Narrowboat depreciation due to diesel's future

piedaterre

Featured Posts

Condoms are a very good means of storage for water, taking little room prior to filling. After using for water containers they can be made into very effective catapults.
A lot of people carry them in survival kits for which they have various uses. A guy on our marina used some to do a temp. repair on an engine hose. 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Condoms are a very good means of storage for water, taking little room prior to filling. After using for water containers they can be made into very effective catapults.
A lot of people carry them in survival kits for which they have various uses. A guy on our marina used some to do a temp. repair on an engine hose. 

But make sure you get the non-lubricated, non-flavoured ones or the water tastes a bit 'naff'.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Yes .

My boat has quite a nice shower – maybe not a huge shower room but just sufficient.

It also has a sink in the galley for washing the pots.

I don’t think that is unusual.

softy !!  :P

old boaters never die - they just smell that way.

yours truly,

A.N.Oldboater.

Edited by Murflynn

On 18/06/2019 at 09:02, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've clearly never done a remortgage. They ALWAYS ask. 

When I was following the BTL thing it was a recurring subject discussion, what you could and could not put on the remortgage form in order to get your application accepted. Putting "borrowing to raise a deposit for next house" generally got you a rejection, but lying was a no-no too. The beautifully loose and whoolly term "for further investment" was acceptable to Mortgage Express..... I think it allowed them to assume you were buying equities or something.

‘Home improvements’ is usually a winner. 

Edited by WotEver

57 minutes ago, WotEver said:

‘Home improvements’ is usually a winner. 

And also an outright lie, assuming it is to raise a deposit on a mortgage to buy another house.

The point is to obfuscate on the form without actually lying. 

On 19/06/2019 at 14:47, catweasel said:

Do you think they will ever make them biodegradable, they lay around for years after being discarded

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you think they will ever make them biodegradable, they lay around for years after being discarded

I'd be quite worried about them degrading while engaged in biological activities...

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2019 at 08:04, MartynG said:

If you intend to take out a bigger mortgage and use it to buy a boat I think that may not necessarily be accepted by the lenders. 

That is what I did. As long as the value of the property exceeded the amount of money owed they were happy. In fact they asked me if I was sure I was borrowing enough as the value of the house was double what I owed them.

19 minutes ago, BrumSaint said:

That is what I did. As long as the value of the property exceeded the amount of money owed they were happy. In fact they asked me if I was sure I was borrowing enough as the value of the house was double what I owed them.

Next door just remortgaged at 1.5% for 5 years. 

30 minutes ago, BrumSaint said:

I stand corrected ...but surprised.

15 hours ago, MartynG said:

I stand corrected ...but surprised.

Why?

Provided you pay them back the money they don't care what you use it for.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Next door just remortgaged at 1.5% for 5 years. 

Yes. There are some cracking mortgage deals around at the minute.

Fingers crossed there are still some in a couple of years time when we need to remortgage. Didn't get such a great rate compared to some on the market this time around as we bought a new build!

Edited by Naughty Cal

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Provided you pay them back the money they don't care what you use it for.

Didn't get such a great rate compared to some on the market this time around as we bought a new build!

If they dont care what you spend the money on why  did it make a difference to the deal because you bought a new build house?

19 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If they dont care what you spend the money on why  did it make a difference to the deal because you bought a new build house?

Because of the deals available at the time on new build homes. Most lenders have different criteria for new builds over existing property. 

It wont be classed as new build next time so when we remortgage we will get a better deal.

I dont know why they class new build differently but they do.

If we were to borrow more money against the property when we remortgage (which we have no intention to do we want it paid off ASAP!) the money could be spent however we wish despite Mike's complaints to the contrary.

Come on Mike. Where is you evidence that you cant spend the money unless the bank agrees? There must be loads of cases of people being prosecuted according to you for spending money they have borrowed. 

15 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If we were to borrow more money against the property when we remortgage (which we have no intention to do we want it paid off ASAP!) the money could be spent however we wish despite Mike's complaints to the contrary.

Well if you can get it at 1.5% then you can invest it and get more back