Found on Juno - what are they?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Photos below - it's only as I'm trying to make room in the cupboard on Juno  I took these out. Three rods, different lengths but between 3 and 4 foot. The longest (the green one) is adjustable and has a hook, the othe end has a half eye, the longer of the two black ones has a half eye at each end, and the shorter at one end only (it may have lost the other one, the come off easily enough)

They have been encased in pipe insulation, as per behind the three "things" or rather two of then have been, again, the third may have lost its coat.

Before I get rid, are they actually something incredibly useful that I don't know about? 

20190615_170526.jpg

20190615_170536.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick

2 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Green one is a clothes line prop. 

£3 from Wilco: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-extendable-clothes-prop/p/1289640

The other two look like they get bent into arches and wedged between things, like over the top of a semi-trad stern to support a cover

Richard

Edited by RLWP

The black ones are definitely home made, with what looks like pipe clips with the top sawn off stuck into the end of some poly pipe (20mm, so not standard plumbing) .  Supports for a cover (RWLP) sounds likely.

33 minutes ago, RLWP said:

£3 from Wilco: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-extendable-clothes-prop/p/1289640

The other two look like they get bent into arches and wedged between things, like over the top of a semi-trad stern to support a cover

Richard

Perhaps they are additional homemade props for the clothes line?

1 minute ago, Paringa said:

Perhaps they are additional homemade props for the clothes line?

I did think of that, they are too short

There is another possibility - this is a set of 'masts' for displaying bunting at a rally. We lashed up something similar for the BCN Challenge using a mop, string and some bunting. The telescopic one would go in the middle and the shorter ones towards the ends

Richard

The bunting probably makes sense,  given where Juno has been moored her whole life there will have been canal reopening celebrations as well as festivals in Bristol. I wonder if the two black poles would bridge between the hand rails on the roof? 

Now I just need to decide whether they're worth keeping! Probably not....

Edited by magpie patrick

6 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The bunting probably makes sense,  given where Juno has been moored her whole life there will have been canal reopening celebrations as well as festivals in Bristol. I wonder if the two black poles would bridge between the hand rails on the roof? 

Now I just need to decide whether they're worth keeping! Probably not....

Is there any bunting in a cupboard?

The black tubes look like 20mm electrical conduit. Perhaps bridged between handrails like this:

DSCN1690.JPG.4a3080fb2c98701492bc291bb4e9c6eb.JPG

My boat, but using tent poles to hold the bunting. Sheffield and Tinsley Canal 200th Anniversary earlier this year.

Jen

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The black tubes look like 20mm electrical conduit. Perhaps bridged between handrails like this:

My boat, but using tent poles to hold the bunting. Sheffield and Tinsley Canal 200th Anniversary earlier this year.

Jen

I love your snail, Jen.  :D

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I love your snail, Jen.  :D

Thanks! It started life as a boot brush, but when the brush eventually disintegrated, I sawed off the non-snail bits, repainted it and stuck some magnets on the back. I wish they did an opposite facing one for the other door!

Jen

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I wish they did an opposite facing one for the other door!

Yes, getting him to face the opposite way is the tricky part, you get kits for making silicon moulds but that would only give a snail facing the same way. 

18 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yes, getting him to face the opposite way is the tricky part, you get kits for making silicon moulds but that would only give a snail facing the same way. 

I suspect it might involve laser scanning, then 3D printing a mirror image of the scan, or some such. In the mean time, I do have an Iron Snail tiller pin. Courtesy of a garden ornament, with a brass rod epoxied in!

Jen

ironsnailtillerpin.JPG.f1a7cb40194321b3089d873bb1ad5918.JPG

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Now you come to mention it, there was bunting in a cupboard some time ago, I think I used it on the other boat (Ripple - which shows how long ago I'm talking) for a festival, possibly Droitwich 

The green one is a clothes line prop. We have 3 of these and we use them to hang out clothes to dry in the boat.

Because they expand and can be locked you can put them right on top of the windows either side to hang the clothes on.

clothes.jpg

• Greenie 1