Hacking is not funny.

Featured Posts

Would the stupid pratt that keeps trying to hack my account on here PLEASE stop it?

Its not clever or funny,

I have been off the forum for days and as soon as I start posting again the interference starts. I am running out of passwords I have changed them so often.

The moderators on the forum have done nothing about this despite sending them copies of the emails from the hosting company when the hacks are made.

If it doesn't stop we will have to cease using the forum altogether as the attempt is to use our account to post rude comments.

If we stop posting you will know its not us making these disgusting remarks,

Ignore it. It’s likely either a spam bot or a troll purposely trying to login with incorrect credentials and thus prompting the notifications you receive. 

It is worth noting that you will also be notified by email in the event that someone does login from a new device. This is the only time you need to be concerned. Should you receive such an email and presuming you did not login from the device, I’d recommend checking your computer for malicious software and also check your email account has not been compromised.

I could disable the alerts (for everyone) if need be but that won’t stop anyone or anything from *trying* to login as you using incorrect login details, it just means you wouldn’t get to know about it..

The other option is to create an email rule that moves the email with the subject in question to your deleted items folder. 

Dad and I, but only dad, Sam, has this problem but he has been on the forum longer.

Its not a virus or malware, he gets warning emails about attempts to change his password from the firm that host this forum. 

The address where the attempts are made keeps changing, from Canada to London, the last ones tonight were from America so whoever it is must be savvy on a computer.

The worry is whether they are trying to get into other things too.

We have tried swapping computers, its still only his they get at. We use the same MiFi yet mine is fine.....so far.

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

:huh:

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

:huh:

That's what happened once before, I think on another forum he uses, a disgusting post was made and he had to change his passwords and apologise to everyone.

This has happened before to someone else?

Sorry for any confusion but its worrying.

25 minutes ago, hider said:

Its not a virus or malware, he gets warning emails about attempts to change his password from the firm that host this forum. 

The address where the attempts are made keeps changing, from Canada to London, the last ones tonight were from America so whoever it is must be savvy on a computer.

In which case, it could be someone trying to spam this forum by hacking an existing account

28 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

despite sending them copies of the emails from the hosting company when the hacks are made.

This confuses me as the hosting company we use do not contact our members. Is it possible to take screenshot of the email and PM it to me?

If you have any reason to suspect your computer or accounts have been compromised it’s a wise idea to scan your machine as mentioned. I also recommend Malwarebytes but also do a full AV scan in addition to a malware scan.

If you share a computer I also recommend having your own windows or apple user account for use when logging in to your computer(s) Having multiple people sharing one account is not really wise, though not uncommon...

15 minutes ago, hider said:

Dad and I, but only dad, Sam, has this problem but he has been on the forum longer.

The worry is whether they are trying to get into other things too.

We have tried swapping computers, its still only his they get at. We use the same MiFi yet mine is fine.....so far.

The last sentence would suggest that there is something on Boater Sam's computer that is prompting this. Has he ever responded to an email along the lines of "please change your password"? Such emails commonly connect to a copy of the expected site. Result is that password isn't changed, but, as changing password usually requires the old one input, the phisher now has the password, and can either change it himself, denying the legitimate user access, or just impersonate said user. There is also the opportunity to install a bit of spyware such as a keyboard logger, which will give the hacker access to other accounts.

Thanks for that

2 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

The last sentence would suggest that there is something on Boater Sam's computer that is prompting this. Has he ever responded to an email along the lines of "please change your password"? Such emails commonly connect to a copy of the expected site. Result is that password isn't changed, but, as changing password usually requires the old one input, the phisher now has the password, and can either change it himself, denying the legitimate user access, or just impersonate said user. There is also the opportunity to install a bit of spyware such as a keyboard logger, which will give the hacker access to other accounts.

The warnings come from the hosting company and advise going onto the site, this forum, with a new search and then changing the password there.

That seems to rule out the warnings being to grab the password.

So far they seem to have been foiled but its happening quicker, he went on tonight for the first time in a while and within 2 hours the warning arrived in his inbox.

25 minutes ago, hider said:

That's what happened once before, I think on another forum he uses, a disgusting post was made and he had to change his passwords and apologise to everyone.

This has happened before to someone else?

Sorry for any confusion but its worrying.

32 minutes ago, hider said:

It's someone who knows your Dad, either personally or through the internet, probably using a widely available VPN and has got a bug in your computer.

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

In which case, it could be someone trying to spam this forum by hacking an existing account

Or perhaps as it only happens when Sam is using his account it's someone trying to Spam Sam. 

51 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Would the stupid pratt that keeps trying to hack my account on here PLEASE stop it?

Its not clever or funny,

I have been off the forum for days and as soon as I start posting again the interference starts. I am running out of passwords I have changed them so often.

Given they are failing to guess your password and get into your account, why do you feel the need to keep changing it? Its clearly strong enough to do its job already. Just forget it and carry on here as normal. 

If ever we see a rude or unpleasant post from you we will all obviously assume its your hacker :giggles:

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Or perhaps as it only happens when Sam is using his account it's someone trying to Spam Sam. 

You would spam Sam by sending him lots of emails

You need to log in to spam this forum, and that is becoming increasingly difficult. So hacking an existing account rather than getting caught creating a new one makes sense

Richard

Forget it for now, Tumshie is bored.

He'll just not use the forum.

I'm convinced that its someone on here, it doesn't happen on his private firearms forum or on Thunderboat. But I'll get his computer and run malware software etc.

Is your email account Yahoo. The only ever spam and stuff like that I get seems to come from Yahoo accounts.  Yahoo, the filthy diabolical beastie from Gullivers Travels.

Edited by bizzard