Harecastle Tilley hat

Captain Beaky

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Lifetime warranty!

Mine's now 15years old and I could do with sending it back for a new one. They would replace it if I could be bothered to send it back. It's a bit frayed and the 'holes' are going green (assume they are made of something with copper in them).

From their website:

"If your hat shows damage from improper care or abuse (mold or mildew included), it will not be repaired or replaced. "

https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/t3-wanderer-hat.html

7 hours ago, dave moore said:

Quality is usually expensive.

They are very well made.

For what they are, they should be gold trimmed. I should add that expensive does not always mean quality just good PR and a big hook ?

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:41, Mac of Cygnet said:

More likely to be Romiley on the Peak Forest.  Not far away.

True, but nobody actually moors at Romiley. There are a few boats on the top pound of the Macc and PF that do say Romiley, so if the OP is heading that way, will almost certainly pass the owners boat along the way.

7 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

Happy Ending, just arriving at Marple we found the owner's boat and was able to return said hat to his neighbour(s).

First proper sun today so I hope he hasn't already bought a replacement. Probably not, being they ain't cheap!

Above and beyond, Beaky! Most folk would, I suspect, be sporting a dashing new (to them) Tilley hat in the present sunshine. Have a greenie for your honesty and outstanding efforts to return said hat. :)

3 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Happy Ending, just arriving at Marple we found the owner's boat and was able to return said hat to his neighbour(s).

First proper sun today so I hope he hasn't already bought a replacement. Probably not, being they ain't cheap!

Mega well done that man! Hope you told him to do a proper job of putting his name in the hat ?.

• Greenie 1

On 15/06/2019 at 16:03, Tim Lewis said:

Followed Scholar Gypsy up the Tidal Thames once when he lost his Tilley hat to the wind. He got it back a while later after someone found it washed up on the Greenwich foreshore and noticed his contact details in it!

And then I dropped it when off piste in the Brecon Beacons.  It's not come back yet.  The replacement didn't have quite as generous a replacement policy....

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly lost my 25 year old Tilley hat today.

Came out of a bridgehole and the wind took it a d dropped it in the cut a boat length behind me.

Good job they are designed to float.

A bit of hard reverse and a stab with the boat hook retrieved it. Quick wash and it's still as good as new. 

A great story and I like it. 

However,  I can’t help wondering if the hat wasn’t lost on purpose?

The OP having been given it as a present and feeling rather embarrassed wearing it thought “Aha, I shall loose it in this tunnel, and no one will know!” 

Imagine his surprise when it was returned. 

Should have used the Standedge Tunnel ?

Well, Standedge is over 3 miles of tunnel, plenty of room for things to stay lost a long time, but anything that floats should emerge in the end, as apart from what lock use takes there's a steady flow of water into it in various places draining from the parallel (slightly higher) railway tunnels, so you might expect a net flow out of each end?

Somewhere in there should be the stern rail of Lingy's boat which got knocked off while Stephen and myself were going through two weeks ago. We steered half the tunnel each, with a CRT guy also on the back with us, but very surprisingly no-one noticed it go; I noticed its absence just after we emerged at Diggle, and informed the CRT people there. It's a big lump of wood, about 7 foot by 4" by 2", so should get noticed sooner or later. But I guess it could float back and forth along the 3 miles for a long time before it either emerges or is retrieved.

• Haha 1

I just looked at the Tilley hat in the link. Crumbs, £70. Apart from its blue colour it looks not dissimilar to my trusty cream sunhat which I think was £15 in M&S in Wolverhampton a few years ago.

I see that this Tilley hat is "Pre-washed to look like it's already journeyed 1000 kilometres", which is supposed to be a good thing? As my hat's done more than that by now, perhaps I should offer it on eBay?

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

I just looked at the Tilley hat in the link. Crumbs, £70. Apart from its blue colour it looks not dissimilar to my trusty cream sunhat which I think was £15 in M&S in Wolverhampton a few years ago.

I see that this Tilley hat is "Pre-washed to look like it's already journeyed 1000 kilometres", which is supposed to be a good thing? As my hat's done more than that by now, perhaps I should offer it on eBay?

I am always amazed at how people like to waste good money - never been fond of these hats which I think are vastly over priced. I winder if people aren't aware that a perfectly nice Captains Hat can be purcgased forvas little as £3 and a superior model for no more than a tenner! Much more suitable for a canal environment and compliments your pirate flag beautifully.:captain:

Howard

Edited by howardang

When I bought mine they were relatively new to the UK. The manual said you could wash them in the dishwasher, but when I did so all the colour disappeared. Apparently American/Canadian dishwashers don't use salt unless you add it on a per-time basis but of course UK ones have reservoir so salt is always added. Tilley replaced it with no problems, thanking me for discovering that the UK version of the manual needed re-writing. A few years later two of the brass eyelets fell out; Tilley replaced it with no problems. Then several years later the dog chewed the brim and again Tilley replaced it with no problems. I reckon I got good value from my purchase 30 years ago, especially as in every case they returned the old hat with the new one and I am still using them all (even the one with half the brim missing)

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Well, Standedge is over 3 miles of tunnel, plenty of room for things to stay lost a long time, but anything that floats should emerge in the end, as apart from what lock use takes there's a steady flow of water into it in various places draining from the parallel (slightly higher) railway tunnels, so you might expect a net flow out of each end?

Somewhere in there should be the stern rail of Lingy's boat which got knocked off while Stephen and myself were going through two weeks ago. We steered half the tunnel each, with a CRT guy also on the back with us, but very surprisingly no-one noticed it go; I noticed its absence just after we emerged at Diggle, and informed the CRT people there. It's a big lump of wood, about 7 foot by 4" by 2", so should get noticed sooner or later. But I guess it could float back and forth along the 3 miles for a long time before it either emerges or is retrieved.

Maybe someone could return that stern rail? If found. 

• Greenie 1

On 18/07/2019 at 20:40, howardang said:

I winder if people aren't aware that a perfectly nice Captains Hat can be purcgased forvas little as £3 and a superior model for no more than a tenner!

Actually,  you'd need to add a couple of noughts to your £3 to get a proper Captain's hat in my experience, so once again the issue remains: the real thing or a range of cheaper options - you pays yer money! ;)

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Actually,  you'd need to add a couple of noughts to your £3 to get a proper Captain's hat in my experience, so once again the issue remains: the real thing or a range of cheaper options - you pays yer money! ;)

2067715028_captainsHat.jpg.d7bfa7b4dd66968bcab1a6c54e8d38f0.jpg

I think you were robbed! This one is for sale at, I think, £2.99 and is advertised as unisex so Mrs Captain can wear it as well, and as I mentioned in my previous post I think it makes the ideal accompaniment to your pirates flag which all self respecting narrow boats must fly. I think it is very fetching and the added feature of it is that it doesn't matter if it blows off - a replacement can be delivered by Prime within 24 hours at a very reasonable cost.:captain:

Howard

13 minutes ago, howardang said:

I think you were robbed! This one is for sale at, I think, £2.99 and is advertised as unisex so Mrs Captain can wear it as well, and as I mentioned in my previous post I think it makes the ideal accompaniment to your pirates flag which all self respecting narrow boats must fly. I think it is very fetching and the added feature of it is that it doesn't matter if it blows off - a replacement can be delivered by Prime within 24 hours at a very reasonable cost.:captain:

Howard

Well I have to say it is rather fetching and a lot cheaper. At that money Mr and Mrs could have one each and still afford a huge inflatable banana to go with the pirate flag. Not sure it would have quite passed muster in HM Forces, but you know what stick in the muds they can be.