Hacking is not funny.

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, RLWP said:

You would spam Sam by sending him lots of emails

You need to log in to spam this forum, and that is becoming increasingly difficult. So hacking an existing account rather than getting caught creating a new one makes sense

Richard

According to his past threads on this subject its just someone trying to log into his account and anybody could do that if you do that a few times and get the password wrong then an email is often sent out by the site concerned. So it could be personal rather than anything to do with the forum its self. just playing devil's advocate. 

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Who are 'we' and 'us'?

There may not be an "we" and "us" it might be an elaborate plan to explain why Sam is suddenly hider's father. 

Edited by Tumshie
spilleng

16 minutes ago, hider said:

Thanks for that

The warnings come from the hosting company and advise going onto the site, this forum, with a new search and then changing the password there.

That seems to rule out the warnings being to grab the password.

So far they seem to have been foiled but its happening quicker, he went on tonight for the first time in a while and within 2 hours the warning arrived in his inbox.

RichM states that the hosting company they use do not contact members. 

If the hosting company is contacting you, then maybe it isn't the hosting company.

Just now, Rickent said:

RichM states that the hosting company they use do not contact members. 

If the hosting company is contacting you, then maybe it isn't the hosting company.

The hosting company wouldn't know Sam's email to contact him.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The hosting company wouldn't know Sam's email to contact him.

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Exactly, but he says he is getting emails from them. That should be a red flag right away.

He's getting emails from the forum and RichM has confirmed that if someone, or even yourself tried to log into your account and entered the wrong password too many times or tried to log in from a different device then an email notification woluld be send from this forum. 

Just now, Tumshie said:

He's getting emails from the forum and RichM has confirmed that if someone, or even yourself tried to log into your account and entered the wrong password too many times or tried to log in from a different device then an email notification woluld be send from this forum. 

Hider Sam said the emails were from the hosting company.

22 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Hider Sam has said a lot of things to try and dig himself out of a hole of his own making tonight. ?

Sad that you think that is worth posting. I hope you never have this problem.

Its not worthy of you.

10 minutes ago, hider said:

Its not worthy of you.

It is very sad that it came to the fact that I felt the need to post it, because for, and because of all his grumpiness I rather liked Sam. 

10 minutes ago, hider said:

Its not worthy of you.

It's funny you should mention that, I just mentioned to someone that I wondered if someone who was unhappy with me might do that to me if they were feeling mean and spiteful. But that might be overly obvious wouldn't it. 

From time to time I get e-mails which appear to have been sent from my own e-mail address. They generally offer a threat or two and then ask me to send them some "bitcoins", which so far I have not done as I haven't got any spare ones lying around. Does this mean that I, or rather my account, have, or rather has, been "hacked"? If so, does it matter? I find it rather flattering that someone thinks I'm important enough to bother wasting their time in such a way. Could any harm come of it?

11 hours ago, hider said:

Thanks for that

The warnings come from the hosting company

No they don't.

They may SAY that they come from the hosting company, but I could say that I'm calling from Buck House.

11 minutes ago, mayalld said:

No they don't.

They may SAY that they come from the hosting company, but I could say that I'm calling from Buck House.

Are you the piano player in that whoreho - oh...

• Haha 1

This doesn't have to be either a virus or spam attack (although it could be).  To me it has highlighted a bit of a weakness in the forum, that could happen to any of us.

Display Names are public knowledge.  Anyone, even if not a member, could repeatedly attempt to login using someone's Display Name.  Obviously they would keep failing bcause they don't know the password, but as I understand it this would keep causing the password reset problem described above.

RichM, is there an option to require login via email address only, either at individual or forum level?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that along the same lines as the multi-facetted "do you still beat your wife?" question?

You need to misread the previous post, and be familiar with a famous joke about hiding your career choice to make sense of my post

20 minutes ago, RLWP said:

You need to misread the previous post, and be familiar with a famous joke about hiding your career choice to make sense of my post

I'm FAR too naïve to know any jokes about whorehouses....