End of garden agreement

jpmcq

Featured Posts

I recall one end-of-garden moorer some years ago saying he gave up his mooring every time the boat left, and became a CCer until the boat returned home, when he resumed his EOG home mooring.  That way he only paid for the mooring when the boat was actually moored there. No idea if CRT will still let you do that.

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Is ANY French bureaucracy? From my experience of it (more limited than yours, I'm sure) it is designed to keep the maximum number of what used to be called "petits fonctionnaires" in work pushing pens, or I suppose computer keys nowadays.

Fonctionnaire is a great word. My youngest brother used to work at the EU in Brussels and when I asked him one day what his job was, his memorably precise answer was: I’m a fonctionnaire, I don’t have a job, I fulfill a function. 

For all those EU baskets out there, he was joking and having fun at the expense of the French language.

About the French bureaucracy as we find it: yes it can be complicated, but as long as you have the right papers, and can speak enough French then most times it is easy. The most noticeable thing is that the fonctionnaires all seem to really know what they are doing.

Oh, and it is vital to ask the right questions.

Our local Notaire is very efficient and has a sense of humour too, which helps, but like any good lawyer, she has a need to be precise, not to say picky, about details.

On 27/06/2019 at 09:56, David Mack said:

I recall one end-of-garden moorer some years ago saying he gave up his mooring every time the boat left, and became a CCer until the boat returned home, when he resumed his EOG home mooring.  That way he only paid for the mooring when the boat was actually moored there. No idea if CRT will still let you do that.

That might have been me!

I was on an offside mooring (similar rules to EOG) I used to cancel my BW permit in March get a refund and apply for a new permit in October as they wouldn't give me a 6 month permit. I did it for about 5 years, still had to pay the landowner to keep the mooring but saved the BW bit for 6 months a year.

On 17/06/2019 at 22:33, jpmcq said:

Hi

I am in the process of buying a house that backs onto the Leeds/Liverpool canal (Maghull area of Liverpool) and I am looking for info regarding the strip of land that the CART owns between the garden & the canal (I have checked the land registry & the garden boundary ends about 1m from the canal).

I have read a lot of information regarding having to pay a mooring fee if I want to have a boat at the end of the garden, this seems clear, apart from the fact that I'm not sure if I would receive the 50% discount as I don't own the land up to the canal?

However, I have also been given the impression (by the solicitor & current home owner) that I may be expected to pay a 'tenancy fee' (or end of garden agreement fee) to incorporate this strip of land into my garden, regardless of whether or not I have a boat.  The current home owner has said that they stopped paying this fee around 8 years ago & there is very little mention of it on the internet (I have only managed to find one thread about it on this forum & that was from 2007 I think), so it makes me wonder if this is something that people are not aware of or paying?

Do check that the canal is still its original width. IIRC a homeowner some time ago successfully argued that the ransom strip was at the bottom of the canal due to it being eroded away along with part of their land.

On 29/06/2019 at 17:45, ditchdabbler said:

Do check that the canal is still its original width. IIRC a homeowner some time ago successfully argued that the ransom strip was at the bottom of the canal due to it being eroded away along with part of their land.

So could he therefore moor his boat for free as it’s sitting on his land?

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

So could he therefore moor his boat for free as it’s sitting on his land?

Wouldn't that depend on how the boundary is defined? 

Also, if you can fit the boat totally within your "land", CRT would be free to come along and restore the bank just beyond it, by putting some piling in, trapping your boat in its own little just-over-boat-sized pond. Didn't this actually happen once (or more) when someone tried to be a smartarse and didn't pay the EOG fee?

20 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Wouldn't that depend on how the boundary is defined? 

Also, if you can fit the boat totally within your "land", CRT would be free to come along and restore the bank just beyond it, by putting some piling in, trapping your boat in its own little just-over-boat-sized pond. Didn't this actually happen once (or more) when someone tried to be a smartarse and didn't pay the EOG fee?

Fair points well made :)