Mooring at Goring

Phil.

Featured Posts

Gets better don't it.  In the 70s, I never was charged for mooring at a lock.  The keeper usually just said "Oh, just stick it round there somewhere".  Even when I left it for several days while I went visiting. 

But that was the Conservancy.

On 15/06/2019 at 14:59, Steilsteven said:

Well  ( and it's my patch too ) when EA announced the end of the trial period involving TVM they specifically said  that all such moorings would revert to 24 hours only.

I actually questioned whether or not the one day free followed by up to two further days at £5 each would still apply and they categorically said no.

To my knowledge that has never been E.A.,NRA, Thames Water or TC practice and was Rex Walden's idea to improve mooring availability on the Thames which he put to EA and they agreed to a twelve month ( initially at least ) trial period. 

Chargeable moorings at the lock are for every day and last Autumn/Winter I paid £7 for below the lock on the weir stream and £13 above the lock including power hook up.

Keith

Curious. Last weekend we pulled in to a mooring spot just below Iffley Lock and the new signage (changed from last autumn) stated '24 hour mooring only'.  I asked the lock keeper there exactly the same thing a you did, and he said it's free the first night, a fiver for the second and third night. As far as he knows it's the same at other locks. 

Strange. A fellow we met last week insisted he was charged £7.50 for nights two and three at Goring Lock the previous week.

Also. We always found payment for moorings through TVM dead easy over the phone, and received an email receipt. When I mentioned this to a Thames lock keeper, he said that may be so, but what he didn't like was getting stuck in the middle when a boater says they paid via TVM ... and TVM confirms they hadn't. He reckoned about 80% of people were honest and paid for the second and third nights ... and 20% didn't. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2019 at 21:29, Jim Batty said:

Curious. Last weekend we pulled in to a mooring spot just below Iffley Lock and the new signage (changed from last autumn) stated '24 hour mooring only'.  I asked the lock keeper there exactly the same thing a you did, and he said it's free the first night, a fiver for the second and third night. As far as he knows it's the same at other locks. 

Strange. A fellow we met last week insisted he was charged £7.50 for nights two and three at Goring Lock the previous week.

Also. We always found payment for moorings through TVM dead easy over the phone, and received an email receipt. When I mentioned this to a Thames lock keeper, he said that may be so, but what he didn't like was getting stuck in the middle when a boater says they paid via TVM ... and TVM confirms they hadn't. He reckoned about 80% of people were honest and paid for the second and third nights ... and 20% didn't. 

Since I posted the above we recently stayed at Goring. There is something even stranger going on: 

When there, if you say to the lock keeper, 'I understand it's free for the first night, then £5 for the second night and £5 for the third night', that's what you'll pay. £10 for three nights.

With at least one lock keeper, if you go to pay and say, 'How much is it?' you will pay nothing for the first night, £7.50 for the second night and £7.50 for the third night. £15 for three nights.

Seriously.