Wi fit on board

Karl

Featured Posts

Hi all, I am interested in WiFi on board and have contacted a company named as such. Reports appear good but I am also looking at using two smart TVs on board so I can watch tv on the net via a 4g router rather than marina WiFi can this be done ? Are the routers good enough. Stem tv on board and how do I go about getting a SIM card for the router ? Also how much data and speed do I need ? I’ve been told three do one for about £20 a month with u limited data but don’t know ether it is strong enough to do tv aswell as internet or am I getting it all confused. Man thanks.

The routers will be good enough: the question is whether the 4g signal is good enough.

(posted from Lymm, with one bar out of five showing on the 4g. Much of the last week , it's been 3G only)

Although, I suppose the 4g signal might be better if there were fewer people wasting bandwidth by streaming TV ?

• Greenie 1

Three do unlimited data and mifi for £22 month. 

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?id=1681&ds_rl=1238715&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9JzoBRDjARIsAGcdIDUh3C0lyElZ3mxXYBGS4EwJVFpLaeXCMUfP6Ft_I2gAewYisphFNFUaAlG5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aidset=1&awc=10210_1560891031_b13d20a0cc743d356d5a22b968b39ba9&memory=0&colour=Black

We use the 3 system linked above down here in Devon. Technically its not unlimited but 100mb with an unlimited add on, so the paperwork says.
I have an old Android tablet to control it all casting to an equally old chromecast.
Speed is 46mb at present and C is watching Netflix.
We use Netflix, BBC I-player, ITV hub, All4, My5 and UKTV play. 

also stream Sky-go to a second TV via my laptop
Works for us

53 minutes ago, Loddon said:

We use the 3 system linked above down here in Devon

As it happens, I’m in North Devon right now and my Three speed ain’t great...

74C193D3-3D9C-433F-976D-C652696D318A.png.3d54476c22953a6fe83084ba5a0051ab.png

But it’s usually much better than that. 

If you have an unlocked router you could try Smarty (google it) It's part of Three and offers a unlimited* pay as you go sim for £25 per month, just a few quid more than a 12/24 month contract. The sim works in phones and mobile routers and its easy to cancel if you find its not for you.

* They say unlimited but it's actually a maximum of 1000GB per month. No throttling though and the speed is fine for the likes of Netflix etc. with a decent signal.

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

As it happens, I’m in North Devon right now and my Three speed ain’t great...

I can take you to a wonderful brewery/campsite in North Devon that only sometimes gets 2g coverage if you are lucky!

https://en-gb.facebook.com/ArtBrewBrewery/

So not everywhere down here is blessed with decent signal.

Where in Nth Devon are you?

I can’t see how one well known seller of on board wi fi can justify 150 quid for an external antenna without router...

plenty of routers and antennas on auction sites at significantly less money...

dont pay the ‘marine’ premium ! 

9 hours ago, bill brown said:

If you have an unlocked router you could try Smarty (google it) It's part of Three and offers a unlimited* pay as you go sim for £25 per month, just a few quid more than a 12/24 month contract. The sim works in phones and mobile routers and its easy to cancel if you find its not for you.

* They say unlimited but it's actually a maximum of 1000GB per month. No throttling though and the speed is fine for the likes of Netflix etc. with a decent signal.

We pay 20 quid a month for Three unlimited sim, run it through an unlocked EE osprey and it is fine for internet and Netflix in most locations.

Firstly I agree with comments from jonathanA, you could use the specs on equipment from WIFI on board and find comparables and depending on the numbers, purchase in the open market.

What I can share is that the equipment and configuration works and is solid. I use EE for data sim, download speeds in busy marina typically 10 >20 MB, can be 30>50 MB DL on the CUT, can't remember not getting coverage in 4 years, it does get hammered with internet streaming when I have family on board but can normally handle the traffic,  depending  on location.

Voice over IP works well through the router and removes the issue of living in a Faraday cage.

Good luck,

Perhaps I'm old fashioned (well I am as the handle implies),

But,

but,

but - what's wrong with satellite and/ or terestrial TV? DO you have to have Neflix et al?

With a bit of organising we can find enough programmes to watch / RECORD to satisfy our needs - and there's no subscription require.

However there's no footer or racing either....

13 hours ago, Karl said:

Hi all, I am interested in WiFi on board and have contacted a company named as such. Reports appear good but I am also looking at using two smart TVs on board so I can watch tv on the net via a 4g router rather than marina WiFi can this be done ? Are the routers good enough. Stem tv on board and how do I go about getting a SIM card for the router ? Also how much data and speed do I need ? I’ve been told three do one for about £20 a month with u limited data but don’t know ether it is strong enough to do tv aswell as internet or am I getting it all confused. Man thanks.

We are a fairly big user of data on board using 4g.

