Leaving a boat in Lancaster

Grassman

Featured Posts

Next month we are going on the Lancaster Canal. We are hiring a car for a few days and are looking for somewhere safe to leave our boat in the daytime in Lancaster and where there is parking for the car overnight.

I've seen on Google Earth/Streetview what looks to be an ideal place on the southern outskirts of Lancaster where the canal runs adjacent to Aldcliffe Rd. There seems to be a lot of mooring space and room to park the car at the roadside. Does anybody know if there are mooring rings here, or the means of attaching a chain or 'nappy pins'? From the photo in the link (below) it doesn't appear so and with leaving the boat unattended all day I'd be a bit worried about tying up on mooring pins? I appreciate there isn't a lot of passing boat traffic but it only takes one idiot going past too fast.

This photo shows a cabin cruiser moored on pins but a bit further back on the bend there appears to be armco.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0376745,-2.8114974,3a,60y,42.83h,85.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOFojR9suaNLGRpxRthTITw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Or, is there anywhere else in Lancaster? Do the visitor moorings have car parking nearby? It has to be Lancaster because of it's proximity to the car hire company. 

Thanks.

That's not a good spot to moor. I would either stay on the Lancaster 7 day VMs and park in one of the pay and display car parks in town overnight (all around the VMs is residents' parking only), or moor at Galgate or Hest Bank where you can park the car for free with only a short bus ride into Lancaster (excellent service) to pick up/drop off the car at the rental site.

Edited by rgreg

Thanks for your advice boys. 

All three suggestions would suit and all are within range of the hire car company bringing the car to me which would save the hassle of a bus into Lancaster. It's also good that I will have the time to suss them out before the date I'm hiring the car.