New name, new look

magictime

Featured Posts

Just returned to the boat today after its week in Stafford Boat Club wet dock, where Robert Naghi has been painting it. 'Ferndale' is now 'Forever Changes'. Very pleased with the results, although it certainly won't be to everyone's taste!

20190616_164358.jpg.847497fc6a5872706facae3a23f3c382.jpg20190616_163545.jpg.7cb91d378bfe100ef7ae88252de84b66.jpg20190616_164100.jpg.22cbd78dcc723e4569af7e3444ae4787.jpg

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend Robert as a painter. We tried to be realistic about what we could reasonably expect him to do in a week, but when he came to start work he was volunteering all sorts of little and not-so-little touches like bits of paisley, a design on the roof hatch, painting the poles & gangplank, to make sure we really got the look we wanted - all within the basic price he'd quoted to paint our 55ft boat, which was a little under £3000.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, magictime said:

Just returned to the boat today after its week in Stafford Boat Club wet dock, where Robert Naghi has been painting it. 'Ferndale' is now 'Forever Changes'. Very pleased with the results, although it certainly won't be to everyone's taste!

20190616_164358.jpg.847497fc6a5872706facae3a23f3c382.jpg20190616_163545.jpg.7cb91d378bfe100ef7ae88252de84b66.jpg20190616_164100.jpg.22cbd78dcc723e4569af7e3444ae4787.jpg

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend Robert as a painter. We tried to be realistic about what we could reasonably expect him to do in a week, but when he came to start work he was volunteering all sorts of little and not-so-little touches like bits of paisley, a design on the roof hatch, painting the poles & gangplank, to make sure we really got the look we wanted - all within the basic price he'd quoted to paint our 55ft boat, which was a little under £3000.

Amazing!! 

Not to my taste for a NB but breathtakingly wonderful work. I'm very impressed.

You do get what you pay for. In a week, that is brilliant, and you have someone who has changed your boat forever.

However, with a weeks time, like my 9 days for my own 70 footer last year, you get what you paid for......you have managed extra with the wonderful signwriting and patterns.

No rust will have been dealt with properly, windows and mushrooms will probably not have been removed, and your roof, if some non slip, will probably need redoing within 2 years.

Saying that, Robert is very good at what he does, I would not work under some of the conditions he agrees to, but your boat will look fab for quite a few years to come

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

You do get what you pay for. In a week, that is brilliant, and you have someone who has changed your boat forever.

However, with a weeks time, like my 9 days for my own 70 footer last year, you get what you paid for......you have managed extra with the wonderful signwriting and patterns.

No rust will have been dealt with properly, windows and mushrooms will probably not have been removed, and your roof, if some non slip, will probably need redoing within 2 years.

Saying that, Robert is very good at what he does, I would not work under some of the conditions he agrees to, but your boat will look fab for quite a few years to come

I appreciate that it's not equivalent to a 'bare metal' job, and we've had to leave it to Robert to judge what's adequate in terms of rust treatment etc. At the end of the day we thought a bare-metal repaint costing 3 or 4 times as much would have been overkill for a boat that is 'only' 15 years old and with existing paintwork in very fair condition; the money we saved has probably paid for zinc spraying and epoxy blacking an the hull plus new double glazing throughout (the fitting of which itself included treatment/glossing of any rusty areas round the window openings).

Robert acknowledged himself that the roof will be the first to go, and left us most of a tin of Dacrylate for when it's needed. For now it's had 5 coats and sanded areas, so we'll see how it goes.

Just to be clear, when you talk about the conditions Robert 'agrees' to work under, those conditions have been 100% dictated by himself: we booked his first-choice facility for as long as he said he needed it, plus an extra day just in case. If he'd asked for two weeks, that would have been fine by us.

• Greenie 1

You must Love Forever Changes.:D

Robert also painted and sign-wrote 'Trojan' in 2006. His price was good, he did a good job and, as mentioned above, he suggested and implemented a few additions which did enhance the boat's appearance. One of his other specialities is fairground art, which perhaps explains his tendency towards bold, eye-catching designs.

He camped out in the boat while he was doing the work. He hadn't actually told us that he was intending to do so, but we didn't mind, as it meant that he was on site all day, rather than having to travel from his Nottingham home to Mel Davis' yard each day. Actually, so Mel's people told us, he slept out in one of Mel's farm fields the first night but discovered that, though it was summer, he got blooming cold, he had to be thawed out with hot drinks the next morning, so he then moved on board.

I'm sure I knew a Chef in the RN with the same name as Robert (Bob as it happens). This was in the seventies. Did this chef change tack upon leaving the mob, as we call it?

Edited by Nightwatch

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I hae ma doots; from what I remember of Robert Naghi, he would probably be only in his forties now.

Must have started young then as his website states he has been signwriting for the last 30 years.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

You must Love Forever Changes.:D

Indeed we do! I knew you'd spot that if no one else did.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I hae ma doots; from what I remember of Robert Naghi, he would probably be only in his forties now.

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Must have started young then as his website states he has been signwriting for the last 30 years.

He told us he's in his 60s actually, but he does look and seem younger.

1 hour ago, magictime said:

Really? When he painted our boat (2006) he seemed quite youthful, I would have guessed that he'd have been early '30s. This goes to show that I have never been much good at assessing people's ages [court told].

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Not the same bloke then? Thanks for that. I can stop thinking about that now then.

Could have been his father. It is far from being a common surname. 

On 17/06/2019 at 22:54, mark99 said:

Anyone remember 70s tv programme called Magpie?

Shot very close to Teddington Locks. My dad rescued a whole bunch of heavy duty wood chip paper from a skip at the studios which then decorated our lounge :)

Presented by Maggie Philbin iirc?

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Shot very close to Teddington Locks. My dad rescued a whole bunch of heavy duty wood chip paper from a skip at the studios which then decorated our lounge :)

Presented by Maggie Philbin iirc?

Yes it was ITV's answer to Blue Peter IIRC. Never quite as good but even as a small boy I used to find Maggie Philbin hotter than Valerie Singleton!

On 18/06/2019 at 08:50, Nightwatch said:

Not the same bloke then? Thanks for that. I can stop thinking about that now then.

Maybe not!

On 17/06/2019 at 13:15, magictime said:

45 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes it was ITV's answer to Blue Peter IIRC. Never quite as good but even as a small boy I used to find Maggie Philbin hotter than Valerie Singleton!

This is strange. On reading this thread a minute ago I too thought it was Maggie Philbin,  who indeed was fit!!  She is the same age as myself. However on googling it appears she was not in Magpie?!! Jenny Hanley however was in Magpie :)