Sunroofs ?!

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

I haven't got one, I meant if anyone had a pet one. A bunch of nice spring greens on the bonnet for it to munch would keep its head down. Would apply to pet camels and lamas too.

Tie a leafy branch to the front bumper. Actually those days may have long gone. :huh:

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

My cat Satchidanander when sitting on my boats roof going along always ducks when passing under bridges even if its everso high and he doesn't need to.

psyching himself up for the inevitable cold drips of water. ?

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

My cat Satchidanander when sitting on my boats roof going along always ducks when passing under bridges even if its everso high and he doesn't need to.

Yeah well, bearing in mind his his owner's nutcase experiments, he's probably used up 10 of his 9 lives already! ? ?

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm pretty sure that I squeeze lemons on one of them ...

Yeah - we did that already ?

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Why has Jeff Wayne sprung to mind?

Close but no cig... cuddly toy. 

:D

11 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

So the first is like a Lewmar sailing hatch type thing ?

Surely there has to be a funky/modern/cool type of alternative ?

Even if you bonded a smoked glass panel in it would be an improvement ?

Hopefuly not.

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

The thing is....

'Wow, how cool would that be' ideas are hardly new here. And they invariably end badly. If you do this to a boat, take into account (of the top of my head) the structural strength you took out of the roof, the space you lost to fit solar panels, condensation, leaking, cold draughts, how vulnerable the panel is to being jumped on, bricks, boat hooks and poles, lack of privacy in built up areas/bridges...

Even that basic and very common Houdini hatch has problems, and I got fed up of being dripped on by a pigeon box on a boat the other day

Richard

One of my neighbour's has put in a couple of big hinged roof skylights and he's also putting in 6 big bolt-in cabin window hatches that he had made. I'm impressed with what he's done, I like to see different types of boat, but I've never seen anyone cut so much out of their boat and I did mention that it might affect the structural integrity of the hull. He says he's not going to be dealing with waves on tidal waters anyway, but getting the boat craned out or slipped puts quite a lot of stress on the hull and he's bound to be doing that at some point.

Edited by blackrose

12 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

they let in more light than you would think, brilliant idea, quite easy to seal so they don't leak, but thats irrelevant really because like all roof windows the condensation will get you

now that is funky

Make your own, grind off the bottom and fit a roof vent ring. Oh dear I think I'm turning into Bizz.

lemon sqeezer.JPG

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Hopefuly not.

Why not ? Because its not traditional ? Because its not what YOU like ?

Have you got an old Ford Anglia because you don't like these 'modern cars' with all that fancy stuff on them like power steering, electric windows/mirrors/sunroofs, heated/electric seats, central locking, ABS, etc,etc,etc,. Just because something has been around for ages like it, doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

4 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Have you got an old Ford Anglia because you don't like these 'modern cars' with all that fancy stuff on them like power steering, electric windows/mirrors/sunroofs, heated/electric seats, central locking, ABS, etc,etc,etc,. Just because something has been around for ages like it, doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

I havnt got a Ford Anglia, new fangled rubbish with nonsense like heaters fitted. I will stick with my flying standard thanks.

5 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Thing is, modern canal boats are built to a less sophisticated standard than the good ol' Ford glandular with next to no features, accessories, safety features, awful economy etc. etc.

Most of the development work for canal boats unfortunately ends up in the hands of the owners, so being ambitious about radical features is likely to end badly. Most boat builders avoid owners with weird ideas for very good reasons. When the latest whizzard wheeze fails it's the builder who gets the flak

Richard

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I havnt got a Ford Anglia, new fangled rubbish with nonsense like heaters fitted. I will stick with my flying standard thanks.

Flying Standard - posh!!!

Model T is good enough for me

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, RLWP said:

If you do this to a boat, take into account (of the top of my head) the -

structural strength you took out of the roof - not sure how much there is in the roof ? Some people seem to cut open the side of their boats to make large hatches, would have thought there is more structural rigidity in the sides than the roof ? But I am no structural engineer.

the space you lost to fit solar panels - OK, you could lose some space but not sure every inch is taken up with solar panels. A lot of people seem to fill their roofs with pot plants, brooms, umbrellas, all sorts of crap.

condensation - seems to be the biggest concern.

leaking - make it so it don't leak.

cold draughts - will it ?

how vulnerable the panel is to being jumped on, bricks, boat hooks and poles - don't walk/jump on it, vandalism is always a possibility, don't store boat hooks/poles near it. Glass now is incredibly strong.

lack of privacy in built up areas/bridges... - don't sit in your boat in your underpants when going under bridges, you close your curtains when you want privacy, close the blind/cover to your sunroof/hatch too.