Tiller replace

Featured Posts

Im looking to replace the old tiller which was on the boat. Excuse my lack of knowledge on the terms and names of parts here, but the arm seems lack a bit of a hack on my current one. So would look to buy a nice swan neck style arm, or have one made up.

I have a pic attached below, which shows there is a sort of square stock at the 'connecting end'.. 

Other boats look round,

Anyway, please advise?

thanks

Graham

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

You won't find anything off the shelf. But any competent boatbuilder will be able to make up a traditional swan neck to fit this. Might need to grind the square on the rudder shaft to a tapered square  (like a paddle spindle), and drill a tapped hole down the middle to bolt the new swan neck down.

It was built in a school in Nottingham late 70s I believe.

There's a metal fabricator on site here I'll ask him to make one.

but would it be similar joining technique where a piece of box section fits over top,

or or should it be more in keeping with the modern design where it's sort of a round cast section which bolts around the tiller on deck?

5 minutes ago, Charles_Graham said:

It was built in a school in Nottingham late 70s I believe.

There's a metal fabricator on site here I'll ask him to make one.

but would it be similar joining technique where a piece of box section fits over top,

or or should it be more in keeping with the modern design where it's sort of a round cast section which bolts around the tiller on deck?

Up to you really. What do you fancy?

Richard

If the rudder works OK I  would be tempted to keep the existing connection but weld a circular bit - an offcut of appropriate size pipe would do - round it so it looks more as you seem to want it.  

Your new swan neck would then attach to this which would keep the costs down.

If the existing bits are not very good then replace the lot with the more usual arrangement. 

It wasn't really an aesthetic look I was after - more the correct connection 

I wasn't sure if this was just bolted on as an after thought,

It does feel a bit gritty in the bearing when its turned, is this a big deal to change over?

Your tiller arrangement looks to rely on the two locking screws to keep the swan neck rigidly fixed to the rudder stock. My guess is that this is not very reliable, and hence the tiller may be a bit 'floppy'. As I noted earlier the usual way is for the swan neck to be held on a taper, although I have also seen split circular collars clamped onto the rudder stock.

On 17/06/2019 at 20:45, David Mack said:

Your tiller arrangement looks to rely on the two locking screws to keep the swan neck rigidly fixed to the rudder stock. My guess is that this is not very reliable, and hence the tiller may be a bit 'floppy'. As I noted earlier the usual way is for the swan neck to be held on a taper, although I have also seen split circular collars clamped onto the rudder stock.

Dave is my current set up adaptable, as in can I get spare tillers to fit this? 

Or or am I going to have to replace the whole lot do you think?