Narrowboat depreciation due to diesel's future

piedaterre

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

When I was 15 I had a saturday job as a drivers mate doing door to door deliveries of soft drinks in Brum and there was a deposit on every bottle, we collected the old bottles and took the money off the bill for the new ones.

Corona delivered "pop" door to door, Davenports delivered the beer.

...............Dave

I remember Corona . 

The bottles used to get worn from the bottling plant.

It was normal in those days.

My grandmother used to let us take the bottles back and we bought sweets with the  money.

If you had said ,back then,that people would buy still water in bottles they would have laughed. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As 14 year olds, we noticed the back yard of the off licence was full of crates of 'deposit' bottles so we grabbed one and took it back in through the front door of the shop and to our amazement got 'our' money back on the empties! 

20 mins later, rinse and repeat. More money. Amazing!  Third time around though, we were challenged so we ran for it. This was the only time I've ever been actually physically chased up a high street by an angry shopkeeper.....

We were at Trowbridge festival many years ago when they tried putting a small deposit on the plastic beer glasses. It was too small so many people just dropped them or binned them. A few enterprising kids were making good money by collecting them and taking them back to the bar, but after a couple of hours the bar refused to pay out on empties but would only refill them with beer. I reckon they saw the deposit as a way just to charge a few extra pence on every pint.

................Dave

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I remember Corona . 

My grandmother used to let us take the bottles back and we bought sweets with the  money.

If you had said ,back then,that people would buy still water in bottles they would have laughed. 

When I was at my Granny's in Scotland it was Bon Accord that we got our fizzy juice from, they also came round with their very distinctive lorries. You only got them in Scotland. They stopped trading for a while but I see they're back on the go and have returned with what is some rather posh pop. 

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Glass bottles are good. 

A colleague is German. He says they re-use beer bottles in Germany. You just trade in the crate of empty bottles when you buy a fresh crate.

What a good idea.

Same in Holland with the grolsh bottles or it used to be

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

Glass bottles are good. 

A colleague is German. He says they re-use beer bottles in Germany. You just trade in the crate of empty bottles when you buy a fresh crate.

What a good idea.

I remember buying a litre bottle of wine at a motor camp in Italy in the mid seventies. The refundable deposit on the bottle was more then the cost of the contents. After a shared  litre of the contents, I can't remember the taste, but I can remember the effect.

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

I remember Corona . 

Not sure why people buy bottled water. Most places if you take a refillable water bottle will fill it up for you if you ask.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not sure why people buy bottled water. Most places if you take a refillable water bottle will fill it up for you if you ask.

We use 5 litre bottles on the boat which we refill from a tap ( we dont wish to drink tank water).

Plenty of people do buy bottled water. Sometimes it is convenient but a past generation would not.

Carrying a refillable bottle is becoming popular and is a good way to cut down on plastic.

Just now, MartynG said:

We use 5 litre bottles on the boat which we refill from a tap ( we dont wish to drink tank water).

Plenty of people do buy bottled water. Sometimes it is convenient but a past generation would not.

Carrying a refillable bottle is becoming popular and is a good way to cut down on plastic.

If your water tank and system are clean there is really no reason why you can't drink the tap water that you put into the tank. It is the same tap water that you are putting into a single use plastic bottle that is not designed to be refilled!

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If your water tank and system are clean there is really no reason why you can't drink the tap water that you put into the tank. It is the same tap water that you are putting into a single use plastic bottle that is not designed to be refilled!

We drank the water from the stainless steel boat tank for years, Didn't miss the plasticisor residues from bottled water

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's a matter of personal choice. 

The tank water may have been in there a couple of weeks.  The refillable bottle water is replenished from a tap daily.

That's a big "if" and is the reason we try to refill the drinking water container every day, too.

1 hour ago, DandV said:

We drank the water from the stainless steel boat tank for years, Didn't miss the plasticisor residues from bottled water

What's the answer if you have an integral tank rather than stainless steel?

For the first two of our four years (so far) we just used water (boiled) from the tank. Then I repainted it and thought about the possible contamination from the paint which used to be sold as potable but isn't any more.

