Lister SR3 & LH 150 Oil

boatboatboat

Featured Posts

Hello,

I've seen various recommendations for different oils to use with a Lister SR3 & LH 150 - and just want to double check I have understood correctly that this is the best combo: 

Engine - Morris Golden Film SAE 30 Classic Motor Oil

Gearbox / Reduction - Morris Golden Film 80W-90 Classic Gear Oil

Or should I be using something else??

Cheers,

D

11 minutes ago, davivid said:

My manual says every 1000 hours for the gearbox and every 250 for the engine. 

If I found myself needing to top up could I use these in a pinch?

Engine - Halfords 15W40 Part Synthetic Oil 5L

Gearbox / Reduction - Halfords Gear Oil EP 80W/90 GL-4 1L

The trouble with those hours is, for many boats that's engine oil once a year, gearbox (and reduction box) every four years. But what if your boat doesn't get a lot of use and you get a lot of condensation in the gearbox? 

Yes to the gear oil, no to the engine oil because it is too high a spec (API-CF). Your engine is going to be happier with an API-CC like the Morris or the Rock oil we sell

Unless you have no oil and need to put some in. In which case, any engine oil will do for now

Richard

I don't think I have ever changed the gearbox oil, worryingly. It may have been done at services, but I doubt it. It'll be due a change now as it's about 1000 hours since a rebuild, so - whats the best way to drain it? Can I just pump it out through the filler hole with a suction pump? 

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't think I have ever changed the gearbox oil, worryingly. It may have been done at services, but I doubt it. It'll be due a change now as it's about 1000 hours since a rebuild, so - whats the best way to drain it? Can I just pump it out through the filler hole with a suction pump? 

Best way is to let it out through the drain holes. You can clean the magnetic plug in the gearbox at the same time

Richard

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2019 at 23:06, RLWP said:

Best way is to let it out through the drain holes. You can clean the magnetic plug in the gearbox at the same time

Richard

I don't think I can access the drain holes for the gearbox or reduction - I assume they are underneath? Would it be bad to pump it out from the dipstick tubes?

Also am I likely to have an engine oil filter that needs replacing?

sr3.jpg