Symbolic paint design?

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Pigs ears are sold for dogs, but perhaps not for @Sea Dogs.

My boat is a semi-trad. I think these look a bit naff with wooden panels on the insides of the rear doors and being outside in all weathers, the wood soon deteriorates. I did mouse/pig ears on the outsides of the doors, then repeated the pattern on the inside, so with the doors open, they continue from the rear bulkhead. The pattern is carried on to the control pedestal on one side and the inside of the rear bulkhead on the other. Not traditional, but I think it looks alright.

Oooh, how clever :)

• 2 years later...
On 18/06/2019 at 07:14, Stephen Jeavons said:

Is there any symbolic meaning to the yellow spot design painted on many narrow boats (mine included)? 

Some also have a sliver of yellow on the curve on the right. Just wondering. (We did it cos it looks nice).

801058481_bowpaintwork.JPG.2c54a011209e273e998920b9b61ec071.JPG

I was told that the crescent and full orb represent the sun and the moon because the working boats worked night and day. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Maritime Fox said:

I was told that the crescent and full orb represent the sun and the moon because the working boats worked night and day. 

Never heard of that. I suspect that most of the decorative symbols on old working boats was inherited and modified from horse drawn carts and Romany caravans. Traditional scrollwork certainly appeared on many well turned out horse drawn carts.

Edited by David Schweizer

10 hours ago, Maritime Fox said:

I have always thought of them as the sun and moon as well

• Greenie 1