All 3 Pennine Crossing Closed again

Midnight

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

But matty40s said the Rochdale's shut for a couple of weeks. I suppose two out of three ain't bad.

Tannersfield Highest Lock (Lock 66) has already been closed since 7th June.  The broken gate was not craned away to be taken for repair until 10 days later, and the quoin stone is also smashed, so that will need repair or replacing as well.

CRT are not even offering to give any update before 1st July.  My gut feel is (even from now) "a couple of weeks" sounds pretty optimistic.

It is also currently shut down towards Sowerby Bridge as well, so currently no way out either way, even if you have a boat short enough for the Calder and Hebble.

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

All that effort to have the Huddersfield  and Rochdale restored and now it is a challenge to have the canals kept open. 

Both restored on a shoestring budget and now it shows.

4 hours ago, Peter X said:

Please pardon my poor knowledge of the northern canals, not a part of the system I usually keep tabs on, but I'm contemplating attempting the HNC next week with Lingy. So is my understanding right here please?

(1) CRT are saying that this guillotine at lock 24 is fixed:

18/06/2019 19:39

Repairs have now been completed. The lock is available for normal operations

(2) There was also a tree down between locks 25 and 26 but that's fixed too:

18/06/2019 15:45

The fallen tree has now been removed and the navigation is open.

So the HNC has actually just reopened for navigation? For the next few minutes at least? Can our man on the spot larrysanders confirm this please, it's a Very Long Way from Croydon.

And Burnley's on the Leeds and Liverpool, so that was closed but is now open too?

But matty40s said the Rochdale's shut for a couple of weeks. I suppose two out of three ain't bad.

No matter what CaRT say today, tomorrow is another problem around these parts. As long as you are not on a tight deadline it's usually (?) possible to cruise the Pennine canals without too much trouble. Moored on the Calder Navigation is always a challenge, but we have managed to get through many more times than not. The Rochdale will be closed for a few weeks while they fix lock 66 but unless something major happens elsewhere you should be okay. All three canals are worth a punt if you've not done them before. Rochdale summit is spectacular, Standedge Tunnel is an amazing experience and the L&L above and around Skipton is in some of the most beautiful surroundings in the country. We're off on a 3 week cruise mid July so like you we are checking the notices and keeping an ear to the ground.

We will be sort of on a deadline because Lingy wants to get his boat moved down to the Coventry, and I would rather not be away from home for the length of time that a longer sightseeing route like the L&L would take. I've suggested to him that we allow maybe 10 days or so for what canalplan says is 80.5 hours of boating, which is taking it easy compared to some boat trips I've done, and should give us the spare time to cope with minor delays.

Of these three routes over the Pennines all I've done before is a little bit at the eastern end of the Rochdale, so I'm looking forward to doing the HNC and the famous Standedge tunnel.

Don't forget to check the profile of the boat to make sure it fits through the tunnel.  And book the tunnel - you can do it online now.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/standedge-tunnel-and-visitor-centre/boating-through-standedge-tunnel

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
To add the link.

11 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

The Chesterfield is open for business is people are hankering after a beautiful northern canal

No good if you can't get to it because other canals are closed!

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

No good if you can't get to it because other canals are closed!

Yes I know and I feel for you BIG time. The situation you have found yourself in is just pants to be honest.

It is at times like these when you start to realise the appeal of a trailboat

As a Londoner I feel like a neutral in this whole Yorkshire/Lancashire thing, so I shall try to keep out of the argument when I'm up there.

Having seen photos of Lingy's boat, it looks like a pretty standard modern narrow boat with some tumblehome and not much on the roof, so ought to fit through all but the tightest tunnels I suppose.

Part of the problem is caused because they don't mend a broken paddle until both paddles are broken. Rochdale Canal  Brearley lock 6 is an example of this. There has been a bag over one paddle gear at lock 15 for at least 6 months. So the other fails, canal closed! 

22 hours ago, Peter X said:

As a Londoner I feel like a neutral in this whole Yorkshire/Lancashire thing, so I shall try to keep out of the argument when I'm up there.

Having seen photos of Lingy's boat, it looks like a pretty standard modern narrow boat with some tumblehome and not much on the roof, so ought to fit through all but the tightest tunnels I suppose.

You can tell by the towpath which side of the border you are, you will see 2 parallel lines on the Eastern side, from locals dragging their knuckles. They stop about 50m from my mooring on the sunny side, where the border is. I meet them and teach them to walk upright. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Part of the problem is caused because they don't mend a broken paddle until both paddles are broken. Rochdale Canal  Brearley lock 6 is an example of this. There has been a bag over one paddle gear at lock 15 for at least 6 months. So the other fails, canal closed! 

...and let me guess they only mended one

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

There's a number of paddles and gear inoperable on the Hillmorton Flight. 

Probably due to spares shortages, most of the gear on the flight is not common and it is the most heavily used flight in the country.

If you know that, I presume CRT know that. Then the question has to asked, why are there not spares being made and put in stock. Not masses amounts, but some woukd ge heplful. 

Its not a big deal, but slows your progress somewhat. Just a shame there's no forward planning and foresight.

On 18/06/2019 at 20:00, Peter X said:

Please pardon my poor knowledge of the northern canals, not a part of the system I usually keep tabs on, but I'm contemplating attempting the HNC next week with Lingy. So is my understanding right here please?

(1) CRT are saying that this guillotine at lock 24 is fixed:

18/06/2019 19:39

Repairs have now been completed. The lock is available for normal operations

(2) There was also a tree down between locks 25 and 26 but that's fixed too:

18/06/2019 15:45

The fallen tree has now been removed and the navigation is open.

So the HNC has actually just reopened for navigation? For the next few minutes at least? Can our man on the spot larrysanders confirm this please, it's a Very Long Way from Croydon.

And Burnley's on the Leeds and Liverpool, so that was closed but is now open too?

the tree has been removed and the guillotine lock is fixed.  been through it today