Locks North of Watford

Martin@75

Featured Posts

After a lovely trip to the top of the Chesterfield, we are now stuck in West Stockwith Basin due to the high river levels on the Trent. 

Due to this hold up, we are now considering taking Braggabout @ 58’-6” x 7’ in to Sheffield and leaving our trip to Ripon for next year? Checking lock dimensions on the S&SYN, it would seem the official lock size for Sheffield to Rotherham is 56’-6” x 15’-3” (something of a surprise) so can we fit ? 

We have done the Huddersfield Wide @ 57’-6” x 14’-2” with no problems.

Similar questions hang over the R. Ure @ 57’-0” x 14’-6” & Linton Lk. The benefit of anybody’s practical experience would be most welcome.

2 hours ago, Martin@75 said:

After a lovely trip to the top of the Chesterfield, we are now stuck in West Stockwith Basin due to the high river levels on the Trent. 

Due to this hold up, we are now considering taking Braggabout @ 58’-6” x 7’ in to Sheffield and leaving our trip to Ripon for next year? Checking lock dimensions on the S&SYN, it would seem the official lock size for Sheffield to Rotherham is 56’-6” x 15’-3” (something of a surprise) so can we fit ? 

We have done the Huddersfield Wide @ 57’-6” x 14’-2” with no problems.

Similar questions hang over the R. Ure @ 57’-0” x 14’-6” & Linton Lk. The benefit of anybody’s practical experience would be most welcome.

You'll get to Sheffield no problem, I don't know who is suddenly changing the lock dimensions, but I can assure you that you can get a 61'6" boat too and back on the Sheffield canal. The trip boat there is 61'6" x 15' and yearly he goes out to dry dock for blackening. As I say I don't know who has suddenly started changing the official guides, but they maybe need to get out of the office and get on the ground and see that the locks have not suddenly shrank.

What guide are you looking at?  Have a look here at "Dimensions of our waterways"

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

They have got the visitor stay wrong for Sheffield as it is 48hrs NOT 9 Days.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Martin@75 said:

I am glad you enjoyed your trip on The Chesterfield.

I am surprised you are stuck at West Stockwith because I thought the river levels were going down. Python left on Sunday and although there was plenty of fresh they had no problem on the tideway. They have reached Stoke Bardolph tonight and have been taking advice at each lock on their journey before carrying on. They may have a problem when they get to Cranfleet unless the levels get back to normal but so far, so good.

I hope you manage to get into Sheffield. We were going to go last year and an unexpected occurance caused us to detour to Ripon instead where we promp;ty got stuck when Selby Lock went out of action.

On 18/06/2019 at 23:57, cheshire~rose said:

I am glad you enjoyed your trip on The Chesterfield.

I am surprised you are stuck at West Stockwith because I thought the river levels were going down. Python left on Sunday and although there was plenty of fresh they had no problem on the tideway. They have reached Stoke Bardolph tonight and have been taking advice at each lock on their journey before carrying on. They may have a problem when they get to Cranfleet unless the levels get back to normal but so far, so good.

I hope you manage to get into Sheffield. We were going to go last year and an unexpected occurance caused us to detour to Ripon instead where we promp;ty got stuck when Selby Lock went out of action.

Thanks, we did see you go. Our trip down the Trent turned out to be a total anti-climax (after all the negative comments from supposed experienced users) with a very easy reverse entry down past and into Keadby Lock.

We are now up on the S&SY and what a lovely waterway this is. Totally un promoted and very few boats. The Stainforth & Keadby it a real Blue Sky Fenland waterway. The section between Doncaster to Swinton could be on the Thames (without the mansions) Goring Gap springs to mind. Thorn Lk begs the question what is the longest NB that will fit. A fellow boater felt the need to go via Trent Falls due Thorne Lk, but others say Thorn will take 70'. (previous post this forum) The CRT site just gives the lock size so was not much help to him. So real personal experience is important.