Now we use water from the tank for washing and washing up. For drinking and cooking we refill containers at the water point (particularly easy in the marina as it's about 2 feet from the boat). The containers are a 10 litre plastic tank with a tap plus a supply of 4 pint plastic milk bottles. I mark these with the date I started using them so that they can be replaced on a regular basis and then put into the recycling bin at home.

No extra plastic gets used as I bought them for the milk anyway, all of it ends up in the recycling bin as I take them home when they've had their turn as water containers and all get replaced reasonably frequently.

52 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's a big "if" and is the reason we try to refill the drinking water container every day, too.

I reckon me and the missus should be dead by now. Eight boats of various ages and tank types and we always drink straight from the tank. Bottled water was a very clever idea by some millionaire to make him a billionaire. Good idea in some Johnny Foreigner countries but a con in the UK innitt. On some occasions swmbo has been known to use a filter jug for her tea. The watter here is awesome, superb, much better than mains as its from a private bore hole and taint free.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

What's the answer if you have an integral tank rather than stainless steel?

All the rusty guck in the bottom of you integral steel tank is little different from the rusty guck in the cast iron pipes the mains water comes through.

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

All the rusty guck in the bottom of you integral steel tank is little different from the rusty guck in the cast iron pipes the mains water comes through.

Quite right. Alan Fincher says he drinks the water from his boat tank and it's done him no harm, has it!

:giggles:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It's not the rust that concerns me, it's the toxins that might leach out from the paint.

Anyway, I don't worry about it too much. I hedge my bets by using fresh water for drinking when it's available (most of the time) and use water from the tank for cooking if the fresh water is getting a bit low.

We usually use a water filter jug (only because one was left on the boat with loads of filters) for water going into the kettle. It helps reduce limescale in the kettle and the cups seem to get far less scummy after several refills than they would otherwise.

It's a matter of personal choice. 

The tank water may have been in there a couple of weeks.  The refillable bottle water is replenished from a tap daily.

Drain it and refill with fresh.

Our tank sat with watering it for five months while we were ashore. We have drained it all off, flushed it through, refilled it and it is good to go again.

49 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I reckon me and the missus should be dead by now. Eight boats of various ages and tank types and we always drink straight from the tank.

To be fair, Tim, with the borehole source you have good quality to start with, and as liveaboards you will have a much faster throughput of water, The water at our marine is OK but not as good as it is in Manchester (nice and soft, makes good tea) but it sits in the tank undisturbed for long periods.

32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It isn't difficult to clean the tank and system.

Maybe not in your yogurt pot, but it is a major task in our narrowboat -- one which I will be taking on once I am fully retired. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Drain it and refill with fresh.

Our tank sat with watering it for five months while we were ashore. We have drained it all off, flushed it through, refilled it and it is good to go again.

The tank and pipework always gets a flush in the spring. 

We prefer not to drink or cook with  tank water but would do so if necessary . Using refillable 5 litre bottles is really not a problem for us. Most places we stop there is a mains supply available within a short walk. 

We have done this since we bought our first boat and will not be changing our habits.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

To be fair, Tim, with the borehole source you have good quality to start with, and as liveaboards you will have a much faster throughput of water, The water at our marine is OK but not as good as it is in Manchester (nice and soft, makes good tea) but it sits in the tank undisturbed for long periods.

Maybe not in your yogurt pot, but it is a major task in our narrowboat -- one which I will be taking on once I am fully retired. 

Why not drain it off before you leave?

Fresh water in the tank the next time you visit.

The tank and pipework always gets a flush in the spring. 

We prefer not to drink or cook with  tank water but would do so if necessary . Using refillable 5 litre bottles is really not a problem for us. Most places we stop there is a mains supply available within a short walk. 

We have done this since we bought our first boat and will not be changing our habits.

May as well save yourself a lot of space and get rid of the water tank completely. :rolleyes:

May as well save yourself a lot of space and get rid of the water tank completely. :rolleyes:

We use the tank water for things other than drinking and cooking.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey, a boater who washes!!

Yes .

My boat has quite a nice shower – maybe not a huge shower room but just sufficient.

It also has a sink in the galley for washing the pots.

I don’t think that is unusual.