Working Boats as maintenance craft

Heartland

Featured Posts

On 31/07/2019 at 20:30, catweasel said:

Found this in my archives. Think it was at Brum.

DSCF2394.JPG

ling is a nice boat but it's a shame it was put back, there are not many BW boats that have got there later cabins, radiant is prob one of the few

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

ling is a nice boat but it's a shame it was put back, there are not many BW boats that have got there later cabins, radiant is prob one of the few

But surely the point about Radiant is that (apart from some additions) it doesn't have a later cabin?

The picture above clearly shows most of it as a surviving 1930s riveted cabin.

Another surviving example from similar usage is Severn Dolphin (possibly Taygeta).

EDIT:

Surviving BW work boats with 1970s/1980s cabins include....

Arcas
Cambourne

Carnaby
Panther

Python

Renton

(and no doubt several that I'm not immediately thinking of)

Not many full length ones, though, admittedly.

Edited by alan_fincher

On 07/08/2019 at 08:24, Derek R. said:

You prefer this: -

375039013_RadiantDSC00236(Medium).JPG.30ebe67f548ffca1036001969558d1e0.JPG

All patches and bodges? Looks awful to me.

honestly yes it's an area of work history that's going due to being put back to 30s, dont get me wrong I do like an old style cabin but alot of boats have lost a big section of there later working life due to this.

On 07/08/2019 at 08:50, alan_fincher said:

But surely the point about Radiant is that (apart from some additions) it doesn't have a later cabin?

The picture above clearly shows most of it as a surviving 1930s riveted cabin.

Another surviving example from similar usage is Severn Dolphin (possibly Taygeta).

EDIT:

Surviving BW work boats with 1970s/1980s cabins include....

Arcas
Cambourne

Carnaby
Panther

Python

Renton

(and no doubt several that I'm not immediately thinking of)

Not many full length ones, though, admittedly.

I was using radiant as an example that it hasn't been put back to 30s. yes it's nice its kept its early cabin, I also like Hercules for the fact it's still a maintenance boat and kept inuse like it is. (yes realise it's still CRT owned and used)

19 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I was using radiant as an example that it hasn't been put back to 30s. yes it's nice its kept its early cabin, I also like Hercules for the fact it's still a maintenance boat and kept inuse like it is. (yes realise it's still CRT owned and used)

I like Hercules and wish to take him home. Also Malvern. Either or both will do.

Edited by Guest

yes I agree, I have been told by a CRT beater who uses them both that sence they moved malverns engine to the back it dosnt steer anywhere near as good but I have no first hand steering of either

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party but what about Naburn? Still - as far as I can tell - essentially operating as a maintenance boat but with volunteer crew and under the guise of a 'community boat', albeit owned and managed by CRT, and another one for the list with the BW workboat cabin. On the Sheffield Canal based at Tinsley.

On 19/06/2019 at 18:53, catweasel said:

MALVERN is moored behind us near Bunbury today. She has bags of ballast on board and is clearly still working. I want to take Malvern home with me.
There is one such boat sunk close to Middlewich, possibly Hercules but not 100% sure.

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

And still on the 48hr visitor mooring last week.

4 hours ago, dor said:

And still on the 48hr visitor mooring last week.

Knew I should have towed it home :) Did you also notice the cRt  boat on the services at Nantwich?  They tell me it has been there all summer. Hope the trip is going well :)