Harecastle Tilley hat

Captain Beaky

Featured Posts

Saturday 15th June, just gone through Harecastle southwards. While waiting at the north portal the first boater out at about 11 am said he had lost his Tilley Hat.

well good news friend, we have retrieved it ! We know your boat said Romiley but can't remember anything else.

If you can describe which type of Tilley hat and maybe size, we can start to get it back to you.

The southern tunnel keeper wasn't very helpful really and was dealing with four boats to be fair.

We are on NB Silkwood.

cheers

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Captain Beaky said:

Saturday 15th June, just gone through Harecastle southwards. While waiting at the north portal the first boater out at about 11 am said he had lost his Tilley Hat.

well good news friend, we have retrieved it ! We know your boat said Romiley but can't remember anything else.

If you can describe which type of Tilley hat and maybe size, we can start to get it back to you.

The southern tunnel keeper wasn't very helpful really and was dealing with four boats to be fair.

We are on NB Silkwood.

cheers

Another challenge for @TheBiscuits and @cheshire~rose

How many botes can we get to pass the hat back to the bote that we dont know the name of?

• Haha 1

Followed Scholar Gypsy up the Tidal Thames once when he lost his Tilley hat to the wind. He got it back a while later after someone found it washed up on the Greenwich foreshore and noticed his contact details in it!

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, sharpness said:

The OP said  " We know your boat said Romiley but can't remember anything else. "

Is that a place name then, I took it to be the boat name. There is a "Romiley" on the G&S, might be out & about.

More likely to be Romiley on the Peak Forest.  Not far away.

6 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

We are on NB Silkwood.

cheers

6 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

We are on NB Silkwood.

cheers

yep we recently had the pleasure of interacting with the southern tunnel keeper, a complete cockwomble if ever I have met one.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

we are heading 'up' the Caldon now, but plan is to eventually return back up the Macc and onto the peak forest to bugsworth basin.

The name had been written on the label but the ink was not able to withstand purity of the T&M water quality.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I thought Tilley pledge to replace your hat if you lose it? 

They are insured against loss for the first year only, but Tilley will replace them if you manage to wear one out.

With hindsight I should have lost mine soon after buying it. ?

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If I had one I wouldn't wear it out. Sometimes it's such  a burden being fashion conscious! ;)

With my bald pate it is essential safety gear in hot weather, not a fashion statement ?

Originally thinking this was a fancy name for a chinese hat on a chimney, I was keeping out of it.

Finally, and slowly, cottoning on to the fact you were talking about an item of clothing, I Googled the term.

I am not a Yorkshireman, coming from the correct side of the Pennines but......................................HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!

George

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Originally thinking this was a fancy name for a chinese hat on a chimney, I was keeping out of it.

Finally, and slowly, cottoning on to the fact you were talking about an item of clothing, I Googled the term.

I am not a Yorkshireman, coming from the correct side of the Pennines but......................................HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!

George

I paid more than that for my Akubara hat, doesn't too seem bad really.  As Dave Moore says quality is expensive.

47 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

George

Lifetime warranty!

Mine's now 15years old and I could do with sending it back for a new one. They would replace it if I could be bothered to send it back. It's a bit frayed and the 'holes' are going green (assume they are made of something with copper in them).

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I paid more than that for my Akubara hat, doesn't too seem bad really.  As Dave Moore says quality is expensive.

My flat caps cost about £10 a pop and having spent their lifetimes on MY head are probably best left in the depths of Harecastle should such an event occur! ?

George

5 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

All I can say is that they were much cheaper when I bought mine 25 years ago. ?

7 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Must admit once I saw the prices all I could think of is - a fool and his money etc.