Working Boats as maintenance craft

Heartland

Featured Posts

On 03/07/2019 at 09:51, FadeToScarlet said:

And I believe the stern end was tied up next to it over the weekend, as it is now the foreend of a new boat.

I wondered if thatwas the back end of Achilles facing backwards.

I reckoned that if the front end kept the name 'Achilles', the back end should be 'Achilles Heel'.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, fittie said:

Duke was a big GU boat and this Duke is not the Duke No 38. 

So what is it?

It's a poor quality copy of a royalty boat, and 'borrowed' a name from the fleet. 

Fake rivets on a swim? That tells you all you need to know!

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

7 minutes ago, fittie said:

Very poor copy, wrong back end and cabin...

Don't get me started on whats wrong with it - in fact it's easier to say what is right, and that is that it floats!

I was trying to be very kind...I feel sorry as I have seen several Yarwood's copies and they are quite poor. One person told me it was their dream to have a Yarwood copy and what they got, well, it's not that great as if built by someone who had been told what they looked like but never seen one in the flesh. In fact I have a natural history book about 200 years old and some of the animals illustrated are hilarious.

i'm far from convinced that this Duke was ever intended to be an accurate copy of a Royalty boat.

DSCF4272.JPG

I thought the intention was just "Yarwoods-esque".

If it is the one that was based in Amsterdam, I thought I had the impression that Keith Ball / Industry Narrowboats were involved, but I can't imediately find it in the CanalPlanAC listings, so I think i must be remembering wrong.  Who do we think built this one?

Edited by alan_fincher

On 19/06/2019 at 18:53, catweasel said:

MALVERN is moored behind us near Bunbury today. She has bags of ballast on board and is clearly still working. I want to take Malvern home with me.
There is one such boat sunk close to Middlewich, possibly Hercules but not 100% sure.

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

from the CRT guys I spoke to when they put the engine in the back cabin it reined how she handled, this was a guy who steers this and Hercules most weeks

On 24/07/2019 at 17:34, alan_fincher said:

i'm far from convinced that this Duke was ever intended to be an accurate copy of a Royalty boat.

DSCF4272.JPG

I thought the intention was just "Yarwoods-esque".

If it is the one that was based in Amsterdam, I thought I had the impression that Keith Ball / Industry Narrowboats were involved, but I can't imediately find it in the CanalPlanAC listings, so I think i must be remembering wrong.  Who do we think built this one?

It’s a Barry Hawkins boat, looks like most of his boats. Industry Narrowboats only cut a section out before it went to Amsterdam

1 minute ago, Tiggers said:

It’s a Barry Hawkins boat, looks like most of his boats. Industry Narrowboats only cut a section out before it went to Amsterdam

Thanks for clarifying.

I think my confusion may be to do with the fact that I think Keith told us originally had some plan to turn Enceladus into a boat to be used on the waterways in the Netherlands in a similar manner to what Duke was then doing.   I believe he said he had a Russell Newbery DM4 that might go in to it?  (Sounded good if you wanted to tow water skiers!)

Or have I imagined all that lot? ?

11 minutes ago, Tiggers said:

That does sound like something Keith would do and we do have a 4 cylinder RN here!

Yes - I think ye may have told me he bought a particular boat just to acquire the engine.

Never seen a DM4, let alone in a narrow boat.

We did tell Keith that if we had any interest in Enceladus we would be wanting something with less cylinders!

Edited by alan_fincher