welder - gasless

Featured Posts

Was thinking of equipping myself with a mig welder again, but without headache of gas bottle,

Anyone recommend which is better - a gas less flux core wire

or

Stick welder..

thanks

1 hour ago, Charles_Graham said:

Usual bits around a boat - 3mm angle, some solid bar, anodes to hull etc.. mild steel.

I was always told a stick welder is much better outside as with mig the gas shield blows away in slight a breeze.

I would get a genny friendly inverter stick welder, many of which can also do tig with the right add on bits.  Not sure why you would want tig for general boaty stuff though.

Added - I am not a good welder, but I have a small inverter stick welder and it does all I want.

Edited by Chewbacka

Another vote for stick welding but then I actually enjoy stick welding. :rolleyes:

One thing to note about flux core mig, it's a slightly different procedure to ordinary short circuit mig.  The nozzle of the welding gun needs to be held about 1/2" further from the workpiece than regular mig.  This is to give time for the correct reaction between the arc, the wire and the welding gasses of the flux core, to take place.

26 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Another vote for stick welding but then I actually enjoy stick welding. :rolleyes:

One thing to note about flux core mig, it's a slightly different procedure to ordinary short circuit mig.  The nozzle of the welding gun needs to be held about 1/2" further from the workpiece than regular mig.  This is to give time for the correct reaction between the arc, the wire and the welding gasses of the flux core, to take place.

A bit like aluminium stick welding, holding off with the rod which actually sprays molten ally on the job.

If I was weding in the shed I would like a mig, gasless or with gas as I could fiddle with the wire feed thingys and all the other stuff and get a good result but in the open I would lug out the old cheap Clarkes stick welder and if it fell in the cut I wouldn't be too upset. More difficult to get a good result but I usually manage to fix things together after a while.