Honda EU20i - End of Life?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Second hand in 2011, used lots in an offline situation, so it’s had a good run.

When I start it up it runs fine but, as soon as the battery charger, or lawn mower, starts drawing power, the revs drop and there is no 240v. Then the revs rise, the mower starts spinning, then the revs drop, and the mower stops. Hunting is a word that comes to mind, but it’s definitely related to the 240v thing starting up.

I hope that’s a fair description.

Im guessing it could be as simple as a blockage in the carburettor, but it could also be a problem with the inverter or, obviously, something else.

Ive been planning to send it to Pete Power in Norfolk for a full service, and a new pull cord but now it’s showing these symptoms, I wonder if I’m throwing good money after bad. The money saved, (3 hundred quid at least), may be better spent on a new one.

Any suggestions as to what it might be, or any other thoughts, welcomed.

41 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Second hand in 2011, used lots in an offline situation, so it’s had a good run.

When I start it up it runs fine but, as soon as the battery charger, or lawn mower, starts drawing power, the revs drop and there is no 240v. Then the revs rise, the mower starts spinning, then the revs drop, and the mower stops. Hunting is a word that comes to mind, but it’s definitely related to the 240v thing starting up.

I hope that’s a fair description.

Im guessing it could be as simple as a blockage in the carburettor, but it could also be a problem with the inverter or, obviously, something else.

Ive been planning to send it to Pete Power in Norfolk for a full service, and a new pull cord but now it’s showing these symptoms, I wonder if I’m throwing good money after bad. The money saved, (3 hundred quid at least), may be better spent on a new one.

Any suggestions as to what it might be, or any other thoughts, welcomed.

A Mate has an Honda inverter gen that started doing this,  turned out eventually to be a blocked exhaust silencer.

I would phone Pete at Pete Power and tell him the symptoms you are experiencing. He knows just about everything about the eu20i and I am sure he will give you an honest opinion. I would venture that whatever the problem is, isn't terminal and probably easily fixed.

Ken

2 hours ago, KJT said:

I would phone Pete at Pete Power and tell him the symptoms you are experiencing. He knows just about everything about the eu20i and I am sure he will give you an honest opinion. I would venture that whatever the problem is, isn't terminal and probably easily fixed.

Ken

Yes. I asked him for some advice on the oil sensor and the pull cord a year or so ago, and he gave me some good advice. I don’t like to abuse a free advice service unless there is a good chance I’ll be giving some money making work, hence my intention to send it to him for service and repair.

However, if it looks like a fairly simple repair, I’ll buy the double walled cardboard box and stump up the £60 or so return postage.

I ask here because there is usually someone who has had similar and, if it’s terminal, I won’t waste Petes time and my money :) 

I’ll probably email him my OP and see what he thinks.

many Thanks.