Narrowboating

Joiner 3

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Clodi said:

If, like me, you have been involved in boats & boating for many years then I feel there is a general increase in 'loutish' behavior.

Is this not just a reflection of the way society has gone over the last 50 years or so?

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, shagrazzle said:

I agree with the OP. Definite lack of respect and interest in the history and way of life on the canals by a number of boaters. I'm not just being negative, it was a different story in the early nineties when I owned my first boat.

From your avatar you don't look like you were old enough to own a bote in the early 90's. You will disturb the locals with this sort of behaviour! Keep up the good work. Long may your split personalities multiply.

30 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

From your avatar you don't look like you were old enough to own a bote in the early 90's. You will disturb the locals with this sort of behaviour! Keep up the good work. Long may your split personalities multiply.

Good Morning. Yes, bought my first boat in 1994 , when I was 18. I got my inspiration from my late uncle who owned the Yates working mens club on the Cannock Extension in Norton Canes. He lived on a beautiful 70ft trad right outside the club. The canal life has preserved my youthful looks....thanks for pointing that out.

3 hours ago, Clodi said:

If, like me, you have been involved in boats & boating for many years then I feel there is a general increase in 'loutish' behavior. However, having been involved in Boat Clubs in the early 80's drinking and boating were synonymous  with enjoyment. There's a huge difference between the canals, especially the narrow ones & the wider rivers, estuary & sea where basic knowledge seamanship is a prerequisite.

So it's not just you ?

Thank you, i don't mind anyone having a drink, but to get in a state where your bouncing off other boats, not right, i actually think everyone who hires or uses a boat should have a day course  with the rya, on boat handling and safety

39 minutes ago, Joiner 3 said:

Thank you, i don't mind anyone having a drink, but to get in a state where your bouncing off other boats, not right, i actually think everyone who hires or uses a boat should have a day course  with the rya, on boat handling and safety

Driver training doesn't stop car drivers driving while drunk, why would it work here? A breathalizer immobiliser at every lock though.... 

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Driver training doesn't stop car drivers driving while drunk, why would it work here? A breathalizer immobiliser at every lock though.... 

Surely that would only work until they conned/paid somebody sober to blow into it for them.

1 hour ago, Joiner 3 said:

, i actually think everyone who hires or uses a boat should have a day course  with the rya, on boat handling and safety

Not sure about that. The only time I have ever been pushed seriously aground by an oncoming boat, the offending boat was emblazoned with adverts for the boat handling courses they ran!

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Was on about boat handling and safety, not drink driving, will never stop that, 

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not sure about that. The only time I have ever been pushed seriously aground by an oncoming boat, the offending boat was emblazoned with adverts for the boat handling courses they ran!

Lol not a good advertisement then 

It's just a function of becoming older.  As you grow older you forget that you were young once. Also, as you age, you sort out all the things that annoy you that are in your control. In turn you are more apt to become annoyed with anything that's not perfect outside your own life.

It's been going on for a while:  “The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.” Written in 400-odd BC by Socrates.

Some things never change.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

They could ban drunken hirers for a year, on second thoughts that wouldn't work - they could just delay tneir annual holiday by a week. ?

Mind you how could you differentiate between a first time hirer zig-zagging along the canal whilst he works out how to steer and an experienced hirer zig-zagging along the canal because he is three sheets to the wind? ?

13 minutes ago, Onionman said:

It's been going on for a while:  “The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.” Written in 400-odd BC by Socrates. 

Socrates was tried for and found guilty of corrupting the minds of the youth of Athens, so all the things he was complaining about were clearly his fault!

Jen ?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joiner 3 said:

But a lot of drunken behaviour is on dayboats, so that wouldn't work. 

15 hours ago, Onionman said:

It's just a function of becoming older.  As you grow older you forget that you were young once. Also, as you age, you sort out all the things that annoy you that are in your control. In turn you are more apt to become annoyed with anything that's not perfect outside your own life.

Apparently the source is a little more recent that that :

Quote Investigator: The quote is so entertaining and it fills its niche so well that it is cited repeatedly around the globe. Over the decades the quotation or a close variant has appeared in newspapers such as: Oakland Tribune of California in 1922; The Bee of Danville, Virginia in 1946; Winnipeg Free Press of Manitoba, Canada in 1976; The Sunday Herald of Chicago, Illinois in 1982; the Sun-Herald of Sydney, Australia in 2005; and the Taipei Times of Taiwan in 2008 [SOC1-SOC6]. The words are usually attributed to Socrates and the confusion with Plato is understandable because Plato’s dialogues are the primary source of knowledge concerning Socrates.

QI has determined that the author of the quote is not someone famous or ancient.

It was crafted by a student, Kenneth John Freeman, for his Cambridge dissertation published in 1907. Freeman did not claim that the passage under analysis was a direct quotation of anyone; instead, he was presenting his own summary of the complaints directed against young people in ancient times. The words he used were later slightly altered to yield the modern version. In fact, more than one section of his thesis has been excerpted and then attributed classical luminaries.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Quote Investigator: The quote is so entertaining and it fills its niche so well that it is cited repeatedly around the globe. Over the decades the quotation or a close variant has appeared in newspapers such as: Oakland Tribune of California in 1922; The Bee of Danville, Virginia in 1946; Winnipeg Free Press of Manitoba, Canada in 1976; The Sunday Herald of Chicago, Illinois in 1982; the Sun-Herald of Sydney, Australia in 2005; and the Taipei Times of Taiwan in 2008 [SOC1-SOC6]. The words are usually attributed to Socrates and the confusion with Plato is understandable because Plato’s dialogues are the primary source of knowledge concerning Socrates.

QI has determined that the author of the quote is not someone famous or ancient.

It was crafted by a student, Kenneth John Freeman, for his Cambridge dissertation published in 1907. Freeman did not claim that the passage under analysis was a direct quotation of anyone; instead, he was presenting his own summary of the complaints directed against young people in ancient times. The words he used were later slightly altered to yield the modern version. In fact, more than one section of his thesis has been excerpted and then attributed classical luminaries.

:clapping:

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I stand corrected!

So, instead, here's Horace, about 20BC (Third book of odes)

"The age of our fathers, worse than our grandsires, produced us still more flagitious [villainous], us, who are about to product an offspring more vicious [even than ourselves]. "

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 1