PRM 150 Gearbox Oil

bmp

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Drained my PRM 150 today and the oil was straw coloured/ dirty. Refilled with new Morriss' 20/50, and had the usual problem of identifying the level. Closed up and ran for a while, and then checked the level again. This time, the level showed up and was 'milky' and also high. I drew some out with the vacuum pump, still milky, and checked the level again, this time OK. The 'milky' oil I had removed had by this time, reverted to normal oil and  clear. I am hoping that it was just aeration from being pumped round the box.

it does pass through an oil cooler in the Jabsco raw water circuit, but there was no sign of water in the old oil, or in the small amount that had settled in the vacuum pump. It is the first time I have ever checked the oil level immediately after running the engine, but maybe someone else has with the same result. I'll obviously check before next starting the engine.

The oil gets pressurised by the gear pump on the back, squeezed through the innards and squirted back into the main part of the box. Getting aerated like that makes sense

Richard

My Beta JD3 has a PRM 150, & both get 10W40 mineral oil, currently some from Unipart. I have used other cheap CC grade varieties in the past.

Beta recommend oil changes every 250 hours for the engine & 600 for the gearbox.

Engine & box are now over 5,500 hours with no sign of trouble.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, trackman said:

My Beta JD3 has a PRM 150, & both get 10W40 mineral oil, currently some from Unipart. I have used other cheap CC grade varieties in the past.

Beta recommend oil changes every 250 hours for the engine & 600 for the gearbox.

Engine & box are now over 5,500 hours with no sign of trouble.

That makes me feel better !!  

I did my oil change on Friday and all went reasonably well. 

The issue I had with the gearbox was not being able to get anything under the gearbox to catch the oil. There is a bulkhead directly below the gearbox and no way of getting anything under it.  I had to use the pump out (or suck out) option to get the old oil out. I would have preferred to drop it out of the drain but couldn't. 

I then had the same issue as others on here have found .....  not being able to see where the new oil is on the dipstick as it was too clear to see. I eventually could make out where it is up to so hopefully I am ok with that. I will keep checking each time I use it over the next few weeks to double check.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice in this thread.

Good idea with talc. 

I made a wooden dipstick with a screw across the top making a crucifix

This is painted matt black and is easy to read. I keep it in a plastic bag. 

1 hour ago, bmp said:

The issue I had with the gearbox was not being able to get anything under the gearbox to catch the oil. There is a bulkhead directly below the gearbox and no way of getting anything under it.  I had to use the pump out (or suck out) option to get the old oil out. I would have preferred to drop it out of the drain but couldn't. 

One of those chip scoops some chippys use might fit.

I would recommend a dedicated one for the job though!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6iz1cXqCS6ygn7w1IH-y

Simpler cheaper ones are available that look like a folded baking sheet without the handle, but I can't find a picture of one.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

One of those chip scoops some chippys use might fit.

I would recommend a dedicated one for the job though!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6iz1cXqCS6ygn7w1IH-y

Simpler cheaper ones are available that look like a folded baking sheet without the handle, but I can't find a picture of one.

That is a good idea. I literally have an inch or 2 below it. 

Might suck as much oil out as possible first and then drain the last bit using something like that. 

1 hour ago, bmp said:

That is a good idea. I literally have an inch or 2 below it. 

Might suck as much oil out as possible first and then drain the last bit using something like that. 

If it fits, just run it all into a bucket.  Saves messing about with a pump!

Edited by TheBiscuits

11 hours ago, hider said:

Dust the stick with talc or chalk, up to the lower mark without screwing it in will be the upper mark when screwed home.

Talcum powder (magnesium silicate) may be very soft, and this may be a very small amount, but isn't it still an abrasive? I too have real difficulty in ensuring fresh oil is at the right level (yes, I do know the kitchen paper trick) but I'm not convinced about this idea. What do PRM say, I wonder? 

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If it fits, just run it all into a bucket.  Saves messing about with a pump!

I can't get a bucket under the gearbox. I use a 5 litre oil container with a window cut out of the side about 1/3 of the way down. Drain the gearbox into the window, and you can then pull the container upright but the litre of used gearbox oil stays put.

ETA: Screw the top onto the oil container before you do anything else!

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I too have real difficulty in ensuring fresh oil is at the right level

A bit of trial-and-error (but don't overdo it)?

Edited by Machpoint005