Washing machine discharge containing microplastic - what to do?

Psycloud

Featured Posts

So on last night's War On Plastic program they showed the microplastic in the washing waste water.  Like most boaty people our washing machine waste ends up in the canal for the fish to consume.  I know you can buy massively expensive filters and also Cora balls but that only captures about 28%.  I wonder of just putting a filterbag over the outlet would work?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

The clue's in the name -- microplastic.

The microscopic particles are too small to be caught by a filter.

I suspect that the particles caught by the bag linked to by Tumsh below aren't "micro" although I would agree that some fibres are caught by it. 

Edited by Machpoint005
to add rider

I haven't tried this as I've only just heard about it and so far I haven't seen anything else like it. I quite like the Ethical Superstore but I do find them a little pricier than some of the other green places I shop but they often have interesting things that I can't find else where. 

https://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/guppyfriend/guppyfriend-washing-bag/

6 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

So on last night's War On Plastic program they showed the microplastic in the washing waste water.  Like most boaty people our washing machine waste ends up in the canal for the fish to consume.  I know you can buy massively expensive filters and also Cora balls but that only captures about 28%.  I wonder of just putting a filterbag over the outlet would work?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

As microplastic size goes down to 0.0016mm diameter (1.6 thousandths of a mm) I think in reality you will not find a filter that will catch it and allow water to pass freely.

You may catch the 1 to 2 to 3 mm  which I suppose 'every little helps'

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I haven't tried this as I've only just heard about it and so far I haven't seen anything else like it. I quite like the Ethical Superstore but I do find them a little pricier than some of the other green places I shop but they often have interesting things that I can't find else where. 

https://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/guppyfriend/guppyfriend-washing-bag/

I would like to be able to put something like that over the outlet rather than inside the machine.  Maybe I could make something using a fine mesh and a funnel?

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suspect that the particles caught by the bag linked to by Tumsh above aren't "micro" although I woud agree that some fibres are caught by it. 

Probbly not the micro micro particles no, and as I haven't tried it a wouldn't like to say how helpful it actually is; apart from some technologically advanced outdoor gear I try to buy clothes / sheets / towels  made from 100% natural fibres where is can therefore lowering my need for a bag like this, hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

I would like to be able to put something like that over the outlet rather than inside the machine.  Maybe I could make something using a fine mesh and a funnel?

That's a though but you would need a smarted person than me to talk that one over with. ?

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Upon what evidence do you believe it? The linked web site says nothing about microplastics, which AFAIK come from the synthetic clothes, not the detergents.

I assumed detergents which is why I specified plastics from detergents.  My first edit didn't save, second one did.

Can we assume wearing natural fibres will not cause plastic contamination?

Edited by Loddon

The only way I know of to not discharge micro plastics is not to wash stuff containing them.

100% natural fibres is the only way.

If you can not live without synthetic garments (I know most of my stuff contains polyester etc) then accept you will discharge the stuff.

That said I now look to see the % level of synthetics in garments and do try to buy cotton or at least cotton rich, Small steps..........

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The clue's in the name -- microplastic.

The microscopic particles are too small to be caught by a filter.

I suspect that the particles caught by the bag linked to by Tumsh below aren't "micro" although I would agree that some fibres are caught by it. 

But the particles were being caught by the filter on the TV programme. I think the commonly accepted definition of micro-plastics are those less than 5mm in size. 

19 hours ago, Loddon said:

Can we assume wearing natural fibres will not cause plastic contamination?

Yes, but as Hugh briefly mentioned on the programme, production of many natural textiles has its own set of environmental impacts.

Edited by blackrose

20 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mayvbe you could, but it wouldn't catch any microplastics.

Yes it would. That's exactly what was done at the University to show us how much micro-plastic was being produced form washing one fleece top.

I think the filter would soon block your waste pipe though (not just with micro plastic) and you would have to clear it after every wash.

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As microplastic size goes down to 0.0016mm diameter (1.6 thousandths of a mm) I think in reality you will not find a filter that will catch it and allow water to pass freely.

You may catch the 1 to 2 to 3 mm  which I suppose 'every little helps'

Did anyone else actually watch the programme? They were catching particles far smaller than that. But as you say, the filter would soon block the flow of waste water.

34 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, but as Hugh briefly mentioned on the programme, production of many natural textiles has its own set of environmental impacts.

