One for the heating engineers

frygood

Featured Posts

Hi 

On my boat i have a domestic boiler built into a range[Heritage].It feeds 4 radiators and does Hot water.It is controlled by a Honeywell heating controller.It has a pressurised heating system with a motorised valve and hot water pump.

Now this dos not bother me to much but i am puzzled by it.

Every now and again[once maybe twice a day] the boiler ignites and runs for about 5 minutes and then turns off again.I am fairly sure this is on the hot water side of things, because i turn down the knob on the range[boiler] which controls the temp of the hot water leaving the boiler this usual stops the boiler running to long.If the temp is higher it runs for longer.

The strange thing is Every thing on the honeywell is in the off position.as i manually control things.

Like i said I'm not that worried it does waste a little fuel.But in the winter a little warmth in the Calothingy[hot water tank]isnt a bad thing.

Any ideas Guys.

Regards Carl  

6 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

What Honeywell heating controller do you have? What is the motorised valve, 2 port or three port?

ST9400C is the number on the Honeywell.As for the motorised Valve.There is a pipe going in each side and one coming out of the bottom.so i am assuming a 3 port.but im no expert.

Is the controller part of the cooker or separate? What controls the cooker? It would seem you have a Y plan. Do you have a separate room thermostat and thermostat on the cylinder?

Without seeing a wiring diagram, it is difficult to be precise. Does your cooker have one or two burners?  

Which model of heritage is it?

Edited by Ex Brummie
extra question

Possibly the thermostat on the range is coming on to keep the range hot.

The cylinder stat and the room stat will shut down the pump but not the range if its not wired correctly.

If you go on line and find the wiring diagram for " Honeywell Y plan" compare the wiring to the range to see if the wiring positively turns the boiler off or whether the range is capable of being used when the heating and hot water is off or up to temperature. I suspect that it is wired so that the range works without the heating and hot water so that you can cook.

31 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Is the controller part of the cooker or separate? What controls the cooker? It would seem you have a Y plan. Do you have a separate room thermostat and thermostat on the cylinder?

Without seeing a wiring diagram, it is difficult to be precise. Does your cooker have one or two burners?  

Which model of heritage is it?

OK its a heritage compact Duette. 2 burners so the cooker and boiler are separate units although contained in the same range.I do  have a separate room thermostat and a thermostat on the cylinder.The cooker side is controlled by a panel on the heritage.The radiators do not get  warmer or the cooker that's why i feel its the hot water that is heating if anything is.

Edited by frygood

12 minutes ago, hider said:

Possibly the thermostat on the range is coming on to keep the range hot.

The cylinder stat and the room stat will shut down the pump but not the range if its not wired correctly.

If you go on line and find the wiring diagram for " Honeywell Y plan" compare the wiring to the range to see if the wiring positively turns the boiler off or whether the range is capable of being used when the heating and hot water is off or up to temperature. I suspect that it is wired so that the range works without the heating and hot water so that you can cook.

next time it comes on i will have a good feel around the cooking side to see if i can detect any warmth.I have just remembered in the past when the boiler stat was set higher i have been able to turn it right down which has immediately turned of the strange start up.

A lot of boilers have an automatic cycle where they run for a few minutes running any pumps and fans once every 24 hrs  or so.  Took me ages to discover why mine would come on at 14.07 every day for a purple of minutes....

36 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Which burner fires when it runs?

Its very  hard to tell.

5 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

A lot of boilers have an automatic cycle where they run for a few minutes running any pumps and fans once every 24 hrs  or so.  Took me ages to discover why mine would come on at 14.07 every day for a purple of minutes....

maybe that's the reason