Posting when not logged in

dor

Featured Posts

A couple of times recently I’ve posted a response on a thread when not logged in.  Going on to the site on an iPad, I didn’t realise I wasn’t logged in. Nevertheless it allowed me to post a reply, and gave all the impression that my post was registered.

However, when going back to the topic there was no sign of my post.

Surely if I’m not logged in, it shouldn’t let me post

12 minutes ago, dor said:

A couple of times recently I’ve posted a response on a thread when not logged in.  Going on to the site on an iPad, I didn’t realise I wasn’t logged in. Nevertheless it allowed me to post a reply, and gave all the impression that my post was registered.

However, when going back to the topic there was no sign of my post.

Surely if I’m not logged in, it shouldn’t let me post

Normal. This happened to me, but when I did log in and went to that thread and began to re-type, up came what I wrote when I wasn't logged in and sent that. Try it.

Well, I just tried it and was asked for my e-mail address, and given one of those CAPCHA tests.  It then said that the e-mail was in use by another member, but I could join the conversation and register later (I've not seen any evidence of this).

I then signed in anonymously to see if I could post, and I could, but with my identity revealed, as you can see.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I gave it a try and it wanted my email - I suspect that if I had entered my email which is linked to my account then the post would have shown as Tumshie. 

fullsizeoutput_ab4.jpeg

But hitting submit with out the email did nothing. 

Edited by Tumshie

35 minutes ago, dor said:

Nevertheless it allowed me to post a reply, and gave all the impression that my post was registered.

Did you enter the email address you have linked to your CWDF account in the box at the top?

Just tried with Mrs Mac's e-mail address.  After a very upfront screen inviting donations, it then presented the registration screen to be filled in before my post was made visible, with a promise to send reminders.  She's not going to be pleased with this.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

After a very upfront screen inviting donations,

I did have my suspicions when so many of the new members, some of which have only posted once or twice were showing up as patrons. :glare:

4 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

She's not going to be pleased with this.

A valiant sacrifice for a good cause...... till she finds out. :giggles:

I realized that I hadn't logged in after typing in the quote box and couldn't send it. I then logged in and went to the same thread and went to repeat what I'd typed in the quote box which is always there and up pops what I'd written when I wasn't logged in and sent that.       I repeat tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

I realized that I hadn't logged in after typing in the quote box and couldn't send it. I then logged in and went to the same thread and went to repeat what I'd typed in the quote box which is always there and up pops what I'd written when I wasn't logged in and sent that.       I repeat tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

?????

? Cookies ?

?????

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Did you enter the email address you have linked to your CWDF account in the box at the top?

What was odd was that it didn’t seem to ask for anything.  It was only after going back and found my post wasn’t there that I suspected anything.

However I was logged in on my PC on the same network; perhaps it linked in some way.

Just an irritation really, although I’m surprised it isn’t more obvious when going on to the site on an iPad when not logged in on that device.

I’ll have to try it again sometime when not logged in.

On 16/06/2019 at 20:32, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its probably another of those undocumented 'improvements' to the forum software we get with each new version upgrade. 

We don't have new features with every update, most updates include bug fixes.

However, the feature in question (i.e. guests being able to post) is referenced via a link in the topic below:

The link containing a full list of features will take you to this page which in turn mentions "4.4: Increase visitor registrations with Post Before Registering". This is the change in question. 

Rich