I've watched episode 1 but not episode 2 yet. I'm assuming the answer to the problem is nudity?

Either that or don't wash your clothes until they stand up on their own when you take them off.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes it would. That's exactly what was done at the University to show us how much micro-plastic was being produced form washing one fleece top.

I think the filter would soon block your waste pipe though (not just with micro plastic) and you would have to clear it after every wash.

Did anyone else actually watch the programme? They were catching particles far smaller than that. But as you say, the filter would soon block the flow of waste water.

I don't mind cleaning the filter after each wash - it would just be clipped on the end of the pipe.  So the question is what could I use? I appreciate I can't catch everything but even if it's just what they got from Hugh's jumper on the program then that multiplied by all the items I wash would be a good start?  I've asked C&RT what they think about this too :)

23 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

I don't mind cleaning the filter after each wash - it would just be clipped on the end of the pipe.  So the question is what could I use? I appreciate I can't catch everything but even if it's just what they got from Hugh's jumper on the program then that multiplied by all the items I wash would be a good start?  I've asked C&RT what they think about this too :)

Be careful what you wish for as If CRT don't like it then they might end up banning washing machine discharge into the canal. 

21 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Be careful what you wish for as If CRT don't like it then they might end up banning washing machine discharge into the canal. 

Many years ago (before the smoking ban came into effect) our Technical Director spoke to our insurers and asked in view of the large amount of packaging materials in the stores would they reduce the premium if we banned smoking in the building.

Answer :

No, but we will not increase it by as much as we were going to, and, that is only if you ban smoking in all of the buildings.

4 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I wish for filters to be standard in all washing machines and at least a retro fit option that doesn't cost £150 :)  I see there is already a petition to have this implemented https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/248269  It will have to come one day since ultimately the water in the canal ends up in the sea (well the GU at least) and we can't keep on pumping plastic into the water when a simple filter could be added at manufacture time.

I feel certain that pollution in the air and in watercourses  in the past was much worse than it is now. The difference is the pollution can now be detected and measured more precisely.

Clothing made from natural fibres also shed fibres.

Perhaps discharging  washing machine waste into a watercourse should be prohibited. Instead it should go to a holding tank for pump out. 

Even so small particles would presumably not be filtered out by sewage works treatment. 

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps discharging  washing machine waste into a watercourse should be prohibited. Instead it should go to a holding tank for pump out.

it will come -

Several countries around the Med already insist on it (with HUGE fines for non-compliance)

Our boat has 2x Sea Toilets (direct outlet into the sea / river)

Black water (Toilet) holding tank that can be 'pumped out' below the water line when in international waters)

Grey water tank (showers, washing etc that can be 'pumped out' below the water line when in international waters)

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

I feel certain that pollution in the air and in watercourses  in the past was much worse than it is now. The difference is the pollution can now be detected and measured more precisely.

Clothing made from natural fibres also shed fibres.

Even so small particles would presumably not be filtered out by sewage works treatment. 

I agree that pollution into water courses was much worse before, but it was a different kind of pollution (not saying this was ok) whereas micro plastics will remain in the sea for years killing marine life.  Pollutants previously were either dispersed and so diluted and broken down, or in the case of heavy metal wastes would sink to the bottom and stay there polluting relativity small areas.  Now the stuff disperses but does not break down in a reasonable time and will accumulate within sea life, as do some chemical pollutants such as pcb and DDT.  So though the total polluting waste going into the sea is less than it was, many of the substances are more harmful, so on balance I don't see much improvement over the years

As to natural fibres being shed, that is also true, but they will break down much quicker in the sea or inside fish etc and so are much less of a problem, that said, some fibres are treated with nano particles (silver) and though not yet banned, I see those becoming a problem in the future, so please avoid buying products treated with nano particles.

I think this is a problem that is hard if not impossible to fix from the 'end user' point, that's you, me and the rest of the world. It needs to be addressed by our democratically elected representatives (Oh Dear) A few e mails or letters to your MP and anybody else you can think of, clothing manufacturers, retailers and so on. That might feel like its pointless but I have set aside a boring half hour to do this today and the next time I remember I shall do it again, and again .....and so on. It might not be much but whenever I do something 'good' I feel I have earned a chocolate biscuit!