LIcense plate

HelenG

Featured Posts

Can someone please explain about license plates?
We bought our boat and it doesnt have any - is it a legal requirement? if so where do we get them from? how much are they and what number is it that we need to display? 
We had a crt number but have recently moved to the Bridgewater so have cancelled the CRT and are waiting for our Bridgewater registration - is this the number we need? 
Thank you

Yes 

It depends on the navigation authority which details need  to be displayed. Thames and other EA require a unique name (hence Kingfisher number 154 for example). CRT just require the 5 or 6 digit registration number and to display the licence in the window. Bridgewater boaters will be along shortly...

I didn't know different authorities had different requirements but it makes sense. Is there a common denominator that will give us access to all waterways? E.g.

Unique name, displayed on boat

CRT license plate

CRT license disc

Etc?

I think the first non-CRT waterway we will be visiting is the Middle Level Navigations / Navigable Drains.

You will not be able to use the CaRT registration number for a Bridgewater licence, and vice versa. You don't need to display a CaRT registration plate, but must display the number while on CaRT waters, with a CaRT licence. Having it painted on suffices. I assume the converse is true. 

When end we were last in the Thames, the visitor licence included a temporary registration number, which was stuck on the boat and thus displayed. 

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

I didn't know different authorities had different requirements but it makes sense. Is there a common denominator that will give us access to all waterways? E.g.

Unique name, displayed on boat

CRT license plate

CRT license disc

Etc?

I think the first non-CRT waterway we will be visiting is the Middle Level Navigations / Navigable Drains.

If you are passing through, what you have is fine.

If you are stopping permanently, then you need to have what the relevant NA issues.....it doesn't mean you have to have the boat repainted, it just means you have to display the relevant plate somewhere.

7 hours ago, HelenG said:

and is it a legal requirement?

Depends what you mean by 'legal requirement'...

If you don't register with the authority controlling whatever waterway you put your boat in, you are not going to be arrested by the police and prosecuted. 

You will however, be hassled and pursued (hopefully) to register your boat, get a safety certificate issued, insure it and buy a licence. And if you don't, ultimately your boat will be lifted out and handed back to you along with a very large bill.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

If you are passing through, what you have is fine.

If you are stopping permanently, then you need to have what the relevant NA issues.....it doesn't mean you have to have the boat repainted, it just means you have to display the relevant plate somewhere.

What constitutes "passing through"? I expect we will cruise in the area for 2-3 months or so. I have family in Norfolk so I'd like to get as close as possible to them for a visit - Peterborough, March, Downham Market, Kings Lynn. Then if possible south to Ely and Cambridge.

I am confused ? You mention having cancelled your CRT licence as you have moved to the Bridgewater and that you have applied for a licence there 

Then you mention wanting to cruise in the Norfolk area. 

To get there from the Bridgewater I think you need to be on CRT waters again but you have cancelled your licence. 

I think you might want find it helpful to have a look at the various Web sites for the waterway organisations you will be on and that will tell you what you need for each one. 

Haggis 

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am confused ? You mention having cancelled your CRT licence as you have moved to the Bridgewater and that you have applied for a licence there 

Then you mention wanting to cruise in the Norfolk area. 

To get there from the Bridgewater I think you need to be on CRT waters again but you have cancelled your licence. 

You do realise you are mixing up 2 different posters, don't you?

@HelenG is not @ivan&alice ...

Edited by TheBiscuits

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

What constitutes "passing through"? I expect we will cruise in the area for 2-3 months or so. I have family in Norfolk so I'd like to get as close as possible to them for a visit - Peterborough, March, Downham Market, Kings Lynn. Then if possible south to Ely and Cambridge.

The towns you list apart from Cambridge are not on CaRT waters. Cambridge is run by the Cam Commissioners and they issue an expensive short term license but I understand that its easy to stay on EA waters and get a bus to Cambridge.

I also understand that the Middle Level Commissioners are or soon will be requiring licensing.

A Gold license will cover you for CaRT and EA waters (Nene, Great Ouse & Thames) so that may work out the cheGreat Ouse.

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The towns you list apart from Cambridge are not on CaRT waters. Cambridge is run by the Cam Commissioners and they issue an expensive short term license but I understand that its easy to stay on EA waters and get a bus to Cambridge.

I also understand that the Middle Level Commissioners are or soon will be requiring licensing.

A Gold license will cover you for CaRT and EA waters (Nene, Great Ouse & Thames) so that may work out the cheGreat Ousewhat

What would you recommend for a license then if we were to do our 2/3 months on the EA waterways in the next month or two? It seems like upgrading to a gold license would be poor value given that we are already halfway through the year. Is there a short term license that would suit us better? The EA website seems to be part of gov.uk and I'm not sure where the licenses are described.

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

What would you recommend for a license then if we were to do our 2/3 months on the EA waterways in the next month or two? It seems like upgrading to a gold license would be poor value given that we are already halfway through the year. Is there a short term license that would suit us better? The EA website seems to be part of gov.uk and I'm not sure where the licenses are described.

I think you will get a prorata refund on your CaRT license but will loose 6 months of EA licensing. It all depends how much an EA Nene/Grt Ouse short term license costs and if one is available for the length of your stay on EA waters. I suspect there will not be a 2 to 3 month EA license. No idea about cost and length of EA licenses and also not sure if you are on CaRT waters or the Bridgewater.