Narrowboating

Joiner 3

Featured Posts

Is it just me or has boating  gone pear shaped,

Boaters not having a clue about the boating etiquette,

Boats full of drunken people doing locks, bridges etc

Kids running around on roofs,

Just feels like its full of novices that don't have a clue or want to learn  about the boating way, 

1 minute ago, Joiner 3 said:

Just feels like its full of novices that don't have a clue or want to learn  about the boating way, 

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting first post.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Joiner 3 said:

Its just you ;)

Welcome.

It's easy to denigrate anything and everything …..

It's only an imbalance of too many negatives hitting you instead of positives.

You're being blinded.

Football! What's that all about? Watching 22 millionaires for less than 2 hours running around a muddy field kicking a bag of wind.

University! Pointless. They leave with a degree in nothing useful and a debt of thousands, hindered by an unrealistic view of life and entitlement.

Brexit! Instead of making this country great again all the politicians have done is make us a laughing stock while concentrating on scoring political points against their opposition.

…. actually, now I come to think of it.

5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Welcome.

It's easy to denigrate anything and everything …..

It's only an imbalance of too many negatives hitting you instead of positives.

You're being blinded.

Football! What's that all about? Watching 22 millionaires for less than 2 hours running around a muddy field kicking a bag of wind.

University! Pointless. They leave with a degree in nothing useful and a debt of thousands, hindered by an unrealistic view of life and entitlement.

Brexit! Instead of making this country great again all the politicians have done is make us a laughing stock while concentrating on scoring political points against their opposition.

…. actually, now I come to think of it.

Avocados - I mean, really?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nah, it's fine. Just been round the Leicester ring, met loads of nice friendly people, most boaters waved cheerfully and even most fisherplonkers. No drunks, a few kids on roofs, so what?

Might be a few more addled brains on the Llangollen next month, but it's all good fun. One's own attitude has a lot to do with it. 

Saw you pass my mooring in Barrow a couple of weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Joiner 3 said:

Is it just me

Yes it is.
Get over it!

1 hour ago, shagrazzle said:

I agree with the OP. Definite lack of respect and interest in the history and way of life on the canals by a number of boaters. I'm not just being negative, it was a different story in the early nineties when I owned my first boat.

Yes you are.
Get over it!

11 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Yes it is.
Get over it!

Yes you are.
Get over it!

Like that is it on here, hopefully there are some real boaters on here, drunk in charge of a boat doing locks,  kids running on roofs, yeah very sensible

7 hours ago, Joiner 3 said:

Like that is it on here, hopefully there are some real boaters on here, drunk in charge of a boat doing locks,  kids running on roofs, yeah very sensible

Of course kids run on boat roofs, they always have done and hardly any fall off,you can tell because we'd hear about it if they did. And no one said an entire boatload of drunks locking is a goood idea, but it happens occasionally and very little harm gets done. 

Real boaters get used to the odd idiot and enjoy the vast majority without getting too wound up about it. 

• Greenie 4

11 hours ago, Joiner 3 said:

9 hours ago, shagrazzle said:

I agree with the OP. Definite lack of respect and interest in the history and way of life on the canals by a number of boaters.

What exactly is the “boating way” and why should anyone need to have an interest in the history of the canals to be able to enjoy them?

The purpose and usage of canals - and indeed the “way of life” - has changed throughout their history and it’s by no means the case that even those who made a living from them all had a great affinity for them.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

I've been boating for 46 years now, and in that time the canals, boats and people using them has changed a lot.

As they say the only constant is change.

However one aspect hasn't changed and that is the vast majority of people using canals then and now enjoying themselves immensely.

• Greenie 2

I think especially in the South East Boating has changed and for many reasons . Social Housing I think is a main one . Etiquette and Kids running on the roof have never particularly interested me but many of the old characters seem to have disappeared , perhaps they have migrated to the K&A ?

2 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I think especially in the South East Boating has changed and for many reasons . Social Housing I think is a main one . Etiquette and Kids running on the roof have never particularly interested me but many of the old characters seem to have disappeared , perhaps they have migrated to the K&A ?

Might just have more of these idiots on the leeds liverpool then, all we ever seem to see up here, lost a few friends on boating accidents, just makes me cringe when i see little kids running on roofs, only takes one slip, why take the risk ,

Drunks on Tupperware bouncing off boats cos there  that drunk

Lost a few friends on boating accidents...

13 hours ago, Joiner 3 said:

It sounds like some of your friends may be the subjects of your first post.......

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

If, like me, you have been involved in boats & boating for many years then I feel there is a general increase in 'loutish' behavior. However, having been involved in Boat Clubs in the early 80's drinking and boating were synonymous  with enjoyment. There's a huge difference between the canals, especially the narrow ones & the wider rivers, estuary & sea where basic knowledge seamanship is a prerequisite.

So it's not just you ?