good name as being reliable and robust. Could just need the carb. cleaning and a good service?
Hopefully those who are more up to date will comment.

Edited by Guest

Outboards can be a pain to start 2-strokes are worse than 4-

They all need a strong arm - a good wrist action.

How do you know it doesn't work? - 'cos you cant start it - or some other reason?

If it's been stood a while, the first thing I'd try would be to empty out any stale fuel and pop a bit of fresh stuff in. Petrol can "go off" - ask anyone with a lawnmower! :)

Good luck - and welcome to the forum. 

Edited by Sea Dog
Double post

new 2 strokes can no longer be legally sold to private customers - not for a long time.

having said that, I bought a 20 year old Evinrude 4hp 2 stroke twin cylinder, with hand start, and it's very light and easy to carry around, which suits my purpose, but those advantages are irrelevant for powering a small canal boat;  it is noisy and makes a lot of smoke - not good characteristics for a canal boat.

you really need an electric start motor, I assume the 10hp Yamaha is electric (remote) start.

persevere with your Yamaha - get it serviced (anyone working with small petrol motors can do it - even a local garden centre I imagine). 

the Yamaha 10hp is a twin cylinder it should be easy to start once it has been serviced.

Edited by Murflynn

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If it's been stood a while, the first thing I'd try would be to empty out any stale fuel and pop a bit of fresh stuff in. Petrol can "go off" - ask anyone with a lawnmower! :)

Good luck - and welcome to the forum. 

Agree with this, and likely the carb. is full of gunge. Generators I have owned have done this if the carb. wasn't drained before storage.

It's quite likely that the petrol in the tank has lost it's volatility,so won't vapourise properly.

If the carb wasn't drained before storing,the fuel in the carb will have turned into a sticky sludge.

The Yam 9.9 is a very reliable lump,and yours probably just needs a service.

Carburetters don't like unleaded petrol which tends to leave a light brown sediment which can  block small jets easily. I recommend using Redex UCL which helps keeping the jets clean.  When unleaded petrol began I had loads of trouble with customers cars, cleaning, renewing idle jets. My car has a Webber carb and I use Redex in the petrol and no problem anymore.