Yamaha 9.9 OB - what battery?

Featured Posts

Juno's outboard needs a new starter battery - the old one was my car battery (now departed VW Golf) that had ceased to be in the car when I couldn't rely on it any more, so not that surprising really. 

What does the forum recommend to start a Yamaha 9.9 long leg outboard? I suspect any small car battery will do the job but would welcome confirmation. The present car doesn't need a new battery. so it won't be a hand me down (although I guess there may be logic in replacing the car battery and cascading the old one - car is a rover 214)

With that size of OB you'd 'get away' with a motorcycle battery, so any car battery will do.

Use the Rover battery and put a new one on the car.

I think the recommended battery is a 40Ah battery @ 20AH rate

This may help

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/motorcycle-battery-for-small-electric-start-outboard-102877.html

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With that size of OB you'd 'get away' with a motorcycle battery, so any car battery will do.

Use the Rover battery and put a new one on the car.

I think the recommended battery is a 40Ah battery @ 20AH rate

This may help

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/motorcycle-battery-for-small-electric-start-outboard-102877.html

Thanks Alan, getting a new battery for the car seems a cost-effective idea!