Buy a decent router and antenna. Ours is a Teltonika router and dual feed antenna 3ft above the roof.

We have 2 sims. We took out an EE contract 2 years ago for £40 for 60Gb and in April the "3" £20 unlimited deal.

Since start of May, we have been pootling about from Braunston to Warwick to  Brum to Dudley and up to great Haywood. 20 different locations ish. The router is normally on the "3" sim but there were 4 overnight stops where the signal was not good enough to stream. 16 out of 20 is not too bad for unlimited. In 2 other locations - the centre of brum and bottom of Netherton tunnel, there was a strong signal (-51dB) but it would drop out for 30 mins every now and again. The "3" web site said there was a local problem!!!

In all cases where the "3" signal was not good enough, the EE sim worked fine for streaming. In the 2 years previous we NEVER had a problem with the EE and it even got got service in the black holes of Braunston and Lower Heyford. EE is the bees knees in my opinion for reception but not price.

The "3" deal is amazing. Unlimited....and yes it is unlimited (up to their limit but its difficult to do 30Gb a day!!!!....even we cant do that) but there are certainly some spots where you are not going to get a signal. If you are CC'ing and need a signal all the time then I would get a "3" and another. If you are in a marina, just check the "3" works at that location and then you should be fine with just "3".

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Yup :)

7 to 7 six days a week, 7 to 12 on Sundays. 

We owned a property near there as a bolt hole for a while. That shop was a godsend. Good luck to them.

We have a 4G router on our boat and when we visit it I put my 3 unlimited sim into it from my Phone, it seems to work ok last summer in one month period we used 199GB, both boys was with us. 

I have noticed of late that the 3 signal is not as good now though, even at home, but it still works. 

The wife has EE and she always seems to get internet on her phone when 3 can't.

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why on earth would you need any phone signal if the beer is that good?

You don't unless you are camping there when the bar is shut and you have run out of beer!

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Bratton Fleming :)  

Deep in the heart of, well, nowhere really. 

About the same distance NE of Barnstaple as we are SW.

Interesting Brewery just the other side of Barnstaple from Bratton Fleming

Its the Yelland Manor Brewery, Quirky place only brews one beer but that is excellent.

Sporadic opening hours normally Friday ,Sat, Sun afternoons but Laurence is often there at other times.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We are a fairly big user of data on board using 4g.

Buy a decent router and antenna. Ours is a Teltonika router and dual feed antenna 3ft above the roof.

We have 2 sims. We took out an EE contract 2 years ago for £40 for 60Gb and in April the "3" £20 unlimited deal.

Since start of May, we have been pootling about from Braunston to Warwick to  Brum to Dudley and up to great Haywood. 20 different locations ish. The router is normally on the "3" sim but there were 4 overnight stops where the signal was not good enough to stream. 16 out of 20 is not too bad for unlimited. In 2 other locations - the centre of brum and bottom of Netherton tunnel, there was a strong signal (-51dB) but it would drop out for 30 mins every now and again. The "3" web site said there was a local problem!!!

In all cases where the "3" signal was not good enough, the EE sim worked fine for streaming. In the 2 years previous we NEVER had a problem with the EE and it even got got service in the black holes of Braunston and Lower Heyford. EE is the bees knees in my opinion for reception but not price.

The "3" deal is amazing. Unlimited....and yes it is unlimited (up to their limit but its difficult to do 30Gb a day!!!!....even we cant do that) but there are certainly some spots where you are not going to get a signal. If you are CC'ing and need a signal all the time then I would get a "3" and another. If you are in a marina, just check the "3" works at that location and then you should be fine with just "3".

Hey Dr Bob, what antenna do you use, and does your router switch between networks as required automatically or do you have to do it manually?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We owned a property near there as a bolt hole for a while. That shop was a godsend. Good luck to them.

It’s in a new container-like building. They do teas, sandwiches etc in addition to all those last minute essentials.

The pub opposite - The White Hart - closed in Dec 2012 and the community have been fighting the owners ever since. Finance house owns it and wants to develop housing, while the local community wants to run it as a community asset. Latest planning hearing was the 12th, so they’re waiting to see how they got on. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

It’s in a new container-like building. They do teas, sandwiches etc in addition to all those last minute essentials.

The pub opposite - The White Hart - closed in Dec 2012 and the community have been fighting the owners ever since. Finance house owns it and wants to develop housing, while the local community wants to run it as a community asset. Latest planning hearing was the 12th, so they’re waiting to see how they got on. 

Many village type pubs have closed and the community always get up in arms about it. The reality is those people hardly ever used it and certainly not enough to maintain it as a viable business with staff wages and overheads taken care of. Some do open and are staffed by vollies and can survive that way, many people then and only then find out was is really involved in running a pub.