New Mills visitor mooring

jeanb

Featured Posts

We would have liked to stop at New Mills the other day on the Peak Forest canal on the way to Whaley Bridge but couldn't find a spot. (Not a complaint but a chap in the marina shouted across to us on the towpath "You can't stop there" when we paused in the rain). We would be very grateful if anybody could advise if it's possible to moor at New Mills so we can look around the town etc. Thanks

I thought there were short term visitors moorings as you come through the bridge?

opposite(ish) the diesel pump, a short stretch before you reach the permanent moorings. 

I’m sure I once moored along there.

There’s a gap, gate or style (can’t remember which) that leads onto a back road and then onto the main street.  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I thought there were short term visitors moorings as you come through the bridge?

opposite(ish) the diesel pump, a short stretch before you reach the permanent moorings. 

I’m sure I once moored along there.

There’s a gap, gate or style (can’t remember which) that leads onto a back road and then onto the main street.  

Think this maybe right. Are there 48hr signs next to the Swizzell's factory bridge which opens into the diesel and pumpout end of the marina? Passed a week ago but had to pass through. Wanted to moor for a week near Disley but the bank was too iffy so had to go through new mills towards Whaley stopping short of the swingbridge. Bit of a walk to either New Mills or Furness but nice spot. Think that they're winter moorings.

eta: one thing to remember is that the marina is up at the newtown end. You have to walk right down to the lights, turn left and up the street to find the town proper. 

Edited by BilgePump

just checked on the CRT map where their bollard is and it shows the start of what I always thought were long term moorings stretch (Whaley end of New Mills marina), and is there possibly a sign about the marina managing them on the towpath? Sure I remember seeing something about that last year when cycling because I was a bit naiive about how the towpath mooring is let out. If it's anything like my CRT mooring though (miles away) all signage round them is for no mooring or 48hrs and very confusing. Sneak in my spot if I'm not there, no worries.

Problem is that at the end of these long term moorings, going towards whaley, there  is a small but popular winding hole and then a short stretch and bridge on a narrow, shallow canal. 'Tagging on the end' ends up being hundreds of yards down the canal. There aren't tons on places where it makes sense to stop but being able to moor up for 48hrs near to the town should be preserved as possible and in this instance that would be at the marina end. Boaters may not be the most important part of the economy but if everyone has to push on to near Tesco in Whaley it would be a loss to New Mills. 

You could always try and moor at Whaley Bridge, or Furness Vale and catch the train (or bus) to New Mills, not that there is much to see, or do in new Mills. It would be far more interesting to go in the other direction and visit Buxton, where there is more to see and do.

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

You could always try and moor at Whaley Bridge, or Furness Vale and catch the train (or bus) to New Mills, not that there is much to see, or do in new Mills. It would be far more interesting to go in the other direction and visit Buxton, where there is more to see and do.

The gorge with its hydro plant is well worth a visit and there us a useful place to replace your ropes and fenders.