Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Cricket World Cup 2019

Featured Posts

This Cricket World Cup for me seems to be almost passing without comment , I am not to sure if this is down to the Countries current Political Situation or more likely the fact that unless you have a Sky Subscription its impossible to watch Complete Matches on  Free Terrestrial Television . Oh well I shall have to pop up John Lewis later for a new Digital Radio and settle for Five Live , sadly given the Weather Forecast , the Deckchair and Sunhat will have to wait for another Day 😀

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been following it quite closely, and the England matches assiduously. The latter I've listened to on Test Match Special. It is indeed a shame that they are not shown "live" on normal T.V., but at least we do get the chance to watch highlights.

 

My favourite stat. from yesterday's broadcast: if Eoin Morgan was a country, he's still have hit the third-highest number of sixes in the tournament so far.

Edited by Athy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the cricket on in our office via Now TV. Other than having New Zealand in the sweepstake I'm not really interested in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not been following the cricket on telly nor radio, just hear comments on the news. Is there somewhere you can 'glance' to see how everyone is doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not been following the cricket on telly nor radio, just hear comments on the news. Is there somewhere you can 'glance' to see how everyone is doing?

https://www.bbc.com/sport is the place to go for free!

 

Nipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not been following the cricket on telly nor radio, just hear comments on the news. Is there somewhere you can 'glance' to see how everyone is doing?

Yes, a web site called espn cricinfo has all the latest county and international scoreboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

 

My favourite stat. from yesterday's broadcast: if Eoin Morgan was a country, he's still have hit the third-highest number of sixes in the tournament so far.

 

Another stat: Moeen Ali scored 31 off 9 balls. Averaging more than 3 a ball is impressive by any standard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

 

Another stat: Moeen Ali scored 31 off 9 balls. Averaging more than 3 a ball is impressive by any standard!

He had been dropped for the previous match and, having regained his place, was perhaps anxious to make an impression!

 

I sometimes wonder what my dad, a lifelong follower of cricket, would make of current scoring rates. I remember going with him to watch a one-day match in which The International cavaliers (Ted Dexter's team) played either Derbyshire or Leics. This would have been in about 1965. As we left the ground, Dad said "Do you realise that over 400 runs have been scored in a single day?", with a sense of wonder. Nowadays, spectators will cavil and grouse if fewer than 400 runs are scored in a one-day game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, it is pyjama cricket, not a Test match. Far more risks are taken, and some of the bowling can be rather wayward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

To be fair, it is pyjama cricket, not a Test match. Far more risks are taken, and some of the bowling can be rather wayward!

Wayward bowling has been known to find its way on to Test Match grounds. Surely you remember Mr. Devon Eugene Malcolm, a fast bowler for whom I had great admiration (I love an unlikely hero) but whose radar was often not correctly calibrated. Mitchell Johnson, on his way to becoming a great fast bowler, had a similar affliction in his earlier career, as evidenced by the England supporters' song about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

Wayward bowling has been known to find its way on to Test Match grounds

 

One G Boycott comes to mind (Right-arm Optimistic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

 

One G Boycott comes to mind (Right-arm Optimistic).

You tell him. I'm not going to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a vivid recollection of him bowlng wearing his cap. He is in his late 70s now, though, so not much of a threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to listen to Test Match Special quite often, and always made sure to listen when Devon Malcolm was batting. He apparently took a very optimistic view of his batting ability, and perhaps couldn't wait to be bowling again, so his score was usually a very low multiple of 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

 

One G Boycott comes to mind (Right-arm Optimistic).

I remember sometime back being castigated on a Jaguar Forum funnily enough by some Members from Yorkshire , my crime was to name Boycott as one of Britains Greatest Yorkshiremen . I never realised what a Marmite Figure he is up there .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I used to listen to Test Match Special quite often, and always made sure to listen when Devon Malcolm was batting. He apparently took a very optimistic view of his batting ability, and perhaps couldn't wait to be bowling again, so his score was usually a very low multiple of 4.

 

Some nine, ten, jack players can/could bat though -- I'm thinking (in no particular order) of Derek Underwood, Danny Vettori (probably my favourite spin bowler of all time) Mitchell Starc,  Imran Khan, Chris Old, Keith Boyce .. sorry, my age is starting to show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know what you Boys think of Englands Progress thus Far , lacklustre ? Too much talk , Beating India will be the thing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

I dont know what you Boys think of Englands Progress thus Far , lacklustre ? Too much talk , Beating India will be the thing .

Well, the Press, the pundits, the players and everybody else had us as winners before a ball had been bowled.

Only for team to play the same old same old!

 

I'll also add that there,. nowadays, seem, to be far too much chat on the BBC, so much that I have drifted away from them and am seeing and hearing free on the internet!

 

Nipper

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nipper said:

Well, the Press, the pundits, the players and everybody else had us as winners before a ball had been bowled.

Only for team to play the same old same old!

 

I'll also add that there,. nowadays, seem, to be far too much chat on the BBC, so much that I have drifted away from them and am seeing and hearing free on the internet!

 

Nipper

 

I agree Nipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2019 at 10:00, nipper said:

Well, the Press, the pundits, the players and everybody else had us as winners before a ball had been bowled.

Only for team to play the same old same old!

 

 

 

If by "same old, same old" you mean continuing their excellent form of the past couple of years, then yes indeed.

Their most recent defeats came when the team was weakened by the absence of Roy (injury) and Plunkett (inexplicable selection decision).

While their performance yesterday was commendable, does anyone else share the view that India weren't trying very hard towards the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Athy said:

If by "same old, same old" you mean continuing their excellent form of the past couple of years, then yes indeed.

Their most recent defeats came when the team was weakened by the absence of Roy (injury) and Plunkett (inexplicable selection decision).

While their performance yesterday was commendable, does anyone else share the view that India weren't trying very hard towards the end?

Apparently they knew they were going to lose and were being unsportsmanlike and were very naughty.

Well at least that's what radio 4 sports said, not exactly verbatim you understand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Parahandy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48819515

 

Well 31 Runs ? This wasn't a Bad Display  Nipper ?

No, not really, it's just that they made a right old meal of getting there!

Never mind, nearly there and then we will bottle it!

Nipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Apparently they knew they were going to lose and were being unsportsmanlike and were very naughty.

Well at least that's what radio 4 sports said, not exactly verbatim you understand 

I heard similar comments on 5 Live Sports Extra (probably the same programme) - but with Dhoni at the crease and several overs to go, they shouldn't have been thinking about losing - he can score VERY fast (as I saw him do three or for years ago in a match at Derby).

One theory is that they already knew that they were through to the knock-out stage, and wanted to ensure that they didn't have to play Pakistan again, as the two nations do not get on well at the moment. Had they beaten England, then Pakistan would have had a better chance of getting through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.