Replacemnt of lock gates from 1950s onwards

Philip

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You could contact CRT to see if they have records that you could view.

Thanks, will give them a try.

18 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

OK, I'll take the bait!

Why?

Not for any kind of project or anything, just always been intrigued about when the lock furniture changed on specific locks; mainly gate paddles being removed from the Llangollen locks, the current modern paddle gear replacing the old on both canals, steel gates replacing wooden ones... So it's the 60s/70s/80s era to be more precise.

I like the quirkier aspects of the canal!

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 1

I suppose the first call would be with the surviving lock gate makers at Bradley and Stanley Ferry. Other sources of lock gates were quite varied on canal restoration and looking at back copies of NAVVIES might provide useful information. 

You may find this report I wrote in 2007 of interest. I was asked to look for drawings of lock gates to identify variations between canals as this could have been used to promote individual canals. The railway owned canals tended to have more drawings, presumably because they had easy access to a drawing office. For other canals I found a number of notebooks written by foremen carpenters and similar which just gave specific dimensions for individual locks. Obviously, canal carpenters who had been trained in a local workshop would know how they should construct a lock gate, and only needed outline dimensions.

2007_Lock_Gate_report.pdf

8 hours ago, Pluto said:

You may find this report I wrote in 2007 of interest. I was asked to look for drawings of lock gates to identify variations between canals as this could have been used to promote individual canals. The railway owned canals tended to have more drawings, presumably because they had easy access to a drawing office. For other canals I found a number of notebooks written by foremen carpenters and similar which just gave specific dimensions for individual locks. Obviously, canal carpenters who had been trained in a local workshop would know how they should construct a lock gate, and only needed outline dimensions.

2007_Lock_Gate_report.pdf 45.26 MB · 8 downloads

Thank you, interesting to the see the detailed profiles of the lock gates on certain canals. The BCN tail-gate design barely changed at all!

Do you remember upper gate paddles on the Llangollen and when they were all removed by any chance?

13 hours ago, Philip said:

Thank you, interesting to the see the detailed profiles of the lock gates on certain canals. The BCN tail-gate design barely changed at all!

Do you remember upper gate paddles on the Llangollen and when they were all removed by any chance?

I would expect the gate paddles to have changed over time, commencing with the introduction of standard gates in the late 1960s. I have seen photos showing them on some locks in the 1980s.