Removing sliding glass on Channel Glaze windows

Stephen Jeavons

Featured Posts

Anyone tried to do this without removing the entire frame from the boat in order to clean the crud where the two panes overlap? Is it possible?

My theory is:

If the sliding pane is open, can one dig out and remove the fabric channel the glass slides in and would this allow the glass to drop sufficiently (if slid back) to be removed? Lots of unsightly crud where the two panes overlap which you cannot get to. I figured one could replace new channels and seals the same way.  (It's the way they install and remove some sliding doors in houses)

Taking the entire frame out of the boat at this stage doesn't thrill me when all I want to do is clean the window and remove the inaccessible agriculture.

Stephen 

Sometimes the top channels are deep to enable the glass to be lifted up and out over the lower one. Spoon handles might lever them up ot plastic levers less likely to break the glass.

Burglar Bizzard.

Edited by bizzard

I think you have to disassemble the window to get the slidy bits out.   Easiest to clean them with a toothbrush modified by sanding the sides off (angle grinder and sanding disc is quickest) till it is narrow enough.    After you have cleaned out what you can, tape the drain holes and fill the channels with Patio Wizard or Patio Magic for 10 minutes or so.    This will kill any remaining moss and algae bits and hold off the reappearance of greenery.

N