Proof of boat ownership

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Wonderful world this where a prosecuting authority has discretion regarding their powers. In reality is it fear of a costly court room battle, the lack of staff to follow the process through or simply a lack of interest? Wherever rules exist these days, there seems to be a general belief that avoidance is rarely penalised. The CRT code is a case in point, how many choose to observe the rules.

There may be a general belief.  It's not true though.  Ask any police constable.  Using common sense and discretion is an every day part of the job.  In the case of displaying your boat name (or your paper licence for that matter), what would be the point of prosecuting?  If the checker can see the index number and check that it's licenced, their job is done.  Why would anyone want to add complication to that?

Roving winter permits are a very different matter though.  They came across like a protection racket: "pay up and we'll leave you alone". 

Having said that I've alway been puzzled by CRT winter moorings generally.  To my mind they walk the tightrope of what is said in the 1995 Waterways Act, specifically in regards to the phrase "The Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left".  Essentially, CRT grant a winter mooring, thereby providing a short term place for the vessel to be kept".  This is CRT acting as poacher and gamekeeper and doesn't sit easily with the intention of the legislation.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Wonderful world this where a prosecuting authority has discretion regarding their powers. In reality is it fear of a costly court room battle, the lack of staff to follow the process through or simply a lack of interest? Wherever rules exist these days, there seems to be a general belief that avoidance is rarely penalised. The CRT code is a case in point, how many choose to observe the rules.

As I said perfectly acceptable if boaters agree but if they find it a problem listen for the howls of anguish.  Posts seem to confirm my assertion and a number seem to agree with me.

On 17/06/2019 at 19:29, Steve Manc said:

A boater  mentioned because my narrowboat has no name displayed on it how can I prove I own it!

Now I'm curious, how does having a name painted on the boat prove ownership?

I had to chuckle reading this thread, I am just sorting through the box file full of paperwork that we will pass on to the next owner of our boat when they take ownership and find it has every reciept for EVERYTHING that has ever been bought in it's 15½ years of life.

The name has changed 3 times and there is a paper trail to prove when that was done, the original bill of sale for both us and the previous owner (he had it 6 months) Every BSS and licence renewal form and all the recipts for moorings etc.

I don't think we will have a problem proving we own the boat but having been involved with buying and selling cars for years I know how valuable a stack of paperwork with a car can be and so have always kept everything. These days it could be possible to scan it all and keep it on a cloud somewhere but you can't beat a hard copy in my mind

Having a name, or number/name, is a means of identification. It helps where issues arise. Imagine a fisherman on the bank as a boat come past at speed and drags the rod away. that fisherman might want to find out who was steering at the time. In another instance a boater passes another unmanned moored boat and notices that it had been vandalised. A name would assist with finding the owner.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Imagine a fisherman on the bank as a boat come past at speed and drags the rod away. that fisherman might want to find out who was steering at the time

Presumably to apologise for not getting his tackle 'pulled in' in time, and to offer to pay for any damage caused to the seals by his line getting wrapped around the shaft / drive

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 hours ago, jam said:

Now I'm curious, how does having a name painted on the boat prove ownership?

But is he displaying his licence? The boats that I've seen with the name painted out and displaying no license have been continues moorers.

5 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Regarding displaying the name of the boat. It's my understanding that the Thames Authority require all vessels to display the Name and Reg' number clearly on the vessel.

If he is displaying his licence then it will have the boat name and number on, but is he? Or has he something to hide?

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

How do know they are the same boats?

Agree but why would you paint over your name and not display it? As I said, what I've seen with boats like this, they tend not to move for a while and are often a pain in the side for CaRT.