Cheshire ring from Middlewich

Featured Posts

As your 1st day is only likely to be 3-4 hours cruising after picking up your boat in the afternoon, which direction has the best overnight stop 4hrs away? And your last night will need to be very close to your hire base, where will you moor (which pub)? This should lean you in one direction or another the rest is https://canalplan.org.uk/

If you go to canalplan.eu ==> plan a journey ==> load/save and enter key 10405 this will load our planned Cheshire Ring trip (anticlockwise from Anderton) for later this year, this will give you some idea of what's possible.

Anti clockwise, first night stop at Wheelock. clockwise first night stop at Anderton or the Salt Barge. My preference would be anti clockwise. Coming down the Ashton taking water with you, also if you are running late you can have a long day motoring along the Bridgewater or T&M. Don't forget to take your time going up Cheshire locks, they can throw the boat about a bit until you work them out.

Personally I would rather go up the Cheshire Locks and down the Ashton/Rochdale Nine.  Get to the top of the Ashton flight early and be in Castlefield for a late lunch. Or at least that was ok a few years ago; I understand Castlefield is not what it was.